Room Service No Longer Free - NCL Starts $7.95 Charge Per Order

doggfan7

I suspect Continental breakfast will only be served between certain hours.

Yes FDR may gain additional revenue through RS but how much business has he lost through this charge and the increase in charges recently introduced as people have cancelled cruises or considered alternatives to cruising??

I was considering a birthday cruise with them later in the year but no longer.

I suspect he won't know what potential business he may have lost for some time. However if people are happy to pay - their choice.

Annie

You are so right. On the one hand I feel like we did get something by expressing our displeasure but on the other hand I feel like we have just been hoodwinked at the same time.

You are correct if folks are happy with this option and are OK with paying,Then it's nothing more to say

Agreed, time will tell if this was worth it for him in the long run. He should pray that people will have short memories...

Sent from my SM-G900P using Forums mobile app

Yes FDR may gain additional revenue through RS but how much business has he lost through this charge and the increase in charges recently introduced as people have cancelled cruises or considered alternatives to cruising??

I was considering a birthday cruise with them later in the year but no longer.

I suspect he won't know what potential business he may have lost for some time. However if people are happy to pay - their choice.

Annie

As I said before, anyone who believes that NCL didn't perform due diligence on the projected collateral damage of 'passenger" loss is ill informed on how business works. They didn't just roll this new policy out on a whim believe me.

Many here have said that Del Rio is far from done and with that I can agree because there are plenty more "levers" for him to pull to reach his objective.

Happy Sailings,

TheCapt

This "trial run" was such a lever and it could have been social media but I suspect that it was more actually feedback from those in the trial run than some grand social media campaign. That's neither here nor there however.

I agree, I think they were looking for feedback from the actual passengers that were receiving the test and what they were or were not spending on board or not. This coupled with Carnival's (which I feel was the biggest factor related to their decision) recent announcement are probably the reasons for NCL to keep a few items without a service charge.

Well if it is tryue then this points back to the post where I quoted Del Rio when he said he has "many levers to pull" when it comes to getting the $4-$5 dollars per customer/per day he discussed in his interview.

This "trial run" was such a lever and it could have been social media but I suspect that it was more actually feedback from those in the trial run than some grand social media campaign. That's neither here nor there however.

As I also said, if this trial run "fails" or isn't as successful as NCL had hoped, they will adjust accordingly just like every other business does with these new policy "rollouts"

Trust me just because this "trial" may have only been partially successful or maybe not at all in MCL's mind, Del Rio is going to get the $4-$5 dollars per one way or another. It's his job to increase profits.

There is no way he's going to accomplish this and keep every longtime or first time cruiser happy. It's unrealistic to believe otherwise.

Happy Sailings,

TheCapt

thecaptain1969 is 100% correct!

This is only the beginning, more and more fee(s) to come....... :D

thecaptain1969 is 100% correct!

This is only the beginning, more and more fee(s) to come....... :D

I sense the MDR, buffet and/or price of specialty restaurants'cover charge are next. That or charging seats at the free sundecks....

Sent from my SGH-T399 using Tapatalk

wow. they compromised but gave the higher rate.

i wonder if they will serve the continental breaksfast all day?

$9.38 per order including the gratuity I hope each order is worth that convience.

do you know how much projected net revenue (or is that net income)NCL has just added to their bottom line in free money per year?

just think almost $10 a cabin per order, per day, per cruise, per week...thats pretty darn good.

Some said, well its only $7.95.

LOL Mr. FDR is saying cha ching cha ching cha ching..we are a business and our job is to make a profit:D

Where do get $9.38? You don't pay the 18% gratuity on the service charge. The 18% gratuity is charged for the up charge menu items.

I sense the MDR, buffet and/or price of specialty restaurants'cover charge are next. That or charging seats at the free sundecks....

Hi

I suspect it could be a new business model for cruise pricing.

My instinct re NCL has always been that you pay for cabin and breakfast.

Everything else is chargeable.

Now how that would play out in the North American market, I have no instinct. In Europe, I suspect it would not be received well.

Hence my reluctance to sail with them.

Annie

Edited by anniegb

Only problem with this, Annie, is that you lose their deposit so NCL make more money and get to resell your cabin! Win-win for NCL.
Do you really think that anyone really cancelled their cruise. There was so much complaining about some of the changes Celebrity made a couple of years ago and a lot saying they were cancelling and never cruising with them again and they are all there, even the one poster who swears he doesn't cruise with them any longer. These cruise lines are a lot smarter than some think, they know most of it is all talk and no action.

Where do get $9.38? You don't pay the 18% gratuity on the service charge. The 18% gratuity is charged for the up charge menu items.

I think she meant - $7.95 plus the 18% is $9.38 per order; can be one item or 8 items per order.

Do you really think that anyone really cancelled their cruise.

This is just one persons anecdotal evidence, so accept it for whatever you will; every May we take a quick get away and always book that last minute. Given NCL's willingness to make unilateral changes with no notice I am not willing to make a booking with NCL that is immediately within final payment/penalty period.

My fall 2015 and 2016 cruise bookings with NCL are not in penalty period, so I can still have a wait and see attitude regarding those. The rapid fire changes since those bookings were made in Jan/Feb of this year have really made me pause to consider if I trust the company to deliver what they had advertised as a booking inducement. Like I said, I have time to keep a wait and see attitude on those.

Furthermore, in other postings you've pointed to the fact that CC members are statistically insignificant or something to that basic effect, so why now point to a handful of members on the Celebrity board who are a rounding error in something that is statistically insignificant? CC members may not make up a large statistic of cruisers on any given line or ship at any given time, but they are what is known as influencers.

Edited by LMaxwell

As I said before, anyone who believes that NCL didn't perform due diligence on the projected collateral damage of 'passenger" loss is ill informed on how business works. They didn't just roll this new policy out on a whim believe me.

Many here have said that Del Rio is far from done and with that I can agree because there are plenty more "levers" for him to pull to reach his objective.

Happy Sailings,

TheCapt

I agree somewhat

But my only problem is: NCL is not like a Walt Disney World for example Disney, They have customer loyalty like no other. They have been selling dream for many generations. There is only ONE magic kingdom. So they can charge $100 for a park ticket (1) and the people will pay. They have outrages pricing, crowds and lines galor. As well as Over price merchandise, ect. but it doesn't matter. They rake in Millions a year in spite of that. People know you are going to pay for the Mickey experience. They have built that solid brand so they aren't worried about if they over charges or not The know they have the monoply on Mickey Mouse. Peoples dreams come true at Disney for young and old. So its understandable if they pull a move like this. they know there customer will pay at any price if they want the Disney experience. Its unique. No other place in the world offers it.

But cruising is a different ball game. too much competition. Too many cruise lines close in amentities and prices that he would have to have a stand out product to take that arrogant attitude. IMHO This and other decisions he has made, is taking huge risk that the customers are just stupid and can't see the forest for the trees.

*i think* They rolled it out on a whim, but they rolled the dice to see if they can get away with it. It was ballzy (sp).I say that because it all happend AFTER Sheehan left. So you can't tell me it has never been on the table before. More than likely Sheehan didn't want to do it because of the type of man he was. He cared about his customers. Now that Sheehan is out, its open season....

Im just saying Its a very bold move.

strickly my opinion.

Edited by tiffygirl

This is just one persons anecdotal evidence, so accept it for whatever you will; every May we take a quick get away and always book that last minute. Given NCL's willingness to make unilateral changes with no notice I am not willing to make a booking with NCL that is immediately within final payment/penalty period.

My fall 2015 and 2016 cruise bookings with NCL are not in penalty period, so I can still have a wait and see attitude regarding those. The rapid fire changes since those bookings were made in Jan/Feb of this year have really made me pause to consider if I trust the company to deliver what they had advertised as a booking inducement. Like I said, I have time to keep a wait and see attitude on those.

Furthermore, in other postings you've pointed to the fact that CC members are statistically insignificant or something to that basic effect, so why now point to a handful of members on the Celebrity board who are a rounding error in something that is statistically insignificant? CC members may not make up a large statistic of cruisers on any given line or ship at any given time, but they are what is known as influencers.

In other words, you did not cancel any cruises.

My reasoning for pointing out the Celebrity cruises, just like those on here, they posted that they were cancelling all their cruises, but in the end they really didn't and I would bet that the cruise lines (just like NCL), felt that they were just talking the talk and would never make that walk.

Edited by NLH Arizona

Hi

I suspect it could be a new business model for cruise pricing.

My instinct re NCL has always been that you pay for cabin and breakfast.

Everything else is chargeable.

Now how that would play out in the North American market, I have no instinct. In Europe, I suspect it would not be received well.

Hence my reluctance to sail with them.

Annie

Cruises have been la carte for decades now, this is just more of it. For the record, one pays for room and full board but yet specialty dining is separate charge - Rhetorical question, why's is that different from the room service fee that's happening now?

Only problem with this, Annie, is that you lose their deposit so NCL make more money and get to resell your cabin! Win-win for NCL.

That only applies to bookings not made via the US office. Many UK cruisers, and there is one who posts in that other place, uses a US TA wherever possible.

Any cancellation to a US booking only incurs penalties after the final payment date.

Annie

In other words, you did not cancel any cruises.

Yes, I have not cancelled anything. I may not cancel anything. I might cancel. Remains to be seen.

I have stopped lobbying friends to join us on NCL cruises though.

And I have eliminated NCL as a choice for our May vacation.

yes, they are charging (confirmed) a 18% grat on the fee!!

no it doesnt not say that on the menu. but if there is a charge on anything on the ship regarding meals/drink 18% is added.

Cruises have been la carte for decades now, this is just more of it. For the record, one pays for room and full board but yet specialty dining is separate charge - Rhetorical question, why's is that different from the room service fee that's happening now?

Room service was 'grandfathered' into complimentary dining in all the brochures.

Had FDR announced a forward date when this fee would be implemented, this thread would not be 90 pages long.

Annie

PS Speciality dining seems to have more popularity amongst NA cruisers?? never used it myself unless it was complimentary and yes there are still ships without fee-paying restaurants.

Edited by anniegb

More than likely Sheehan didn't want to do it because of the type of man he was. He cared about his customers.

Lobster was deleted under Mr. Sheehan's regime and, guess what, he didn't reduce the fares to compensate for this, after all you know darn well that they are saving money by not serving it in the MDR any longer. There were complaints from those customers he cared about, but don't think that changed his mind or maybe I just missed that he reinstated it.

yes, they are charging (confirmed) a 18% grat on the fee!!

no it doesnt not say that on the menu. but if there is a charge on anything on the ship regarding meals/drink 18% is added.

Confirmed, where?

There have been a lots of "facts" stated here that have not been confirmed.

Yes, I have not cancelled anything. I may not cancel anything. I might cancel. Remains to be seen.

I have stopped lobbying friends to join us on NCL cruises though.

And I have eliminated NCL as a choice for our May vacation.

My point stands, you didn't cancel anything, so NCL has not felt any impact on those that said they were cancelling their cruises.

Time will tell, if your other two examples will have any negative impact on NCL. I have my doubts, but I'm sure you think differently.

because NCL said my fare includes Room Service. They never said my fare included specaility resturants.

huge difference

like buying (another disney example) a park hopper ticket i paid for 6 months ago for $450 base ticket includes Magic Kingdom , Epcot, Disney's Hollywood Studios and Disney’s Animal Kingdom.

Then i show up at animal kingdom on my vacation. and they say oh sorry we are charging you $50 convience fee to enter, but we have expanded the park to included the new antartica so you can see the polar bears. Its a test, Florida location is $50 and California location is $35 and we rolled it out yesterday.

So I paid for it in my base ticket fare as advertise, now you saying if i want to enter this park i got to pay an additional $50. Oh but you say I can go to the other parks because they are still "free"....

what is the difference from what ncl did and my example....? Same concept.

would you not feel some kind of way about that? IJS

Edited by tiffygirl