Alaska - Should Formal Night be Long Sleeve?

hello - i know alaska is a more casual cruise. that being said on the dress up nights - would it be a good idea to wear long sleeves? hard to find dressy dress with long sleeves. lots are strappy. is it warm enough in the interiors to handle that if i bring a shawl etc

Yes, you can wear a sleeveless option. I'm usually cold inside cruise ships, no matter the location, so I always have a wrap of some sort. In Alaska, I had one sleeveless top I wore with a wrap and another shell/evening jacket combo I wore.

hello - i know alaska is a more casual cruise. that being said on the dress up nights - would it be a good idea to wear long sleeves? hard to find dressy dress with long sleeves. lots are strappy. is it warm enough in the interiors to handle that if i bring a shawl etc

Alaska is not necessarily a more casual cruise - I know people say this but I didn't find it to be true at all. A cruise is as casual or as formal as you want to make it. Wear your short sleeved/spaghetti strap formal dress with pride and know you will not stand out in a bad way. You'll be gorgeous. :)

Alaska is not necessarily a more casual cruise - I know people say this but I didn't find it to be true at all.

I agree with this, though our most recent AK cruise was a few years back. I feel that some of the cruises we have done since then (like the Black Sea in 2011) were somewhat more casual. Same ship (Pacific Princess). I think many cruises (rather, cruisers?) are more casual today than they were even 5 years ago. In Alaska, my husband brought his tuxedo.

Edited by Hoyaheel

I think many cruises (rather, cruisers?) are more casual today than they were even 5 years ago...

Yes, I agree with you here. In general, cruises tend to be more casual as more and more people do not bring their formal wear due to added weight in their luggage, and baggage fees. But... some people do dress up and I always see tuxes and gowns on every cruise, just not the majority of course. :)

We sailed to Alaska in early September last year and it was cold. I had sleeveless dresses, but wore them with a sweater. I also had long sleeved dressy tops and I was comfortable.

Although the ship IS heated and cooled, doors opening, breezes can keep you chilly.