Irony on board

Kingofwylietx

I don't want to discuss the merits of either of these....but the irony is staggering.

Not too long ago, we had multiple threads where people were incensed about the low pay cruise ship employees receive.

Now, it looks like NCL listened (this probably wasn't the true catalyst) and increased gratuities in a couple of different ways. Now people are irate that there are increased gratuities, which on the surface is a way to eradicate or diminish the previous complaint that the employees were not paid well enough.

Without discussing any merits or debating any position, what other ironic topics can you think of?

-Smokers looking for more places to smoke while nonsmokers look to avoid it.

-People listing ways to save chairs while others complain about a lack of chairs near the pool.

-People trying to get non-suite family/friends on the ship in priority boarding while others complain of too many people being in the priority boarding area.

-Cruisers who get a great price drop on a long-booked cruise vs a last minute booker only seeing their price going up.

This thread is for topics only, no debating or arguing for or against either side. Please copy/paste my ironic topics and add yours to the list.

Moderators: feel free to delete this thread if people can't restrain themselves from debating the merits of the topics. This is meant to be fun thread for those that have noticed ironic topics over time. With all the different people on here, it is expected that the motives and biases of people will differ....

Like this, I'll add one more:

-People listing ways to save chairs while others complain about a lack of chairs near the pool.

-People trying to get non-suite family/friends on the ship in priority boarding while others complain of too many people being in the priority boarding area.

-Cruisers who get a great price drop on a long-booked cruise vs a last minute booker only seeing their price going up.

-Some topics where people are worried about the specialty restaurants being too full vs threads saying that how great it is to get the UDP or to book before the dining package promo ends.

It's ironic that OP would assume without any proof that just because service fees were raised that crew would be better paid, and then ask for other similarly illogically connected assumptions to be brought up to be pooh-poohed.

Threads about how far in advance one must book shows and restaurants before setting food on the ship on a line that claims "Freestyle - do what you want when you want."

It's not "freestyle" when you need to book in advance

It's ironic that OP would assume without any proof that just because service fees were raised that crew would be better paid, and then ask for other similarly illogically connected assumptions to be brought up to be pooh-poohed.

This thread can end. We have a WINNER!! Very well said.

6&8

@Shawnino - I'm not debating for or against the gratuities...I only stated why they are ironic topics to tie it all together as an example. Re-read my original post, it was neither for or against.

I'll consolidate:

-Some topics where people are worried about the specialty restaurants being too full vs threads saying that how great it is to get the UDP or to book before the dining package promo ends.

-Threads about how far in advance one must book shows and restaurants before setting foot on the ship on a line that claims "Freestyle - do what you want when you want."

Edited by Kingofwylietx

Irony that some people on NCL Cruise Critic boards think the UDP, UBP, and room service is mantadory requirement for everyone's vacation enjoyment fail to realize that not everyone is like them. Telling them that those 2 nickel and dime ploys are for extras not included in the cruise fare anyway along with saying a 16oz travel mug is bigger than the urn they serve coffee /water plus the tini tiny children's teacups to drink from for room service - Is like flaming blasphemy around here.....

Edit: Let's not get start trying telling them the work around using the buffets regarding room service charge, that it self is it own sad irony - how do they think people been doing when they don't want order RS but don't want to seat at buffet either.....

Edited by maywell

@Shawnino - I'm not debating for or against the gratuities...I only stated why they are ironic topics to tie it all together as an example. Re-read my original post, it was neither for or against.

You're missing their point. NCL has not increased gratuities. They have not increased the pay of the staff. They have added/increased service fees that go straight to corporate. No connection = No irony.

You're missing their point. NCL has not increased gratuities. They have not increased the pay of the staff. They have added/increased service fees that go straight to corporate. No connection = No irony.

I'm sorry but what is that $.95-2.95 increase to DSC, then? Chooped liver? Herniated disc? What is it?[emoji52]

It goes back to what the OP - they prices of everything via tips / service charges for the staff and now couple posters on the CC forums have lose their common sense over extras that can be mostly avoided by not paying or super simple work around.

Sent from my SGH-T399 using Tapatalk

Edited by maywell

Maybe so for room service, but the DSC did go up. Perhaps I used a bad example, I only picked it as an example because it is the most current issue. I don't have a dog in that fight, you can check all my posts. I care so little about it that I got it wrong...:p Let's chalk it up to a bad example.

-Threads about how far in advance one must book shows and restaurants before setting foot on the ship on a line that claims "Freestyle - do what you want when you want."

Threads about how far in advance one must book shows and restaurants before setting food on the ship on a line that claims "Freestyle - do what you want when you want."

^^^ irony doesn't begin to explain that....

Edited by cliffd64

...and you know this to be a fact, how?

Is it confirmed that all these added coats go to corporate? Or the employees?

Albo, that is being covered in a different thread. This one is not for discussing it. This is just supposed to be fun thread about different topics. Please see the original post.

Albo, that is being covered in a different thread. This one is not for discussing it. This is just supposed to be fun thread about different topics. Please see the original post.

Some people are so windup by 'hidden extra fees' on the forums they didn't bother to read the thread 1st post, which unto itself is its own irony......

Apparently they are, those threads are steaming ahead full speed.

When one is that upset, its amazing the steam is not coming out ears and looking red like a cartoon....Just saying....

Um -15% to 18% on booze; 18% on speciality dining; 0.95/2.95 on DSC; all within the last couple of months - I think you need to do a bit more reading.

Those are increases in gratuities in anyone's language. Testing 'convenience fees' of $4.95 or $7.95 for previously advertised free stuff is plain extortion.

Where that money ends up is a whole different issue - given NCL's apparent contempt for their customers, I'm betting that the corporate bottom line is getting a nice massage.

Test Criteria - how far up the fundament can we shove this before the subject squeals?

Well IMHO NCL can shove their mega-ships and sharp practices up the same place - that might make their corporate eyes water:p.

(Sorry about all of the bottom references - it just seems appropriate given NCL's apparent race to the bottom):rolleyes:

The most IRONIC thing I've seen on these boards today is NCL apologizing for the inconvenience of the new convenience charge for room service.

Folks have posted emails received from NCL PR using that precise language, and just now Andy Stuart, head of NCL was reported to have apologized for the inconvenience in his monthly webinar to TAs.

-NCL apologizing for the inconvenience of the new convenience charge for room service.