Q.E. Accident

zider

At some point people (and societies) have to acknowledge that everything in life involves some risk.

You are preaching to the converted. You should direct your comments to the current generation of people who want to control all our lives through a nanny state; also, to all the 'do-gooders' and the politically correct. If the changes I have seen in my life time are extended to the next generation there will come a time when it will be too dangerous to get out of bed let alone to leave the house!

I remember some time ago the head of the Health and Safety Executive here in the UK gave a TV interview.

What was interesting was that she said that a lot of these prohibitions due to 'health and safety' had little to do with health and safety and a lot to do with the fear of being sued :rolleyes:

I remember some time ago the head of the Health and Safety Executive here in the UK gave a TV interview.

What was interesting was that she said that a lot of these prohibitions due to 'health and safety' had little to do with health and safety and a lot to do with the fear of being sued :rolleyes:

"Health and Safety Executive" brings to mind a routine performed by John Cleese on Month Python - involving the Ministry of Silly Walks. As an objective observer, I would be inclined to think that matters of health and safety might perhaps be handled by such agencies as a department of labor, or health department, or education department - each being better able to address their particular spheres, each of which would have particular concerns --- I cannot imagine that such departments in the UK would not already have such responsibility. But I suppose having such an "executive" assists in efforts to achieve full employment.

I have every sympathy for the lady who died and her family following the tragic tendering accident.

A few years ago my wife and I were on 'Song of America' and went off by tender at Cabo San Lucas. It was calm when we left the ship, but whilst ashore the wind blew up and the sea became quite rough. We spent an hour on the return tender just wallowing about in the sea because it was too heavy to approach the ship. It was extremely uncomfortable and people were sick everywhere. The stench was awful. The ship manoeuvered around to help the tendering situation. When we arrived at the side of the ship the tender was all over the place and the ships' crew fought valiantly to stabilise the situation. As I went to get off the tender on to the ship the tender pulled violently away from the side of the ship. I went straight down between the gap and as my feet entered the water, two crew men, grabbed me, one under each arm pit, and whisked me straight out of the water. If they had not been so prompt I hate to think what might have happened. Due to the tendering difficulties the ship left Cabo several hours late.

This episode frightened me to death and I still have nightmares about it. Tendering is a disaster waiting to happen and I am amazed there aren't more accidents particularly with the introduction of mega ships where tendering is more prevalent. I have great respect for the crewmen involved with tendering. If it was a land procedure I doubt whether Health & Safety would allow it.

Safe sailing!

This story is exactly my nightmare. I remember once being on an NCL ship and exactly the situation you describe happened. I got back on board when it was getting mildly hairy but it was fine. A couple of hours later I went up top to watch the tendering. I hadn't realized the magnitude of the swells that had started. There was an easy 6 foot differential between the trough of the swell and the crest. The crew was essentially throwing people into the ship when the swell would crest but of course the tender would go right back down again with people half in the ship and half on the tender. Thank god for the crew. IMHO it was far, far too dangerous to continue tendering but I could see the sweltering people standing in lines waiting to tender back on board. I forget where we were but there was no shade from the sun. I think of that time when people ask if their very elderly relative would like X or Y excursion.

I have every sympathy for the lady who died and her family following the tragic tendering accident.

A few years ago my wife and I were on 'Song of America' and went off by tender at Cabo San Lucas. It was calm when we left the ship, but whilst ashore the wind blew up and the sea became quite rough. We spent an hour on the return tender just wallowing about in the sea because it was too heavy to approach the ship. It was extremely uncomfortable and people were sick everywhere. The stench was awful. The ship manoeuvered around to help the tendering situation. When we arrived at the side of the ship the tender was all over the place and the ships' crew fought valiantly to stabilise the situation. As I went to get off the tender on to the ship the tender pulled violently away from the side of the ship. I went straight down between the gap and as my feet entered the water, two crew men, grabbed me, one under each arm pit, and whisked me straight out of the water. If they had not been so prompt I hate to think what might have happened. Due to the tendering difficulties the ship left Cabo several hours late.

This episode frightened me to death and I still have nightmares about it. Tendering is a disaster waiting to happen and I am amazed there aren't more accidents particularly with the introduction of mega ships where tendering is more prevalent. I have great respect for the crewmen involved with tendering. If it was a land procedure I doubt whether Health & Safety would allow it.

Safe sailing!

I had the exact same experience on the Song Of America tendering from Labadee. I didn't fall but it was a two hour process for the tender to mate up with the shp. Scary, to say the least.

So scary & sad. I was about to read story to hubby but thought better of it. He hates tendering so I don't want to give him any nightmares. I get upset when they've cancelled ports. This reminds us safety first.

So scary & sad. I was about to read story to hubby but thought better of it. He hates tendering so I don't want to give him any nightmares. I get upset when they've cancelled ports. This reminds us safety first.

Hi Kerry. Since you live in NY, no doubt you are aware of docking mishaps that happened on the Staten Island Ferry in recent years. These incidents are rare, but they do happen. Just my opinion, but we can learn from the past and make informed decisions based on fact and our individual needs and wants.

For example, on the SI Ferry, passengers are told to remain seated until the ferry has docked, although this advice is routinely ignored. And on cruise ships, perhaps having information regarding the tendering process is better than not knowing the risks. Whether or not to take the tender is an individual decision.

Personally, I have really enjoyed riding the tender from QM2 to various ports. But now that my left knee isn't quite what it used to be, I'm wondering if it wouldn't be better for all concerned if I just stayed on board ship and avoided the tender.

Whether or not to take the tender is an individual decision, but it is a decision that affects the entire ship. -S.

Edited by Salacia

Oh my dears, what a tragedy. Such terrible news :(

My deepest sympathies to the family, friends, fellow passengers, crew and the captain.

No holiday should ever turn out like this for anyone but it is true, that we all do take a certain risk when we truly decide to live our lives to fullest. Every time you leave the house, you are at risk of something possibly occurring. It is all part of the human experience. I do hope Cunard isn't held responsible if it was just a missfurtunate accident.

Are any details of what exactly happened available yet?

God bless the Queen Elizabeth and all who sail in her.

Marge

xo

Our sympathy for the family of the passenger who passed following the accident. They could not have been on a better ship to offer medical assistance. But circumstances could not allow medical efforts in time.

I know we all go on cruises for rest and relaxation but it's a job too to use caution during the cruise. Watching safety on land and at sea.

We too have experienced during our decades of cruising the tender operations can be smooth and can be challenging especially with multiple vessels coming and going nearby the ship's tender stations.

It is so important to watch and listen to the Crews instructions on boarding and also walking up and down the ladder and floating platform.

Our Sympathy and Sleep in Peace.....

Many excursions have a degree of physical fitness attached to their description. This helps people sort out whether this is suitable for them. Boarding a tender is another activity which varies enormously according to sea and weather conditions. One of the problems is that you cannot work out the feasibility early enough to cancel excursions without penalty.

On the other hand you do not know whether people suffer from a sudden medical condition nothing to do with the tricky nature suddenly presented to you. A sudden AAA and you are doomed even if you are in bed.

This is a very sad incident and I feel bad for those closest.

Kind Regards John

With all due respect to the deceased and her grieving loved ones, does anyone have any further information regarding this fatal accident? We can learn from past experiences, hopefully. Thanks, S.

Hi Salacia.

I have also been wondering this? Thank you for asking.

marge

xo

Hi Salacia.

I have also been wondering this? Thank you for asking.

marge

xo

I am on board and nothing more has been said at the moment. There are all sorts of enquiries to be gone through and I imagine we won't hear anything for a while. As you know, I worked for an airline and it was the same there. Never any quick answers. Hope this helps.

I am on board and nothing more has been said at the moment. There are all sorts of enquiries to be gone through and I imagine we won't hear anything for a while. As you know, I worked for an airline and it was the same there. Never any quick answers. Hope this helps.

Hello Dreamflightpat.

Thank you for the quick response :)

Of coarse! Yes I now realise that there must be quite an investigation that needs to take place before any details can be confirmed and reported. Thank you Kindly,

Bless

Marge

xo