Handicapped Boarding at FLL

silverbird

My husband has a handicap in that he can only walk short distances due to a brain injury. Is there wheelchair service while waiting in line to board? We are Elite and would use the Preferred Line. I would appreciate any and all information available.

Thank you. SilverBird

My husband has a handicap in that he can only walk short distances due to a brain injury. Is there wheelchair service while waiting in line to board? We are Elite and would use the Preferred Line. I would appreciate any and all information available.

Thank you. SilverBird

Yes, once at the entrance to the terminal let the Princess reps know what you need.

On our Jan. 2015 Ruby cruise we were traveling with a friend of ours who is 96 years young. He can get along fine except for long walks. There was a Princess rep outside the building and I ask for a chair for him. They got it and brought him into the building. We all checked in and then they wheeled him to a waiting room (with us )to wait for boarding. Then another crew member took him onto the ship and to his cabin. It was very easy. We did tip both crew members for pushing him around. They were so nice.

PS

Once he got in the chair outside the building, he did not get out of the chair until his cabin.

Edited by geocruiser

Yet I've had just the opposite at FLL. One time I was told that I had to wait in line, to get in the terminal, along with everyone else, even tho the guy saw that I was using a walker. Another time there were a group of handicapped folks going in, and I was in line with my walker, and one of them said, "you might as well come with us". That was very nice of the guy; this was a pax, not a Princess rep.

Edited by Treven

Princess has signs that warns people needing handicap assistance that is available but, depending on demand for the service, there may be a delay until someone is available to assist. Besides the signs on board ship, this information is also printed in the Princess Patters under the daily port information for dembarcation.

I noticed this sign was also posted up in the priority lounge area at Fort Lauderdale for boarding.

I don't know if you will have a delay on boarding, but it is a possibility.

We just got back from our trip on the Coral out of FLL and I needed wheelchair assistance for the first time to get onboard. I was confused with all of the craziness and just hobbled on to the Elite lounge where they took great care of me...asking if I needed a chair, getting it for me, and having an adorable crew member transport me effortlessly (I kept reaching out to hold on to the handrails to help him get me up the ramps, lol) to my cabin. It was a great experience and the debarkation was equally as easy through the Elite lounge. They really took great care of me!

Yet I've had just the opposite at FLL. One time I was told that I had to wait in line, to get in the terminal, along with everyone else, even tho the guy saw that I was using a walker. Another time there were a group of handicapped folks going in, and I was in line with my walker, and one of them said, "you might as well come with us". That was very nice of the guy; this was a pax, not a Princess rep.

I cruised with my elderly Mom last year who uses a walker. There were no wheel chairs outside. She had to stand in line and go through the scanners on foot. They took her walker going through the scanner and made her walk. Then we were shuffled from location to location and person to person to try to find a wheel chair. I finally saw an attendant with a wheel chair and begged him to please return to assist us. Mom is a Princess Elite and we were sailing in a suite. Really not the level of service we expected. On the plus side.... Debarkation was a breeze!

We arrived early for the regal....just a few people lined up outside....there are benches available to sit....we just asked one of the guys to please get us a wheelchsir....we did need to wait after the line started moving but once I was in it we were waiting to board in less than 10 min and then only waited about 10 min...we were number 4....I don't really care how long it takes but our traveling companions were thrilled to be getting on so early....able to choose what time we got off the ship....waited in the atrium where a passing wheeler asked us if we were ready....very simple and friendly on both ends...

We arrived early for the regal....just a few people lined up outside....there are benches available to sit....we just asked one of the guys to please get us a wheelchsir....we did need to wait after the line started moving but once I was in it we were waiting to board in less than 10 min and then only waited about 10 min...we were number 4....I don't really care how long it takes but our traveling companions were thrilled to be getting on so early....able to choose what time we got off the ship....waited in the atrium where a passing wheeler asked us if we were ready....very simple and friendly on both ends...

Thanks for the good info.

When we traveled on the Regal in February, my mom had no problem getting a wheelchair. The issue was finding a "pusher", as there were so many needing assistance, and they won't let the family do it. So even though she had priority boarding with that, it took them longer to get on board than it did us.

That said, the guy who pushed her chair was wonderful.

When we traveled on the Regal in February, my mom had no problem getting a wheelchair. The issue was finding a "pusher", as there were so many needing assistance, and they won't let the family do it. So even though she had priority boarding with that, it took them longer to get on board than it did us.

That said, the guy who pushed her chair was wonderful.

They do a good job for sure. :)