Trying to decide which jacket to take

rslinky

Going on land cruise tour mid May. I have water proof jacket, fleece lined big enough to layer under it. Or I have a heavy fleece jacket I could take instead, again with room to layer, and take a very light weight water resistant jacket I can throw in a backpack when not needed. I lean towards the two vs one but haven't been on an Alaskan cruise before. Any ideas from you have packed for this cruise before?

Depends on what you are doing. I packed a lightweight jacket planning to layer. We booked the helicopter to the top of the glacier thing and I was glad I bought a heavier jacket in Ketchikan. I wouldn't bring a ski jacket type jacket but one that is warm that you can layer under is a good choice if you want to do things like the glacier/dog sled, etc.

Depends on what you are doing. I packed a lightweight jacket planning to layer. We booked the helicopter to the top of the glacier thing and I was glad I bought a heavier jacket in Ketchikan. I wouldn't bring a ski jacket type jacket but one that is warm that you can layer under is a good choice if you want to do things like the glacier/dog sled, etc.

I think you're covered. :)

Just in case: gloves, scarf, toque, sunglasses, felt insoles. Shorts and t-shirts, too.

We've been on Alaska cruises about 15 times and know that the weather is entirely unpredictable.

Fleece is good as long as you have something water-resistant or waterproof, as well, for over top (the jacket for your backpack!). It is never really freezing off the ship even in May, unless you are heading for a glacier shorex, in which case your feet will freeze if your shoes don't have a really good sole and insole.

Enjoy the cruise!

Edited by SilvertoGold

Planning on the hat and gloves and scarf. I just haven't settled on which way to go with the coat. Doubt I will have room for both options as we will be gone 17 days and I onlt want to bring one suitcase apiece.

... having been to Alaska twice (including an inland foray each time) in early- to mid-September, I think your second option should do the trick nicely ... and don't forget your hat, gloves and scarf. Smooth sailing,

Rod

Sunglasses can be important. Glacial glare on a sunny day requires them and glare of the ocean while you are at sea. Sunglasses are not just for beach days. Always wore them skiing. UV is important.

I am planning a cruise in 2016 to Alaska. While I realise that it's not possible to forecast what the weather will be like, but based on experience of people who have cruised Alaska which is the best month to book a cruise.

My hobby is photography so I hope to get some good scenic shots etc. Being cold is not an issue, but rain is. Which month in Alaska is it less likely to rain ?

I am planning a cruise in 2016 to Alaska. While I realise that it's not possible to forecast what the weather will be like, but based on experience of people who have cruised Alaska which is the best month to book a cruise.

My hobby is photography so I hope to get some good scenic shots etc. Being cold is not an issue, but rain is. Which month in Alaska is it less likely to rain ?

This is a really, really hard question!

In about 15 cruises to Alaska we have seen every last type of weather, each month. Some would say July or August are best, and they might be right, or not!

The thing is, it seldom rains the whole day. It can be on-and-off, or rain in the morning for a couple of hours, then a beautiful clear afternoon.

There if also fog, which is as bad as the rain for photography.

Hope you have a great rainless cruise!

Edited by SilvertoGold

Thanks for the reply. I guess I will start looking at cruises in July. I live in the UK and we can have rain any time of the year:D

I have done 18 cruises, but only in Europe, the med, Norway, Russia etc.

Thanks for the reply. I guess I will start looking at cruises in July. I live in the UK and we can have rain any time of the year:D

I have done 18 cruises, but only in Europe, the med, Norway, Russia etc.

You're experienced, so you know about cruises and weather!

My DH says July, so there you go. Just keep some perspective and think in terms of taking photos whenever the weather is good. That way you'll have lots regardless.

One thing you can do this year is take a look at the webcams for the ports on and off during the Alaska season. That will give you an idea of how the weather is this year. There are good webcams for Juneau, Ketchikan and Skagway.

When I have a cruise booked, I take a look every day. It takes all of 5 minutes to view the three I have mentioed.

Going on land cruise tour mid May. I have water proof jacket, fleece lined big enough to layer under it. Or I have a heavy fleece jacket I could take instead, again with room to layer, and take a very light weight water resistant jacket I can throw in a backpack when not needed. I lean towards the two vs one but haven't been on an Alaskan cruise before. Any ideas from you have packed for this cruise before?

I am a strong advocate for a rain PROOF and HOODED jacket. Then layer as necessary under that.

Used to live in the frigid Northland before our permanent migration south. Keep your options open for layers and layers and layers as you can always take off something if too warm. Remember that synthetics are not as warm as natural fabrics. Natural fabrics work well to wick sweat away from the body. Still have my faithful silk undershirt but know a men's all cotton one works just as well. I also pay special attention to my footwear as at least for me, cold feet is a killer and layering socks may be a good idea. As it can rain, mist, etc, having a hood on a water proof jacket is a great idea as mentioned before.

Have a wonderful time and enjoy the majestic scenery!