Hyatt Regency Boston: Walk to Pier?

Cinders411

We are staying at the Hyatt Regency in downtown Boston before our RC cruise on the Brilliance in Oct. The hotel website indicates it is only 1.5 miles from the port. DH & I will only have 1 medium rolling suitcase each. Is this walk doable? We are mid 50's and in fair physical shape. Thank you for anyone who can help me decide. I have read that a taxi ride would be about $30. Does anyone know if a taxi is really going to cost $30 to go 1.5 miles? It would be on a Sunday so the downtown traffic should not be too heavy I am thinking.

Edited by Cinders411

I could do that walk in about 40 minutes (without luggage), and I'm older than mid-50's and in unfair shape. Personally, I would be annoyed by dragging even one item of rolling luggage that far on sidewalks and across curbs and through crosswalks. But if you know that you're OK with that part of it, it's definitely possible. Some of the walk is rather industrial-park-ish and somewhat boring. If I were not in a hurry, and I had no luggage, walking would my preference to get from that point A to that point B.

$30 seems a little high for a taxi, but not really unreasonable. Traffic can be bad in downtown Boston at any time, even Sunday morning, depending on what's going on in town, and many random unpredictable factors.

If you do decide to walk, you'll probably pass South Station after less than 15 minutes, and you could easily bail out of the walk and take the Silver Line (bus) from South Station to the cruise port ($2.60 per person, I believe), which might help you make the decision.

Be sure it's not the Hyatt Regency in Cambridge ... that's a different story entirely, a cab would be the only mode I would consider from there.

Edited by Blue Mudshark

Not as familiar with Boston as 138east, BUT Silver Line (part of the T) lets you off directly in front of the terminal.....easy pesay and cheap...

(You'll have to walk across the roadway, but it's not like crossing a busy street...)

I agree about the $10+ Taxi fare.

However, the Red Line/Silver Line ($2.75/pp) is easy if you can carry your luggage down the station steps. The short cut to the Red Line from the Hyatt is to take the elevator to the garage level (don't go out the main entrance) and walk out the garage exit onto Chauncy Street. Make a left and the Downtown Crossing Red Line entrance is a block away at Summer Street. You take any Braintree or Mattapan train one stop to South Station. Do NOT exit the station. Look for the escalator or elevator transfer to the Silver Line. Take the SL2 bus (get on the rear doors for more luggage room) to Black Falcon Terminal.

If you don't want to carry your luggage down steps, when you get to Summer Street and make a right and walk down to South Station where there is elevator access to the station concourse from the street and then elevator access to the Silver Line after you pay your fare. IMO it's a long uninteresting walk on the street to Black Falcon Terminal. I've done it as far as World Trade with a group from work - only something I'd do for social reasons.

If you're flying in, you can reverse the trip on the Silver Line from the airport - this is a free trip from the airport. When you transfer at South Station to the Red Line direction Alewife, you want to amble towards the back of the train so you come out near Chauncy Street. Look for the garage entrance - it's the easiest and shortest way into the Hyatt.

IMO taking the free Silver Line from the airport is the very best deal. I almost always use it to go to and from the airport. The transfer at South Station is easy because they put in escalators and elevators when they rebuilt the T station.

However Downtown Crossing T station is another story - not luggage friendly. Lots of stairs and very confusing. Coming from the airport consider exiting at South Station, walking down Atlantic Ave to the cab stand, and blowing the few dollars for a ride to the Hyatt.

On one airport trip I decided to find the handicap accessible transfer from the Orange Line southwest bound to the Red Line southbound at Downtown Crossing. No elevator inside the Downtown crossing station! The accessible route sent me along an underground passage northbound to the next station (Park St) where there is an elevator down to the Red Line southbound.

If you want to escape the Downtown Crossing station from the northbound side, you have to search for the exit that has a very long escalator up to the street. Have your map of the local area handy so you can find Chauncy Street.