Port Vila is on the road to recovery - will you come back?

Bellamariya, thanks so much for the report of how things are looking over there! Do you work there?

Yes we live here and own a business. We, along with many locals are shaking our heads and wondering why this stop was cancelled, we are ready and waiting!

Bellamariya owns the La Tentation restaurant on the Port Vila waterfront ....she doesn't promote it on these boards,but I can confirm it's one the best restaurants in Port Vila.

We visited the restaurant twice on a land vacation at the Le Lagon resort.

Thanks for your lovely compliment aussie cruzer :)

They did say that after the hurricane they were waiting for navigational clearance in the port. A lot of debris was washed into the harbour, and I believe they still have to check the channel.

Was there any damage to the port buildings and/or the wharf?

We saw shots of the harbour during the full force of the tempest and I could not believe it was so wild in what is a sheltered harbour.

After previous hurricanes cruise ships have been welcomed as they can deliver much needed supplies of drinking water if needed

I have just completed the 18 day Fremantle to Sydney via Southern Australia and New Zealand cruise.

Appeals were made by the Radiance team to donate any items which the ship would drop in Vanuatu.

There was a large box set up at the Reception desk [about 1mx1mx1m].

After Dundein it was overflowing. By Sydney, it was an effort to get to some of the reception desk locations.

A great response by the cruisers should be welcomed somewhere in Vanuatu.

Port Vila is ready for the visitors to come back!

So when are you planning to visit?

If the next cruise I go on to the South Pacific goes there I'll be more than happy to visit Port Vila or anywhere in Vanuatu. :) We were sad that our Mystery Island stop was cancelled on our last cruise as we have never been to Vanuatu before.

In the aftermath of Cyclone Pam I have watched Port Vila transform itself into a cleaner, brighter version of its old self.

Two weeks down the track and the power is back on in most areas, town water supplies are clean and drinkable and for many it is business as usual as most businesses in the main street were open within days of the cyclone passing.

In the last few days I have spoken to many people. The Chief of Mele tells me that Cascades looks wonderful, better than ever. The dive shop down the road has taken video footage of the reefs and dive sites and declared they are looking great. The largest indigenous tour company in Vanuatu is ready to resume tours. Many resorts are advertising that the are open and ready to take bookings.

Port Vila is ready for the visitors to come back!

So when are you planning to visit?

Thank you SO much for the update Bellamariya! Great hearing how Port Vila is getting back on her feet again. One day we'll be back again, but for now it's saving pennies towards that goal :)

I remember you giving suggestions for activities before my cruise last year- we ended up just walking about town, appreciating the people and how they share their home town with us :)

How did the first visit go? We received a photo from P&O of passengers disembarking today in Vila.

Have just seen a live report from Vila showing and speaking with the stall holders at the port. a cruise ship was tied alongside and people off the ship were buying. Prices have gone up to compensate for a month of no sales but no one seems to mind. Everything purchased helps out the locals.

A positive for the tourists is that taxis are limited to 5 at a time at the port area. If one has been to Vila one will appreciate my comments.

The stall holders all appear to be in good spirits.

When you visit Vila guys dig deep we can afford to give until it hurts.

A positive for the tourists is that taxis are limited to 5 at a time at the port area. If one has been to Vila one will appreciate my comments.

Ahhemmmm.....less "taxis"......well yes, that would be good, as well as less that are not taxis.....

Many make complete pests of themselves, vastly different to New Caledonia. Although they are not meaning any ill will, controlling these people would be of benefit if kept that way.

PS a lot of the ones in Vila are not locals, they come from all over.

It was wonderful to see the streets and businesses filled with visitors again :)

We haven't put our prices up at all, lol didn't even think to do that ;)

Tomorrow we have Pacific Pearl arriving and it feels like life here is returning to normal.