Permission letter to take Grandchild on cruise

fastnloose

Hi cruisers, does anyone have experience of taking grandchild onboard with Solicitors letter giving parental permission? The template supplied by Celebrity mentions a notorised letter, but can a Solicitor provide this instead? Solicitors in our area are easy to find, but Notaries are not. I am hoping someone in UK can provide me with this information. Many thanks for any replies

Easy answer - Yes. Getting a notary in the US involves going to a bank or any of hundreds of places in any large city and paying a couple dollars. The opposite in the rest of the world. Just get a letter from a solicitor and if you feel more comfortable add to it a letter from the parents to tie all together. That along with a passport and you will all have a great trip.

PS - nobody ever asked us for a letter when with our grandkids.

Easy answer - Yes. Getting a notary in the US involves going to a bank or any of hundreds of places in any large city and paying a couple dollars. The opposite in the rest of the world. Just get a letter from a solicitor and if you feel more comfortable add to it a letter from the parents to tie all together. That along with a passport and you will all have a great trip.

PS - nobody ever asked us for a letter when with our grandkids.

Wondering if perhaps kids have same last name as grandparents in this case.

There is really no way for a cruise line to know that kids don't belong with an adult no matter the age, unless names aren't matching on passport and boarding documents.

But always arrive with whatever documentation is prescribed.

Hi cruisers, does anyone have experience of taking grandchild onboard with Solicitors letter giving parental permission? The template supplied by Celebrity mentions a notorised letter, but can a Solicitor provide this instead? Solicitors in our area are easy to find, but Notaries are not. I am hoping someone in UK can provide me with this information. Many thanks for any replies

You need to contact Celebrity and find out what they need, most Solicitors I would guess are notaries, I know they are or have them available in the states. The requirements can change from cruise to cruise depending on what countries you are visiting. Generally there is not a problem on a closed loop cruise where there are no overnight stays but the best thing to do is contact the cruiseline. Another problem that sometimes arises is the case of divorces, check again what is required, sometimes they want both parents, other times not. And after you go through this as the previous poster said, you may not even be asked for the letter but unfortunately you can't take that chance.

This subject has come up many times over the years and there are web sites that can help you. Couple of other points, they may want a seperate medical permission and many people get this confused but a passport is not permission to travel.

Edited by dkjretired

Hi

We as grandparents had a permission letter when we cruised disney.

It would be useful also in a medical emergency off the ship.

Yes, speak to celebrity about what they might like in wording but have something general also with you for use off the ship

Even if you don't need it - it is good to have.

Don't remember the exact wording but it gave TA permission to make medical decisions for the child and it was for a specific period of time

Happy sailing

Wondering if perhaps kids have same last name as grandparents in this case.

But always arrive with whatever documentation is prescribed.

Yes. We recently travelled to the US from Canada with our granddaughter (different last name) for a cruise and her notarized travel documents were checked at each border entry.

When we travel a few years ago with our grandson (same last name) and his friend (~17 yo, different name), we had a notarized letter. It was never even looked at - either when we checked in or at any boarder stop. This was in the Caribbean.

I do not know what the rules are in the UK but when we traveled with our granddaughter, we also got a notarized letter permitting us to authorize any medical treatment that she might need without having the medical facility contact her parents. If we did not have this, the facility might perform life saving treatment and then contact her parents for authority to proceed further.

Your granddaughter's parents need to contact her physician to find out what is required in the K.

DON

Speaking s a UK GP I would not know the legalities of medical treatment abroad for the child when travelling with grandparents. I would certainly check with celebrity what is required and obtain a letter as they suggest. No point checking with your GP as suggested.

Definitely check with Celebrity. I emailed the special needs department yesterday about a 'fit to travel' letter that I apparently need as I'm pregnant. Seeing the midwife next week for one. The reply I got was that their website isn't up to date (I had to laugh, really?!) and I don't need that letter anymore.

So despite what the website and others tell you, best to get it in writing from Celebrity.

Good luck!

Definitely check with Celebrity. I emailed the special needs department yesterday about a 'fit to travel' letter that I apparently need as I'm pregnant. Seeing the midwife next week for one. The reply I got was that their website isn't up to date (I had to laugh, really?!) and I don't need that letter anymore.

So despite what the website and others tell you, best to get it in writing from Celebrity.

Good luck!

Hi there,

Can you please link to this page so we can take a look and have it corrected? Thanks!

Hi there,

Can you please link to this page so we can take a look and have it corrected? Thanks!

Hi Celebrity

I read it a few weeks ago but unfortunately can't see the information on the new UK site now. I did contact celebrity UK via Facebook at the time and they confirmed that I would need a fit to travel letter. Also can't seem to find any reference on the US site. Looks like it's been removed recently.

All confusing and I'm still taking one with me just in case :)

Edited by Cooso

Good luck!

That requirement is also printed in the T&C published in their current brochures. If you do have an appointment coming up it couldn't hurt to have it with you. I always worry about the many information "disconnects" between Celebrity's policies as communicated in written materials, phone reps, and on board practices.

From the current Americas brochure 2014/2015:

PREGNANCY

Celebrity Cruises® welcomes guests who are pregnant,

but will not accept guests who will enter their 24th

week of pregnancy by the beginning of, or at any time

during the cruise or Cruisetour vacation. A physician’s

“Fit to Travel” note is required stating how far along

(in weeks) your pregnancy will be at the beginning of

the cruise, and confirming you are in good health and

not experiencing a high-risk pregnancy. The “Fit to

Travel” note should be faxed to the Access Department

at 954-628-9622.

Edited by Lsimon

That requirement is also printed in the T&C published in their current brochures. If you do have an appointment coming up it couldn't hurt to have it with you. I always worry about the many information "disconnects" between Celebrity's policies as communicated in written materials, phone reps, and on board practices.

PREGNANCY

at 954-628-9622.

Thank you! After reading stories of people being denied boarding, not risking going without one. Will only be 13 weeks at the start of the cruise and not showing much at the moment (12 weeks) so could probably lie but not worth it. I also worry hence me checking with lots of different sources and getting different answers, lol.

OP, sorry, I've hijacked your post a little!

Edited by Cooso

PREGNANCY

at 954-628-9622.

Larry

Hope everything is okay, haven't seen you in awhile

Although not with Celebrity, our notarized letters were very carefully checked--and all but one of the seven grandkids had the same last name as us. Our medical permissions were not notarized though, and they did not look at them.

I've heard that it is getting notarized letters is not as easy in the UK as it is in the US, but I'd be sure to get it done to be safe.

Edited by Nebr.cruiser

When I've traveled with other people's children, I've gotten a document from them giving me temporary guardianship of the child from date X to date Y, specifically stating that we were traveling from A to B and using what method.

OP, your solicitor should be able to provide what you need. A notary in the States is simply someone licensed to witness documents as an independent party. A letter giving the appropriate permission, written on letterhead of a solicitor, signed by the parents, and witnessed in the solicitor ' s office will likely be sufficient, but they will know for certain.

Contact X. If the last name is different, issues can or will arise. I took my bothers three kids and three of their friends on a cruise last year. I got the letters notarized for each of my brother childern. No problem there - same last name, they assumed they were my kids. But with 3 other kids, all from different families and divorced as well. Not quite as simple. Lots of paperwork and confusion upon embarkation. All issues were solved, but all parents were available by phone and able to fax.

Contact X. If the last name is different, issues can or will arise. I took my bothers three kids and three of their friends on a cruise last year. I got the letters notarized for each of my brother childern. No problem there - same last name, they assumed they were my kids. But with 3 other kids, all from different families and divorced as well. Not quite as simple. Lots of paperwork and confusion upon embarkation. All issues were solved, but all parents were available by phone and able to fax.
Thank you all for your replies. If we were in US things would be so much easier, but as we live in UK things are never straightforward. Our grandkids have different surnames to ours which also complicates things. I have called Celebrity several times and also e-mailed them and have had a different reply each time! If any UK citizens could help me with this query I would be very grateful. However thanks to all our fellow cruisers in US who have taken the time to help.

Sorry you are finding this such a hassle, but it is important for you all that the documentation is absolutely correct. If you go to: thenotariessociety.org.uk and put in your post code, it will give you contact details of your nearest notary public. Then just call them and make an appointment.

Hope this helps

Sorry you are finding this such a hassle, but it is important for you all that the documentation is absolutely correct. If you go to: thenotariessociety.org.uk and put in your post code, it will give you contact details of your nearest notary public. Then just call them and make an appointment.

Hope this helps

I read someplace that it is very expensive to get a document notarized in the UK, something in the order of 80 GBP. Is that right?

Clearly there is a different concept of notarizing documents in the USA and UP.

In the USA is pretty easy and inexpensive to be a notary. As a result just about every bank, insurance office, law office and most mid size or larger general offices have at least one notary. In a past job I had our office secretary become a notary so we wouldn't need to run out to get documents notarized. You can generally get items notarized at no cost at place you do regular business at such as a bank, law office, or insurance office. At worst it would cost a small amount, usually $5 or less, to have a document notarized at other types of local businesses who provide various services. Here a notary is basically just someone registered with the state who will be a special witness to your signature. They'll check appropriate ID if they don't know you already and then sign as verification that the signature is yours. As a result it is pretty common to require all sorts of documents to be notarized here.

Edited by Lsimon

Let's try this again. You do not need a notary! Paying the equivalent of $100 or more is crazy. The concept of a notary is different in the US from the entire rest or the world. I have taken my grandchildren overseas with both notarized letters of permission (they live in the US) and a letter attested to from a solicitor (they live in the European Union - Italy and the UK). In Australia for example to get a document notarized you need an attorney to schedule a meeting with a judge. Different!

Get a solicitor to attest that you have permission to take you grandchildren with you on the cruise and specify where and when. That will work just fine. As another person said you also definitely should get a medical permission to act in "loco parentis" or in place of the parent should they need any sort of medical attention. This could be done at the same time, but should be on a separate document.

We have travelled several times with our niece who was a minor at the time and basically, aside from her birth certificate, used the following format. It has never been questioned and covers most situations that might come up.

As far as having a solicitor witness or notarize this document ?????? I can be of no help.

========================================

I or WE (PARENT'S NAMES)the parents of (CHILD'S NAME AND DATE OF BIRTH) authorize (YOUR NAME, RELATIONSHIP AND DATE OF BIRTH) to take (CHILD'S NAME, RELATIONSHIP AND DATE OF BIRTH) on the following cruise from (EXAMPLE: JANUARY 23, 2015 TO FEBRUARY 12, 2015) TO (EXAMPLE: FORT LAUDERDALE TO THE CARIBBEAN, INCLUDING STOPS IN PUERTO RICO, ST. THOMAS, ST. KITTS etc...) as well as to or from any other locations needed for his/her safe return..

I or WE (PARENT'S NAMES) authorize ( YOUR NAME ) to sign legal documentation/waivers for ( CHILD'S NAME ) TO PARTICIPATE in any activities WHERE REQUIRED (i.e. Rock Climbing, Flowrider, Bungee Trampoline, Inline Skating, Ice Skating AS WELL AS ANY OFF SHIP EXCURSIONS).

I or WE (PARENT'S NAMES) authorize ( YOUR NAME ) to supervise the child and IF NECESSARY MAKE ANY NEEDED MEDICAL OR OTHER EMERGENCY DECISIONS FOR ( CHILD'S NAME ) ON MY/OUR BEHALF IF WE CANNOT BE CONTACTED).

SIGNED AND NOTARIZED OF COURSE BY BOTH PARENTS IF POSSIBLE!

OMO

bosco

Edited by boscobeans