Christmas/NY Cruises

tvaud

We will be taking our first Christmas/New Year cruise this year. Can any of you chime in on what it's like? Photos of decorations or events on board? Do you decorate your cabin?

We will be on the Ocean Princess.

We will be taking our first Christmas/New Year cruise this year. Can any of you chime in on what it's like? Photos of decorations or events on board? Do you decorate your cabin?

We will be on the Ocean Princess.

Lots of festivities going on....music in the atrium, Santa visit, nicely decorated, crackers (pull apart rolls with a paper crown and a couple of other things) at Christmas dinner, Christmas stocking on your bed, and lots of other events. I like cruising at Christmas even though I am not really into Christmas anymore.

Royal Princess was beautifully decorated for our New Year cruise. The decorations remained until we disembarked.

There was a countdown using the MUTS screen and there were pictures from all the world. Not much really going on after that. They gave out hats for the men and tiaras for the ladies (cardboard).

Some lovely items in the buffet, special carvings etc.

Was on the Emerald several years ago with our young teenage grandaughter. The ship was decorated to the nines. Santa arrived on the "stack" with a gift for every child. There was Christmas caroling, (crew organized with passengers), special church services, hot chocolate, egg nog, etc. It was a wonderful cruise. Go for it!

Our last three cruises have included Christmas and New Years. On the last one (2012/13)' date=' the Christmasy decorations came down on 12/26, but the ship was still festively decorated for the rest of our cruise.

Some decorations:

SANY0019_zps591da6e1.jpg

SANY0028_zps4e11696f.jpg

SANY0036_zps3a56473a.jpg

Love seeing all of the decorations! I wonder how different it will be on the much smaller Ocean Princess? Even if they only have a tree up somewhere, it will still be special.

Maybe this will start a new Christmas tradition for us. My husband's service dog will be along with us, so maybe I can get him some reindeer antlers or something festive to wear.

Maybe this will start a new Christmas tradition for us. My husband's service dog will be along with us, so maybe I can get him some reindeer antlers or something festive to wear.

For your husband or for the dog?

We've been on a NY cruise. Wonderful!

One TV station was running a crackling fire all the time. When we would come back to our room every night, the lights were on low and the fire was on.

Each mailbox had a small floral decoration till about the 6th of January.

There were gingerbread houses displayed in the piazza until NYE. Then the huge Croquembouche showed up outside the main dining rooms.

There was an early celebration on England time (we were on our way to Hawaii) during the afternoon in one of the venues so if you wanted to celebrate their new year, you could go there.

Dinner was a formal night. At each place setting was a hat and horn. Streamers were handed out later in the evening. There was a screen added along the elevators in the main part of the piazza where they could stream in one of the US countdown shows. Lots of the crew had family onboard and they were all there celebration, sneaking a minute to give their loves ones who were on duty a hug, to introduce them to others. . .Lots of dancing, streamers, and a balloon drop as well.

About 15 minutes after 12:00, they place was emptied! There were other venues that kept the party going but, as I was sick with a cold, I left the partying to the others and went to my room.

All very festive and Princess did a lovely job in making it that way!

We decorate our cabin door with a long piece of Christmas wrapping paper. Add some tree trimming trinkets and some garlands from the Dollar Store. We even have battery operated twinkling lights that we have on during the day and early evening. Tape everything with some good scotch tape. It is easy to take down and doesn't harm the doors or door frames. We have received numerous comments from fellow passengers of how nice the door is.

Love seeing all of the decorations! I wonder how different it will be on the much smaller Ocean Princess? Even if they only have a tree up somewhere, it will still be special.

We had made some pumpkins out of felt and put on our (dearly departed) rescue lab's collar every Halloween. He loved greeting the trick n' treaters and whenever we took off his collar to "decorate" it, he would start anticipating the fun he would have.

Four different Christmases on the Pacific and Emerald Princess:

http://pescadoamarillo.blogspot.com/search/label/Christmas

Three different New Years on the Emerald Princess:

http://pescadoamarillo.blogspot.com/search/label/New%20Years%20Eve

Love the blog, photos and videos! Did the caroling take place during the day? I was disappointed to see everyone so casually dressed at that point. I love dressing up for the holidays. Don't passengers dress up?

Love the blog, photos and videos! Did the caroling take place during the day? I was disappointed to see everyone so casually dressed at that point. I love dressing up for the holidays. Don't passengers dress up?

Thanks!

I think on the Pacific Princess it was early evening. On the Emerald Princess it was in the afternoon at least one time. I don't think the caroling was actually on Christmas Day; usually it's Christmas advert and on the Pacific Princess it was the day before that.

Sometimes Christmas Day is formal dress but not always. New Years Eve almost always is.

Thanks!

I think on the Pacific Princess it was early evening. On the Emerald Princess it was in the afternoon at least one time. I don't think the caroling was actually on Christmas Day; usually it's Christmas advert and on the Pacific Princess it was the day before that.

Sometimes Christmas Day is formal dress but not always. New Years Eve almost always is.

OK, if the caroling took place during the afternoon and not actually on Christmas Eve or day, then I can understand them not dressing up...or at least in a more festive way. I am already looking for Christmas t-shirts and tanks to wear during the day to be in the spirit.

Some people wear Christmas-y things but most do not. There are more Santa hats than anything else. Some people decorate their doors but most do not. One thing that surprised me when we started taking Christmas cruises was the number of people on board who seemed to cruise at that time to get away from the holiday, for either religious or other reasons (ie recently widowed). The cruise director has to walk a fine line in keeping everyone happy, and, except for that year the Emerald Princess played Christmas songs 24/7 starting early December, they do a pretty good job, though if the sight of Christmas decorations bothers someone, it would be a tough time to cruise.

Some people wear Christmas-y things but most do not. There are more Santa hats than anything else. Some people decorate their doors but most do not. One thing that surprised me when we started taking Christmas cruises was the number of people on board who seemed to cruise at that time to get away from the holiday, for either religious or other reasons (ie recently widowed). The cruise director has to walk a fine line in keeping everyone happy, and, except for that year the Emerald Princess played Christmas songs 24/7 starting early December, they do a pretty good job, though if the sight of Christmas decorations bothers someone, it would be a tough time to cruise.

Well, we plan to dress Christmassy. If I can find some extra room to shove in some decorations, I will. Our family dynamic has been changing over the last couple of years, so we want to find a new way to celebrate the holidays. I'm hoping to find a new tradition here.

On New Year's Eve, we will be in Virgin Gorda till 5pm...not exactly normal port times for a formal evening. I wonder if they will adjust the port time.

On New Year's Eve, we will be in Virgin Gorda till 5pm...not exactly normal port times for a formal evening. I wonder if they will adjust the port time.

The time to be back on board will be 4:30. Formal evening to follow.

Christmas on ship will be wonderful! However since you are sailing out of NYC, take time to see the sights. Top of the Rock should be great and after that sightseeing, try a Christmas time dinner at "City Lobster & Steakhouse" just 2 blocks west of "TotR". One of the best meal we have ever had! :D (Expensive thought.) :eek:

Christmas on ship will be wonderful! However since you are sailing out of NYC, take time to see the sights. Top of the Rock should be great and after that sightseeing, try a Christmas time dinner at "City Lobster & Steakhouse" just 2 blocks west of "TotR". One of the best meal we have ever had! :D (Expensive thought.) :eek:

Actually, we are leaving out of Miami, not NYC. Since I lived in NYC for many years and worked there for many more, I've seen all the sights...caused a few too. ;)