Boring poolside atmosphere

Scotto97

We just got off the Ruby California Coastal cruise, we had cruised Princess once before and liked it.

We felt this cruise was boring. No sailaway BBQ. Music in the atrium was a violin...how about a duo of easy listening, that would have appealed to many more.

Nightly entertainment was lacking also.....

The cruise director was older, maybe that was part of it.

This was my 9th cruise, BTW

Sailaway BBQ? Never had one of those.

The CD was older? Hmmmmmm. :eek:

I miss the live bands at pool side as well. Overall, it seems that Princess is scaling back on their entertainment...shortening production shows, having less entertainment options and special performers on board.

On our last cruise on the Coral in February, many nights went by where we were looking for entertainment options after dinner. Even the television options in the cabin were minimal. Maybe that's the plan...taking out the Universe Lounge on the Island and Coral means less entertainers they have to hire...money maker vs. revenue taker? Hmm...

UGH, they were awful! I have some health issues and need to rest quite a bit. TV was the same few movies over and over, or The Love Boat. I was hoping at least for TBS, for some sitcoms!

Interesting thread. I always like the Princess pools concept and agree that so many Princess cruise work hard and like relaxing by the pool. I bring my own music and relax by the pool and go for a swim to cool off when not watching the ship pass through the ocean. Is that so bad? To be honest, I do the same when we're on Royal Caribbean on sea days.

Sailaway BBQ? Never had one of those.

The CD was older? Hmmmmmm. :eek:

Possibly on the poster's one other Princess cruise they had a sailway BBQ and a young CD. Or not. I think some people would just be happier not sailing Princess rather than trying to change it. (I've been trying to think which CD would be classified as "older.")

Possibly on the poster's one other Princess cruise they had a sailway BBQ and a young CD. Or not. I think some people would just be happier not sailing Princess rather than trying to change it. (I've been trying to think which CD would be classified as "older.")

Billy Hygate is the only one that comes to mind without looking at the CD list.

He's OK in our book.

Edited by Colo Cruiser

What is on each side of the big screen on the upper deck pool, yes stacked concert speakers.

I am not asking to crank up a MegaDeath concert or some Gangster Rap just give us something with a beat that we can bust a move to or at least tap our foot not a fall asleep with a book environment, is there not plenty of other places on the ship and other pool choices to do that then the main pool with stacked concert speakers?

Yes we do bring our own music and head phones with us, again just my thoughts.

John,

We only saw the CD in the Princess Theater. I wished he would have come around more.

Was it maybe Bob Leininger, the "famous" one. LOL. I was on one of the first cruises he did with Princess a couple of months ago. He's new, so I'm not sure if he's figured out how to "do" Princess. His Wake Show was repetitive and not helpful. My daughter said he looked like a B-movie star from the 50s, so maybe that's why he seemed old. LOL.

Was it maybe Bob Leininger, the "famous" one. LOL. I was on one of the first cruises he did with Princess a couple of months ago. He's new, so I'm not sure if he's figured out how to "do" Princess. His Wake Show was repetitive and not helpful. My daughter said he looked like a B-movie star from the 50s, so maybe that's why he seemed old. LOL.

No, his name was Billy.

On my most recent Princess cruises on sea days (and there was about ten of them on each of those:) ), if it was warm enough for passengers to be lounging on the pool deck, then there were plenty of them in the deck chairs or in the pool. Plus MUTS (usually in the morning a movie set in Hawaii or a pretty recent to DVD kid-friendly movie, afternoon either sports or one of those infamous concert films). So not exactly so quiet you can hear a pin can drop.

For those who wanted activities, there were hula classes, zumba classes, lei making classes, uke classes, daytime trivia, movies in the Princess theater, and most likely a ton of other things to do inside the ship.

I think there was even some form of "Passenger Olympic" competition over several days, but I didn't check those out.

So if someone wanted something to do, the CDs had provided plenty of things to do. One of those CDs kinda phoned it in (he was substituting for a very popular one who was on vacation) but the other two we had were excellent. Maybe that's the key rather than making suggesting loud music or having a frat style party to give a different atmosphere.

Everyone has different opinions on what they want at the pool. THAT'S WHY THERE ARE 4 POOLS!!

But by that logic, a ship would need 3,000 pools in order to satisfy everyone since "everyone has different opinions on what they want at the pool." Even if one assumes that one of the pools should have live music, what should that music be? Reggae? Rock? Soul? MoTown? Swing? Chamber Music? Rap? Hip Hop? Opera?

That's what I understand OP to be pointing out. If there are pools for those who want quiet, there should be pools for those of us who love music. We shouldn't have to switch cruise lines for that reason.

Since the invention of earbuds, doesn't it make more sense for people who love music to use them at the pool? There is no way that a cruise ship can pump in music that is pleasing to all 500 people sitting around a pool, either in musical style or volume. But if people bring their own music and their own earbuds, isn't everyone better off? To an observer, it might look like a "boring, quiet pool." But at the micro level, each passenger is enjoying exactly the style and volume of music that is to their liking. ...Or none at all.

I'm confused. If you're mocking Princess than why is your cc name Princess Luver? Do you need to change it to Carnival Luver?

No need for name change and I like many things about Princess.....but to suggest that Princess has no room for improvement and is the end all to end all is rather comical...I hope I do not have to change my name to Nursinghomeluver though....:)

I've told a number of the complainers that if they don't like it here then pay the fee and " Go To The Sanctuary ".

John

How nice of you, John, to explain to everyone that it's your way or the highway.

Jim

No not at all Jim, just a friendly suggestion your comment is a perfect example of how threads get high jacked and off topic, Jim many cruisers feel that the upper deck pool has a boring environment that is the topic at hand.

John

That is why I love Princess so much is because there are so many pools all with different atmospheres. I will only go to one of the adult only pools. I find the main pools WAY too crowded and loud and not conducive to how I want to cruise. I will sit at MUTS if I'm watching football or a movie but i would NEVER find a lounger at the main pool.

(Which has me scared of other lines if they think Princess is too tame. Yikes! :D)

I love everything about Princess cruises except the lack of good live music. On our first Princess cruise in 2000, they had a live band at the main pool most days, and it made the day. On some of our Princess cruises, they had a DJ at the main pool and when everyone started getting into the music, he finished. I would like to see more fun sea day at one of the pools, I am on vacation!!!!! But everyone to there own taste. I am a fan of heavy metal and do not expect them to play this on the ship, but I do like other kinds of live music, as long as it is good. The last few Princess cruises, the band where really bad.

I'm with Elkhorn20. I love live music, but if Princess needs to go with a DJ by the pool, that's fine. No heavy metal, but some good rock and country from the 70's thru the 90's. We're in our low to mid 50's. To old for carnival, but Princess seems to be catering to the 65 and plus years. Otherwise, we love Princess.

No not at all Jim, just a friendly suggestion your comment is a perfect example of how threads get high jacked and off topic, Jim many cruisers feel that the upper deck pool has a boring environment that is the topic at hand.

John

Punctuation is your friend.

"Many cruisers" in this instance is not "most cruisers," judging from the responses to the OP's opinion that the pool experience is boring. It appears that more people on this thread have said they like a quieter environment, more people, it appears, than those who want loud music and pool games. It is entirely possible that Princess knows this and designs the pool experience to appeal to that majority.

We just returned from a Mexican Rivera cruise on the Ruby 2 weeks ago and had a great time.

The poolside atmosphere was really boring though - much more so than what I recalled during our past warm weather cruises on Princess

During the 3 sea days, a live band only played one hour a day poolside, with the DJ also only playing for an hour. Other than that, only canned, easy-listening music was being played.

Looking at a Norwegian patter, the same itinerary had either a live band or DJ playing poolside from 11AM until 4PM. And I remember Carnival having both scheduled most of the day as well

There was also only one pool game (a relay race) offered during the entire cruise along with a putting contest.

I remember on our Princess Caribbean cruises in years past they held much more fun and slightly edgier games involving passing balloons hands free, etc

Is this the norm now? While we're not looking for a frat party, more energy and atmosphere would have been appreciated on this warm weather trip.

Otherwise there's certainly no need to book the Sanctuary, as the Neptune poll was certainly quiet enough !

shredie, yes no one can question the fact that Princess caterers to its aging base

in many aspects of its product more so on its longer sailings, no reason at all why things can't be more lively and entertaining for the younger passengers that book the shorter seven and ten day sailings.

For those of us who have sailed out of Galveston know first hand that those folks from Texas know how party poolside and music is a big part of it.

I feel the Cruise Director could do more if he or she was aware of how many of us feel about Princess boring poolside cruise atmosphere.

Again just my thoughts

John

But by that logic, a ship would need 3,000 pools in order to satisfy everyone since "everyone has different opinions on what they want at the pool." Even if one assumes that one of the pools should have live music, what should that music be? Reggae? Rock? Soul? MoTown? Swing? Chamber Music? Rap? Hip Hop? Opera?

I didn't mean there were 3,000 different opinions Jimmy...just varying interests in pool activity. Quiet vs. Music. They already play a nice mix of music at the fun pool (reaching quite a few styles and eras). We are just pointing out that they should have that music play longer than an hour of the band and an hour of the DJ.

Since the invention of earbuds, doesn't it make more sense for people who love music to use them at the pool? There is no way that a cruise ship can pump in music that is pleasing to all 500 people sitting around a pool, either in musical style or volume. But if people bring their own music and their own earbuds, isn't everyone better off? To an observer, it might look like a "boring, quiet pool." But at the micro level, each passenger is enjoying exactly the style and volume of music that is to their liking. ...Or none at all.

Yes, we use our earbuds, but it's more fun to hear it over the whole deck area. You wouldn't bring your buds to a bar would you? I think of these pools like the ship bars. There should be a pool with music for most of the day. A variety of music would work for the masses...none of us expect heavy metal, rap or opera. Chamber music? Seriously?

Yes, we use our earbuds, but it's more fun to hear it over the whole deck area. You wouldn't bring your buds to a bar would you? I think of these pools like the ship bars. There should be a pool with music for most of the day. A variety of music would work for the masses...none of us expect heavy metal, rap or opera. Chamber music? Seriously?

NO, NO, NO. The pool like a ship bar? I guess that's an accurate description of Carnival Cruises. Look, a little music here and there is great. Rock, country (I'll jump off the ship if anyone plays no-talent rap music). But constantly? No. Movies/concerts play on the big screen and sometime a little silence is ok. And don't think for a minute you know what works well for the "masses."

NO, NO, NO. The pool like a ship bar? I guess that's an accurate description of Carnival Cruises.

Which brings us back around... Carnival has music and pool games and a "lively" atmosphere all the time. If what people want is a not-boring pool experience, that would be it. Princess has a more subdued pool atmosphere. If that's not what people want, they should look elsewhere. I don't see the point in complaining that Princess should do what Carnival does. If you don't like the "boring" pool and the "old" people, go somewhere else. If you don't like Carnival's atmosphere, perhaps you should just admit that you, too, are becoming an old person and just accept that you really do like the boring old book readers around the pool at Princess. ;)

NO, NO, NO. The pool like a ship bar? I guess that's an accurate description of Carnival Cruises. Look, a little music here and there is great. Rock, country (I'll jump off the ship if anyone plays no-talent rap music). But constantly? No. Movies/concerts play on the big screen and sometime a little silence is ok. And don't think for a minute you know what works well for the "masses."

Which brings us back around... Carnival has music and pool games and a "lively" atmosphere all the time. If what people want is a not-boring pool experience, that would be it. Princess has a more subdued pool atmosphere. If that's not what people want, they should look elsewhere. I don't see the point in complaining that Princess should do what Carnival does. If you don't like the "boring" pool and the "old" people, go somewhere else. If you don't like Carnival's atmosphere, perhaps you should just admit that you, too, are becoming an old person and just accept that you really do like the boring old book readers around the pool at Princess. ;)

On the ships with a pool that's under a retractable roof, the uncovered pool has the MUTS screen. And that is active from about 9am to after the last movie is over close to 11pm or midnight. So to have a band play, means to turn off the movie, and that happens for a sailaway (at least on the Hawaiian cruises with ELUA playing) and for the Ultimate Deck Party (the movie screen is used to show the action on the deck). If the other main pool is still covered, then usually people are there to swim and not to listen to music. Usually people are there to sunbathe if the cover is retracted. I think music is piped in.

I haven't been on a Princess ship without the covered pool so maybe it's a different situation to have a band play at the second pool. But as far as pool games, they would have to be the ones involving building a raft (to float beer across) or other similar ones that aren't on the more "risque" side (or involving body parts).

Most of us that are requesting a more lively pool atmosphere are only talking about one pool (Neptune) out of 3 or 4 onboard.

Certainly the Lotus (Spa) Pool and the aft pool should be enough area (Along with the optional Sanctuary) to please those that prefer a quiet poolside.

Does every pool on Princess need to be boring?

Isn't Holland America the line of Carnival Corp that's generally known to be the most conservation and quiet?

Princess in the past seemed to be the perfect middle between Carnival on the party side and Holland America on the quiet side.

It seems the Holland America crowd has now taken over Princess from the responses I've read on this post.

Now we're stuck between Carnival with a crowd that wears baseball hats and basketball jerseys to the dining room, or Princess that puts us to sleep with their lack of an active pool atmosphere on sea days.

Edited by Scotto97