What side of the ship

I was just on Navigator on this itinerary last week. We were on the port side and we were facing the port in Galveston, and Roatan. In Belize we tender and the port side was used. In Cozumel my balcony had a view of Allure while docked.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I was just on Navigator on this itinerary last week. We were on the port side and we were facing the port in Galveston, and Roatan. In Belize we tender and the port side was used. In Cozumel my balcony had a view of Allure while docked.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

And the following week, it could have been just the opposite. There really is now way to determine which side will be better. Sometimes the ships pull into port, sometimes they back in. Sometimes the pier is perpendicular to shore, sometimes it's parallel. Size of the ship, the order in which the ships arrive, wind direction and even the Captain's personal preference all have a factor in how a ship docks.

And the following week, it could have been just the opposite. There really is now way to determine which side will be better. Sometimes the ships pull into port, sometimes they back in. Sometimes the pier is perpendicular to shore, sometimes it's parallel. Size of the ship, the order in which the ships arrive, wind direction and even the Captain's personal preference all have a factor in how a ship docks.

I was going to go back and add that, but my time to edit had expired. In Cozumel you only have a 1 in 4 chance of an ocean view. It depends on which ship gets in first. We've backed in there 90% of the time. At least when you tender you know you'll have a nice view. I think maybe we didn't have the port view in Galveston. Almost always backs in there but harbor is narrow and the "view" was industrial and not ocean. Either way it's great to be on a ship.

There is no way of knowing which way the ship will dock. It's a 50/50 chance of port or starboard being pierside. Many things factor into which way the ship will dock such as weather, water currents, other ships in port, if the ship needs to do a crew lifeboat drill, harbor pilot's discretion, and order of arrival and departure in the port.

We have cruised from Galveston several times on both Carnival and RC ships. We had Starboard staterooms (the right hand side of the ship as you face forward to the Bridge) and were able to see the city of Galveston as we pulled away from the dock during sail away. I booked another Starboard room for our upcoming cruise this month.

If you watch the Galveston cruise cam, you can see the ships as they leave. Here is the link

http://www.galveston.com/cruisevideocam/

At the other ports, it could be either side except for Belize where the guests tender to shore.

Edited by JimAOk1945