Room Service No Longer Free - NCL Starts $7.95 Charge Per Order

doggfan7

"Norwegian Cruise Line is offering an enhanced room service menu on board Norwegian Getaway and Norwegian Breakaway. The new menu offers an expanded selection for breakfast, in addition to a wider variety of options available 24 hours. Individual items on the menu remain available on a complimentary basis and a convenience charge of $7.95 will be added to each order placed.

To provide our guests with more options as a part of their Freestyle Cruising experience, coffee and continental breakfast selections will not attract a convenience charge. Room service orders placed by guests sailing in The Haven will also not incur a charge.

Room service is one of up to 29 dining options offered across the fleet, and guests continue to be able to enjoy a wide array of complimentary choices onboard 24 hours a day."

NCL UK has issued this advice.

Thank you for your email.

Norwegian Cruise Line is offering an enhanced room service menu on board Norwegian Getaway and Norwegian Breakaway. The new menu offers an expanded selection for breakfast, in addition to a wider variety of options available 24 hours. Individual items on the menu remain available on a complimentary basis and a convenience charge of $7.95 will be added to each order placed.

To provide our guests with more options as a part of their Freestyle Cruising experience, coffee and continental breakfast selections will not attract a convenience charge. Room service orders placed by guests sailing in The Haven will also not incur a charge.

etc etc

We are now trying to ascertain if/when these charges will be rolled out across the fleet.

Annie

I would copy this e-mail and bring the it with you as I believe this is NOT how it is being handled on the two ships "testing" this new Conveniance;)

Also as we all know the other lines are not just watching to steal away business with better pricing, more importantly they are watching NCLs "test run" of the RS model. I have no doubt that if this works for NCL you will see similar things implemented on the other lines.

I believe that it was already stated that CCL rolled out a similar RS menu(they however did a much better job with their rollout from what I have heard/read though)

Like any industry there are always changes and how consumers accept or deal with them determines the course of action a particular industry takes.

Happy Sailings

TheCapt

I have no issue with them charging a fee, I have an issue with them advertising it as complimentary and then charging for it. As I said in my previous post they are STILL advertising it as complimentary even though they have started charging. Even in the US this can't be legal surely (pretty sure its illegal in the UK as advertising is classed as implied terms of a contract).

Posted by NCL.

If this is true (a link would be nice), then it shows that speaking out about things you don't like can have an effect on a company.

I suspect the first feedback surveys from GA and BA have come in and the tone of them left NCL in little doubt that they had dropped a colossal male round thing!

I suspect the first feedback surveys from GA and BA have come in and the tone of them left NCL in little doubt that they had dropped a colossal male round thing!

This being the whole purpose of a test. I'm sure people complained about the charge for the coffee & such, and maybe not so much on the enhanced items.That is what 99% of those complaining online have stated- all they use if for is the morning cup of coffee, danish/croissants- which is in fact all I use it for as well.

WOW !!!!!! :D Good news..

Now...all I need to know....just Haven..or all suites .:confused:

It has to be suites also, however, since they're talking about the Breakaway and the Getaway those ships have no suites....only Haven.

Both suites and Haven use Butlers so if it goes fleet wide I'm guessing it has to be both.

Harriet

If this is true (a link would be nice), then it shows that speaking out about things you don't like can have an effect on a company.

My thing is what results did they think this pop quiz was going to produce.

Who is there right mind would co sign on that BS. Yes we understand you want to increase your bottom line. but do you honestly think the majority are going to say yes, i want give up my included amnetity pay for room service fee for EVERY order ??

i don't understand it? LOL maybe its just me.

Edited by tiffygirl

Of course, this is classic way to introduce a new charge. They probably always intended to keep coffee and continental breakfast free but by making people pay for it all and then appearing to back off everyone says "Oh, that's OK then, not as bad as I thought it would be". Whereas had they decided to bring in a charge on "other" items only from the start people would moan at this erosion of their "included services".

My thing is what results did they think this pop quiz was going to produce.

Who is there right mind would co sign on that BS. Yes we understand you want to increase your bottom line. but do you honestly think the majority are going to say yes, i want give up my included amnetity pay for room service fee for EVERY order ??

i don't understand it? LOL maybe its just me.

I don't think the NCL suits understood it either;).

Norwegian Cruise Line is offering an enhanced room service menu on board Norwegian Getaway and Norwegian Breakaway. The new menu offers an expanded selection for breakfast, in addition to a wider variety of options available 24 hours. Individual items on the menu remain available on a complimentary basis and a convenience charge of $7.95 will be added to each order placed.

etc etc

We are now trying to ascertain if/when these charges will be rolled out across the fleet.

Annie

NCL UK is not NCL USA, so I'm still not convinced. Maybe NCL decided they couldn't get away with this underhanded crap in the UK as mentioned by many UK posters.

I had hoped that the final convenience charge would be the $4.95 from the Getaway trial. It looks like they are going with the Breakaway $7.95 for both ships now.

What is this based on? I may have missed a post somewhere in this haystack.

What is this based on? I may have missed a post somewhere in this haystack.

See below:

etc etc

Annie

and also in this thread.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2193745

NCL UK is not NCL USA, so I'm still not convinced. Maybe NCL decided they couldn't get away with this underhanded crap in the UK as mentioned by many UK posters.

The couldn't get away with pulling the stunt in Europe because they would have go through a regulatory body 1st, unlike the US where they can do it anytime without warning.

Sent from my SGH-T399 using Tapatalk

Of course, this is classic way to introduce a new charge. They probably always intended to keep coffee and continental breakfast free but by making people pay for it all and then appearing to back off everyone says "Oh, that's OK then, not as bad as I thought it would be". Whereas had they decided to bring in a charge on "other" items only from the start people would moan at this erosion of their "included services".

I would say it is more likely a combination of things including uproar on various sites online, the response on board and Carnival's enhanced menu. It does look bad that, what many perceive to be the budget line (not my opinion), don't even charge for coffee and a pastry breakfast.

I do think if they want to keep their appeal with families they should add milk and cookies and kid's meals to the 'no convenience fee' group.

Rochelle

It has to be suites also, however, since they're talking about the Breakaway and the Getaway those ships have no suites....only Haven.

Both suites and Haven use Butlers so if it goes fleet wide I'm guessing it has to be both.

Harriet

I agree Harriet...BUT I just don't trust NCL right now :o and hope ( if it goes fleetwide) we will get something concrete by our June cruise....;)

I am on Breakaway today. Starting this sailing, all room service charges regardless of time receive a $7.95 charge!...

This is just one way cruise lines respond to downward price pressure. (The ones are slowing down speeds and cutting the food budget.)

By charging a fee NCL reduces demand and therefore sends home several room service waiters. In their cabins there might now be an art dealer, B&W photographer, acupuncturist or other revenue-generating functionary.

The public has demanded "deals". A clear case the one should be careful what they ask for. :eek:

Edited by BlueRiband

Harriet

Harriet

NCLs use of the term "Haven" still leaves some unanswered questions. There are three + classes of ships in the NCL Fleet.

Epic, Breakaway, Getaway & Escape all have "Havens".

Some Suites are physically located IN the Haven and all the other suites, which are on seaparate decks, have access to the Haven. All suites regardless of where they are located are "Haven Suites"

Jewel, Jade, Gem & Pearl, when built had a "Courtyard" which has been renamed "Haven".

But, only the suites physically located in the Courtyard/Haven (And Owners' suites) have access to the Haven.

The question is: do suites, which are Non Haven suites, have to pay the new room service convenience charge?

So far, NCL has not answered that question.

Sun, Sky, Dawn, & Spirit Do NOT have Courtyards/Havens.

The question is: do suites on ships with No Haven, have to pay the new room service convenience charge?

So far, NCL has not answered that question.

John

Edited by Uniall

wow. they compromised but gave the higher rate.

i wonder if they will serve the continental breaksfast all day?

$9.38 per order including the gratuity I hope each order is worth that convience.

do you know how much projected net revenue (or is that net income)NCL has just added to their bottom line in free money per year?

just think almost $10 a cabin per order, per day, per cruise, per week...thats pretty darn good.

Some said, well its only $7.95.

LOL Mr. FDR is saying cha ching cha ching cha ching..we are a business and our job is to make a profit:D

Edited by tiffygirl

I doubt it. But that would be standard for this, and other lines. I have no issue with the complimentary continental breakfast items being available during the standard breakfast time period which is probably 6AM-10AM or 11AM. That's industry norm.

Well if it is tryue then this points back to the post where I quoted Del Rio when he said he has "many levers to pull" when it comes to getting the $4-$5 dollars per customer/per day he discussed in his interview.

This "trial run" was such a lever and it could have been social media but I suspect that it was more actually feedback from those in the trial run than some grand social media campaign. That's neither here nor there however.

As I also said, if this trial run "fails" or isn't as successful as NCL had hoped, they will adjust accordingly just like every other business does with these new policy "rollouts"

Trust me just because this "trial" may have only been partially successful or maybe not at all in MCL's mind, Del Rio is going to get the $4-$5 dollars per one way or another. It's his job to increase profits.

There is no way he's going to accomplish this and keep every longtime or first time cruiser happy. It's unrealistic to believe otherwise.

Happy Sailings,

TheCapt

wow. they compromised but gave the higher rate.

$9.38 per order including the gratuity I hope each order is worth that convience.

do you know how much projected net revenue (or is that net income)NCL has just added to their bottom line in free money per year?

just think almost $10 a cabin per order, per day, per cruise, per week...thats pretty darn good.

Some said, well its only $7.95.

LOL Mr. FDR is saying cha ching cha ching cha ching..we are a business and our job is to make a profit:D

I suspect Continental breakfast will only be served between certain hours.

Yes FDR may gain additional revenue through RS but how much business has he lost through this charge and the increase in charges recently introduced as people have cancelled cruises or considered alternatives to cruising??

I was considering a birthday cruise with them later in the year but no longer.

I suspect he won't know what potential business he may have lost for some time. However if people are happy to pay - their choice.

Annie

You may be correct, but we will never know. It is kind of like Celebrity; some where not happy with their changes, so what did they do, they reinstated the nightly chocolates on the pillow...just little bone....and everyone thought they were given the world. Businesses are a lot smarter than some think.