Questions for First Wave of Cruisers

roothy123

In another week, it will be show time for Viking. I, like many of you, are anxious to get reports of the ship, ports, etc. - and hopefully a picture or two of the interior. Just in case one of you early cruisers has time to check in, I have a list of my most burning questions for your consideration! I don't cruise until fall, but since I'm a research nut, any info I can gather right now will make me happy!

I've listed my questions; everyone, feel free to add others (e.g., bars, pool, spa, library if any, waffles, tea). Also, if I have a question that is answered by a FAQ on Viking's site, just let me know and I'll go look at it.

Itinerary & back on board times:

-Were times on itinerary generally when ship got to port, or when they were tied up, cleared by authorities, and ready to let people off? (In other words, if itinerary says 7, will we likely be able to get off the ship by 7:30?)

-When were you required to be back on board – half hour before sailaway? For tender ports, was last tender half hour pre-departure or earlier?

-How did Viking do tender process – if going ashore as independent (not on ship's excursion), were you able to go on 1st or second tender if you wanted?

-In Santorini, did the tender boats (operated by Santorini boat operator; no cruise tenders allowed) accommodate people going to the island on their own at a reasonable time or were first runs only to take people on ship tours to Athinios port to meet their buses?

Tours/excursions/ports/shuttles:

-Did anyone go on a tour and stay in port rather than come back on bus (e.g., Athens?)

-Did any of the optional excursions sell out or disappear a day or so before you reached the applicable port?

-In a few ports on a few lines, people have reported being given a landing card to carry while ashore. Did you experience this? Also, if you stayed over in Istanbul (hotel), did anyone ask to see your Turkish visa?

-Are maps available for ports like they are on Viking Rivers, is there a tourist rep with maps near the dock in any ports?

-Were shuttles from the port to city center or elsewhere offered in any port (free or otherwise)?

Food:

-What kinds of food were on World Café (buffet) and did it change from day to day? Do they put the food on your plate, or do you just take what you want? Was it too cold to eat outside?

-What eating time for "The Restaurant" seemed to be the most crowded, and how long did you have to wait?

-What kinds of food were on the room service menu?

-How was the food, all venues?

Service/activities/entertainment:

-What and how was it (all areas/venues of ship)? Were any cooking classes offered, and if so, what was the cost?

Other miscellaneous little things I'm curious about:

-How was the WiFi reception while docked in ports, particularly in Venice, Croatia, Greece, Turkey?

-When was the muster drill?

-Is there a webcam that shows a view from the bow of the ship? Does it show where ship is, or GPS coordinates?

-What’s the best place to take pictures of things from the ship: the 360 degree deck? Pool area? There is no ship's photographer on board, right?

That's all, for now anyway (ha ha!)

All very good questions! We'll try to answer them once aboard.

There is one Roothy that I can give some info on. There are some shore excursions that already say "sold out" on MyVikingJourney's shore excursion listsone for the maiden voyage. There's one for the World's Best Restaurant in (I think) Copenhagen that's sold out ($399 per person) and both the St Petersburg "Canal ride, St Isaacs, and Church on Spilled Blood" are sold out (both Tuesday and Wednesday). It appears that the sold out excursions don't disappear, they just say "sold out". Hope that helps.

All very helpful - I'd be particularly interested in the question re "port times on itinerary" for St. Petersburg.

Also, will all passengers be allowed to board early but just not be able to get into their cabin until their scheduled time? Trying to decide on when to show up at ship and whether I would have time for one more sight in Stockholm that morning.

As we will have a stateroom on weather deck my question is where in reality do the smokers congregate as I believe they will have a designated area to starboard on that deck, hopefully aft.

We're on the weather deck also. We've been told the designated area is starboard side, aft. I can't think where else they'd but it, really, as forward is all cabins and amidships overlooks the pool...

All very helpful - I'd be particularly interested in the question re "port times on itinerary" for St. Petersburg.

Also, will all passengers be allowed to board early but just not be able to get into their cabin until their scheduled time? Trying to decide on when to show up at ship and whether I would have time for one more sight in Stockholm that morning.

It's my understanding that everyone (at least for our cruise) can board at or after 11, but that the rooms wouldn't be ready for entry until the time specified in My Viking Journey (for us in a DV, 2pm). Personally, I would be visiting that last thing in Stockholm and getting on board a little later! Just make sure you board an hour or two before departure (forget which it is for Viking), at least if the ship takes off that same day!

Edited by roothy123

It's all such a mystery but exciting at the same time!!!

Looking forward to someones lengthy review from these maideners! A truly brave bunch just like the eldest child in a family that all the younger siblings can watch and learn what to expect and what not to do:p

We are sailing January 2016 so just 9 months to go and 9 months to work out those bugs:o

Does anyone know what deck the outdoor track is on?

9th deck - right above our heads, along with the gym I think. Sure hope they put some limitations on opening and closing hours! I'm imagining thud, thud, thud at 4:00 am pounding on our ceiling. If so, I think Bear_Music and I will be down at the front desk the next morning. Are you with me Bear_Music?

By the time of your cruise, trust me, there will have been so many complaints by this maiden cruiser they will have set some limits on times. I'm thinking no later than 9:00 pm at night, and no earlier than 7:00 in the morning. Don't forget the gym with barbells hitting the floor!

I assumed that people running (although I don't expect all that many on Viking) would use the 360 degree promenade that's way down a ways (maybe on 2?) As a photographer, I'm happy for the 360 promenade, as you never know what you can (sometimes) spot out to sea. Hope I don't get trampled by the joggers!

If it helps any, I've read a lot of posts on various boards, various lines, and nobody has ever complained about people running above them or using the fitness center. Occasionally, however, you'll hear about scraping of chairs in the dining venues above them. Also, I've heard people who have been mildly annoyed by people going in and out of passenger laundry rooms if they're across from them, although the hours are usually limited to avoid disturbing anyone but the lightest, earliest/latest sleepers. On one line, I was mildly annoyed by the fact that our room was next to the area where the room attendants got ice, glasses, etc. - they would enter with a big tray and let the door slam shut behind them. After a while, though, I got very used to it and could care less.

So there appears to be a lot of nothingness on deck 8 aft - what do you suppose is there? Smokestack and big open area for strolling or placing deck chairs if it's nice? Crew quarters in addition to what's on E level? (Anybody know what "E" stands for on the deck plans? Engine deck?) I've having a little troubling conceptualizing some things.

Edited by roothy123

There is no "running track" as such. Deck 2 has the 360-degree promenade; 4 laps is a mile. That's the same deck as the main restaurant. Deck 9, the "sports deck", is way too small for running. The two aft "peninsulas" of Deck 9, I believe, will have shuffleboard, putting green, etc. The larger area across the front, who knows?

Deck 8, the "weather deck", is your best deck for spotting stuff out to sea (or to shoreward) and zooming in on it. Although there won't be a dead-ahead view from the weather deck; that area's the upper part of the Explorer's Lounge. It's unclear whether we can access the Lounge from Deck 8; I hope not, because if we CAN then our corridors to those few cabins might become a thoroughfare...

9th deck - right above our heads, along with the gym I think. Sure hope they put some limitations on opening and closing hours! I'm imagining thud, thud, thud at 4:00 am pounding on our ceiling. If so, I think Bear_Music and I will be down at the front desk the next morning. Are you with me Bear_Music?

Jejeje... I'm deaf, actually, won't bother ME. Penny might join you though :-)

Hard to know what they mean about deck 9. "Outdoor gym and yoga area" is what it says in the deck plan. The yoga area should make relatively little noise; the outdoor gym I'm not too sure of. In some pictures (artist's renditions) it looks like a track around the perimeter, but who knows what we'll actually find.

Just think, this time next week we will have already finished our first port of Istanbul, and be making our way to Ephesus! :eek:

Elizabeth, I would be interested in knowing how casual the majority of attire is in the MDR.....it states you can wear a wide variety of choice.....

Also, yoga. Is this daily? Is it always outdoors ( which would be amazing in nice weather). And cooking classes.....how often, pricing, sign up?

And nice to know the quarter mile track is on the lower level....it will be a great option particularly on sea days.

Thank you!

Could I please add to Roothy123's list under the category of "Other Miscellaneous Things"?

If someone (probably a lady) could check out the set up in the laundries: e.g.

. is laundry powder supplied or do we need to bring our own?

. are the machines fee free or is there a coin/token in the slot system?

. are irons/ ironing boards supplied; is there a hiring fee?

. are irons/boards available in each cabin or only in the laundries?

. will it be necessary to book laundry time?

. will the laundries be accessible 24/7?

. how noisy is the laundry equipment (will it disturb cabins nearby)?

As a 2016 50 day crazy, this is essential info as I'm sure I'll need to hit the laundry a few times in that period. Smalls I can cope with in my cabin as I always take a stretchy pegless clothesline with me, but for jeans etc. I'll certainly need a washing machine/dryer.

Many thanks in anticipation.

I know the laundry detergent on Azamara is provided as it is a special biodegradable brand that they have to use at sea. I am sure it will be the same on Viking.

Agree with this - is same on Oceania. What they did: No irons allowed in rooms (fire hazard). Ironing boards and irons were in laundry rooms. I brought hangers and laundry bag from room. Irons got busy day of embarkation; little problem rest of time, but if wanted to be assured of no wait, best time to go was dinner time or early evening! Machines required tokens but maybe Viking has found some without the need for those. Hours of laundry rooms were limited to eliminate door to rooms bothering people in stateroom across from laundry room.

Avonglen,

The laundries are free and detergent is supplied. How many machines will be available is unknown. Irons and ironing board are also in the launderette. Irons are not available in the cabins and may not be used in the cabins. Hours of service is also unknown.

Will report back, as I will hope to make use of the facility myself. :)

Becki