Gondola tickets, Venice, Italy

maggie3

Several years ago DH and I were able to buy, from the American Express office in Venice, tickets for a half-hour evening gondola ride at the cost per person of $25 U.S.. I realize the cost will have risen, but can any recent traveler to Venice please advise, first of all, whether there is still an American Express office in Venice, and of course, whether they still sell the gondola tickets and what is the current cost?

I think the regulated cost of a gondola ride now (the prices went up fairly recently) is 80 euros for 30 minutes in the day and around 100 (or maybe 110) euros in the evening (this is the price for a whole gondola which holds up to 6 people). But as there are gondolas all over the place, I'm not sure I see the advantage of buying a ticket beforehand. What if it's pouring with rain when you visit?

Several years ago DH and I were able to buy, from the American Express office in Venice, tickets for a half-hour evening gondola ride at the cost per person of $25 U.S.. I realize the cost will have risen, but can any recent traveler to Venice please advise, first of all, whether there is still an American Express office in Venice, and of course, whether they still sell the gondola tickets and what is the current cost?

When I was in Venice in 2008 (I think that was the year) there was an AMEX office in Venice. The last few trips to Venice (2011, 2012 & 13) that AMEX office was no longer there.

Gondolas can be easily booked in person - you don't need to pre book. Sorry, but I have never heard of a $25 half-hour gondola rides - perhaps someone has info on this.

$25 sounds inexpensive but it was probably a shared tour so up to 6 people would be on the gondola.

I've seen VIATOR advertise shared gondola trips for around $45 so that's probably the going rate that tour companies are charging for a shared ride.

The current rate for a private ride is 80E during the day, 100 at night. If you're lucky you might come across a gondolier who has had a slow day and is willing to bargain on the price.

Info on gondola pricing:

http://europeforvisitors.com/venice/articles/gallivanting_by_gondola.htm

p.s. the Amex web site shows Rome as the only office in Italy

Yes, our gondola ride a few years ago was shared with four other people. It was in the evening and the singer and music on a beautiful evening were memorable. This time we will negotiate and perhaps, on our own find others to share. We've enjoyed Venice several times over the years, and our favorite activity has been getting "lost". We see so much more that way. We are ready, once again, for the gondola experience. Yes, it is kitschy, like hula dancers and leis in Hawaii, and very much worth doing!

Mapleleaves already posted the cost so we will move on from there :). There is really no such thing as "gondola tickets" as most of the gondoliers are independent operators (many of them own their own gondolas which cost big bucks). While there are specified prices (i.e. 100 Euros for 35 min) everything is subject to negotiation. So, you can simply walk up to any gondolier and try to negotiate a lower price and/or a longer ride. If you do not like the gondolier or are unhappy with the deal you can simply walk away and find another gondola. Supply and demand, time of day, weather, etc. all can impact the actual cost.

And I will repeat my advice (oft posted here about gondolas). They are tourist traps, but most would say its worth the money :). Before you find a gondola, stop at a local shop that sells wine and buy a bottle of nice Italian vino. Then have the shop pull the cork (you can lightly record to keep the wine in the bottle) and give or sell you a couple of plastic wine glasses (easy to find at places that sell wine). Then, when you are riding on your gondola you can sip some vino as you enjoy the view.

Hank