Meditteranean in November

LA Native

We are considering Splendour of the Seas out of Venice Nov 7 to Dubrovnik, Rhodes, Kusadasi and Split. I have looked up weather and it could be cold and rainy. Also realize advantage of fewer crowds. Would love to hear from folks who have done the Med in November. Was weather a problem for sightseeing? Rougher seas than other times in the Med? Any input? Work schedule gets in way of more desirable October and we like this itinerary. Thank you!

We have done the Eastern Med in November. 12 day cruise. We had one rainy day. Most were cool, in the 60's.

I can believe that.

But for us the weather changed mid-October. Grey & very cold, some rain.

Luck of the weather.

But seriously pushing your luck in November.

JB :)

Google Acqua Alta in Venice. We were in Venice October 27-30 and the flooding had already started. By the time we reached home, photos of San Marco Piazza were all over the news. Venice was not real pleasant in the pouring rain and flooding.

I would definitely pick a little earlier timeframe, if I were to go again.

It is good you are going east. We left Civitavecchia on Nov. 14 and went as far as Antalya, Turkey. We also went to Cyprus and Alexandria before finishing in Athens. There was a shower in Alexandria before we disembarked and a heavy rain shower in Athens a couple days after our cruise ended. Other than that it was sunny and temps at least in the mid 60s. I guess every year is different.

There were no crowds in Ephesus on a beautiful sunny day.

Edited by maryann ns

Because of work constraints, we frequently find ourselves heading to Europe in November, so I can relate. I have followed these "how's the November weather" in the Med threads for years and mentally make notes of some of the nastier things I've read.

Agree that Venice is the greatest itinerary issue due to the flooding. After Venice, the major concern would be a bit more rain than usual. We had cool rainy weather in Dubrovnik one year heading to Venice (which had slight flooding), but then sunny 70's in Kotor on the way back. On another cruise farther south than your intended itinerary we had mid/high 70's in Cyprus and Alanya.

November is much more a crap shoot for the western itineraries. Villefranche had it's tender pier destroyed one year and there were major floods in another in Cinque Terre (actually that was October). Last year I also recall some ships stuck in southern Spain ports because of weather and delayed and/or missed ports in Morocco. But, then again. one year sailing into Barcelona to end a cruise after Thanksgiving everyone was out at the pool on the last sea day. Another year we had great weather in Nice for a November land trip - remember running in shorts. For some reason Rome has always been kind to us...with low 60's and sunny skies,

Even with the invariable weather, we prefer doing things in the Med in November rather than trying to fit in a Caribbean in early December. This year, we're leaning toward a southern Spain land trip for a change and perhaps a little better weather. Considered a land Canary Islands where the weather might be more ideal, but decided we'd probably go out of our minds with boredom. That said...it looks like Malaga had some of it's worst floods on record in....November. :eek:

But, November weather is usually pretty crummy here in the Midwest so we'll take our chances.:)

Edited by buggins0402

Don't forget that when Venice is flooded as the tide recedes so does the water. It isn't underwater for the whole day. All the shops sell plastic shoe covers.

It has quite a party atmosphere. The other year I saw two people completely wrapped up in bubble wrap. People dance in P. St Mark.

I bought wellies. It rained for three weeks out of a month but like l'Oreal, it was worth it!

I have taken a number of Med cruises in late October through late November timeframe.

The weather in Venice and the Adriatic at that time of year is a little more variable (e.g., a little higher chance of foggy, rainy, chilly weather) than the true Eastern Med (Turkey, Greece, Israel, etc.)

The seas are a crapshoot, you can have weather that affects them whether it is summer or winter. I have had a few ports cancelled, mainly small tender ports where the difficulty of managing the tendering process was seen as too risky.

On one cruise, the weather was bad enough that the Port of Rome (Civitavecchia) actually closed and we could not enter. However, that is a rarity, and as already noted, there is a greater chance of wind and rain in the Western Med at that time of year.

My advice? Take the cruise, dress in layers and take a GOOD, truly waterproof but lightweight jacket. Layer a fleece underneath it if needed for warmth. Shoes that are water proof or at least water resistant would be a plus as well.

It does get dark earlier, and the skies may not be as pretty, which could impact photos.

But I'll take it any time over the hectically crowded and infernally hot summer season in the Med....

In addition to less crowded sites and no brutal heat that Cruisemom mentioned, November does have some other advantages. Flight prices are usually at least a couple hundred dollars lower and sometimes one can score a base miles FF flight. Also, I've seen hotel prices drop considerably between October and November for the pre-cruise stay. However, there does seem to be fewer ships sticking around in November than a few years ago, so there is less choice.

Lots of places start to wind down or shut up shop around November too with the exception of the very major cities that glitter all year round.

Most European holiday makers have had their last break in half term holidays (late October) so things start to wind down after that.

Just something to consider.

Lots of places start to wind down or shut up shop around November too with the exception of the very major cities that glitter all year round.

Most European holiday makers have had their last break in half term holidays (late October) so things start to wind down after that.

Just something to consider.

I'm not sure that's particularly true insofar as cruise ports go. I've been to Mykonos port a couple days before Thanksgiving and all the stores were open and doing a booming business announcing "end of season" sales. I mention it particularly as it is known more as a summer resort, but the same can be said for many other places I've been at that time of year, including Corfu, Trapani, Antalya, Crete, (3 different ports), etc. As well as the bigger cities, of course.

About the only place I can think of where you might find fewer places open (possibly) is Capri, but there are a plethora of other things to do from Naples/Sorrento.

(And I have a pretty strong feeling the merchants in Kusadasi port open up any day a cruise ship is in, no matter the season....)

These responses are so helpful. And so varied. The other time we could go is end of August and once I read about mosquitoes in Venice that seemed like a no-go. Hmmmmmmm........hard to leave sunny LA for a Med cruise with rain and gloom. Got to ponder this some more.

Can't thank you enough for all the responses.

And if anyone thinks we should reconsider going end of August please speak up.

Btw, whenever we go we will stay two days in Venice and a few days in Padua.

Thx again.

The thing is, you don't know what the weather will turn up. It could be glorious or dismal.

The aqua alta is tide ruled so could be sunny yet damp underfoot. Ok then, up to your knees!

One year we went to Venice in September and the mozzies were awful. There again it was half heat rash I was scratching. Can be very hot in August and, apparently, a bit smelly.

Also very very crowded which is worse than the mozzies. You need to be up and about very early to see the buildings before the cruise and other visitors arrive. Take photo's without a million heads in the picture.

I wouldn't pick August but I think November is a bit late.

Just gone back to your original post.

Is it this year? If so I would strongly advise looking for your accommodation in Venice in August. I always book at least a year in advance if not more. Now there is also the George Clooney effect.

Padua is nice. Fab market and the St Anthony relics and church are well worth a visit.

Also half the price of Venice for a 4 euro single train fare on local trains.

Google Acqua Alta in Venice. We were in Venice October 27-30 and the flooding had already started. By the time we reached home, photos of San Marco Piazza were all over the news. Venice was not real pleasant in the pouring rain and flooding.

I would definitely pick a little earlier timeframe, if I were to go again.

It isn't rain that floods Venice it is the tide: if you visit at the time of the full moon or the new moon - say a two or three span each per month - particularly if there has been a prevailing wind from the south, you will have flooding - and September and March are the likeliest months.

Rain can happen any time, at least in November, you will be free of the crowds.

These responses are so helpful. And so varied. The other time we could go is end of August and once I read about mosquitoes in Venice that seemed like a no-go. Hmmmmmmm........hard to leave sunny LA for a Med cruise with rain and gloom. Got to ponder this some more.

Can't thank you enough for all the responses.

And if anyone thinks we should reconsider going end of August please speak up.

Btw, whenever we go we will stay two days in Venice and a few days in Padua.

Thx again.

I would not pick August under any circumstances. All of Europe goes on vacation then (and especially Italy, for the last two weeks).

It isn't rain that floods Venice it is the tide: if you visit at the time of the full moon or the new moon - say a two or three span each per month - particularly if there has been a prevailing wind from the south, you will have flooding - and September and March are the likeliest months.

Rain can happen any time, at least in November, you will be free of the crowds.

Yes, come to think of it all our pictures of St. Marks have blue skies for a back drop. Our flooding was minimal, we didn't need the elevated walks through the square. I do remember someone on our roll call researching the tides beforehand.

Also, we walked right into the cathedral, there was no line.