10 Most Dangerous Cruise Desinations

Captiveguru

Another article based on information from Maritime Lawyer, Mr. Walker.

Yes. Are his sources good? Does he refer to reputable sources? Personally, I have mixed feelings about his website*, but I think it is interesting reading, and he tends to make public issues that cause the Cruise Line Industry discomfort (to say the least). At any rate, it is just another source of information available to those of us who enjoy ocean voyages. Take it or leave it: http://www.cruiselawnews.com/

* By contrast, Cruise Critic News at the current time has no report of the tragic accident on QE, resulting in the death of a passenger. Walker's website does mention it (albeit lacking any further information that was elsewhere, plus his report was given to speculation, and in my opinion, lacking in empathy. )

Edited by Salacia

So the answer to this is what - stay at home cowering in one's bed only to be killed by a tree falling through the roof?

I will continue to cruise, exercise reasonable caution ashore, and hope for the best.

True story:

One November day, a decade ago, I was combing my dog on the deck off my kitchen. The clouds suddenly got dark, and the wind picked up. My dog gave me a look of concern. I said "ok, Pal, let's go inside". Two seconds after we got inside the house, the 100 year old tree that shaded our deck (and most of our backyard) fell, crashing the deck where we had been standing moments earlier.

I'm sure we all have similar stories.

So foodsvcmgr I agree with you: yes, reasonable caution should be exercised, as well as being aware of our environment. Life is to be lived.

All are in the Caribbean or Central America.
I would guess the port in Tunisia where the cruise ship passengers were gunned down would blow past the Caribbean/Central American ports on the top of this list if the article were brought up to date.

However, I think the whole concept of this type of article is bad. Unfortunate events can happen anywhere. I think the cruise lines do a good job of steering clear of truly dangerous ports. No need to let your world "shrink" any more than it has to.

Edited by DWhit

We have been to all these places except Honduras and San Salvador. Our son lived in Nassau for nearly 3 years and we spent several holidays there, where we found the local people extremely friendly and polite.

We do always take sensible precautions and stick to well lit, well populated areas.

Tourists are seen as easy targets in many places. They are usually rich (as per local standard), carry cash ( pick pocket thieves rejoice), may not speak the local language if they need help, don't know the lay of the land or no go areas. Some are quite naïve or too pre occupy with sight seeing instead of excising normal situation awareness. These can all add up to potential troubles.

Tourists are seen as easy targets in many places. They are usually rich (as per local standard), carry cash ( pick pocket thieves rejoice), may not speak the local language if they need help, don't know the lay of the land or no go areas. Some are quite naïve or too pre occupy with sight seeing instead of excising normal situation awareness. These can all add up to potential troubles.

sfaaa, that is so true. While I was on board QM2 a few years ago, there was a port change. I knew nothing about the new port. We had arranged no tours, so we just decided to walk from the port into the town. Dominica. Not a good choice for a self-walking tour, we soon realized.

As we walked (high tailed it back to the ship) there was a local group of musicians playing outside the terminal. I dropped all the coins in my pocket in their collection basket. "No coins, we want dollars" said the man who followed us on our approach to the ship.

Just to add that when I posted from on board about the change in port stops members responded immediately which was much appreciated. But maybe we tend to gloss over concerns for fear of creating alarm, controversy or being impolite?

I would guess the port in Tunisia where the cruise ship passengers were gunned down would blow past the Caribbean/Central American ports on the top of this list if the article were brought up to date.

However, I think the whole concept of this type of article is bad. Unfortunate events can happen anywhere. I think the cruise lines do a good job of steering clear of truly dangerous ports. No need to let your world "shrink" any more than it has to.

Agreed that the concept is bad. Regarding Tunisia, the article is dated 10/17/14 so today Tunisia would probably make the list. I also noticed that clicking on "9" brought up a repeat of "2".

Roy