Dollar bills - UK

leehal

I just pick the cheapest FCA authorised dealer from Money Saving Expert.com - the "who's best" seems to change fairly frequently.

Also, we were on a cruise ex Southampton on the Eclipse and were told that crew would take Sterling or Euros in tips

They will only be able to spend the sterling in UK.

Euros can be spent more extensively in Europe.

just out of curiosity...whay does anyone need a large number of ones?

except for strip clubs...lol

So that we can follow the guidance given by Americans on how and when we should tip. It does make me wonder, then, why those from the US then question why we need the dollars.

So that we can follow the guidance given by Americans on how and when we should tip. It does make me wonder, then, why those from the US then question why we need the dollars.

But on Celebrity, there's 18% added to drinks, and a daily service charge. The general recommendation seems to be not to tip for every drink at the bar (18% has been added), but to acknowledge particular outstanding service during the cruise.

For example, we made little use of room service, so didn't tip, but had an excellent assistant waiter, whom I tipped on the last night of the cruise - but not in $1 notes/bills!

Stuart

But on Celebrity, there's 18% added to drinks, and a daily service charge. The general recommendation seems to be not to tip for every drink at the bar (18% has been added), but to acknowledge particular outstanding service during the cruise.

For example, we made little use of room service, so didn't tip, but had an excellent assistant waiter, whom I tipped on the last night of the cruise - but not in $1 notes/bills!

Stuart

Yes that is how we operate as well.

Stuart

But that does not account for the complimentary beverages - e.g. Elite cocktail "hour", Elite+ coffee/chocolate and Elite scoop of Gelato. We do sometimes tip an additional dollar for great bar service and the occasional other service. We both make sure that we carry a few dollars with us wherever we go on board. It all adds up.

I am UK based and need to order some US Dollars to use on board for tips etc.

Does anyone know any foreign exchange companies where you can request $1 bills rather than a mixture?

We always order our dollars in advance and request 100 x 1 dollar bills. Never had a problem doing it this way. We normally use thomas Cook and they will always match the exchange rate. We either drop into our local branch or give them a ring to order.

I am confused. I have prepaid my gratuities and always leave extra for room attendant and waiters. Am I supposed to be tipping for gelato, a diet coke, etc...

There is no "supposed to" for additional tipping.

People have different tipping styles. Many, perhaps the vast majority, just pay the recommended gratuities and that's it. Others give something extra to the room attendant, bartender, waiter who has given what they feel is extra effort to make their trip enjoyable. Some give $10 or more to the same folks at the beginning of the cruise hoping to get more exceptional service. Some who get "free" drinks at the elite cocktail hour give a tip to the waiters...$1 a drink is often mentioned...but others may give them $5 or more at the beginning of the cruise hoping they will get better service or a table "reserved" for them.

I do think the one "supposed to" is that you shouldn't remove gratuities because things are done differently in your home country. The folks who get the gratuities count on them as part of their wages...whether or not you think that's the right or wrong way for Celebrity to compensate them for their work.

Edited by ghstudio

I am confused. I have prepaid my gratuities and always leave extra for room attendant and waiters. Am I supposed to be tipping for gelato, a diet coke, etc...

Simple answer NO... As you mentioned most of your tips are prepaid so nothing else is expected... If you find particular good service and wish to tip extra then feel free but every drink you buy or get with a package has the tip included or added to the bill!

Don't stress over it and enjoy your cruise! [emoji41]

Absolutely no need to be peeling off the singles each hour. You are doing what you are comfortable with and I am sure it reflects more than some do but the same as what many do

Thanks for the clarification. I would never remove my gratuities, nor do I mind the tip added to my bill at the bar, and I have no problem leaving extra for others, but I do not plan on handing out dollar bills on my Baltic cruise. Sounds like I am fine with this plan.....

yes, marks and Spencer's, if you have one of there credit cards you get a better rate of exchange. Whatever place you choose if you want any amount of one's in bills size then you need to preorder them as most places won't keep $100's worth in such a small commodity.