Neptune Lounge Question

If you're flying Southwest, and doing Luggage Direct, the problem is that the Front Desk does the check-in on their time-table. That is not necessarily within a few seconds of the 24-hour window. Consequently, unless you have paid that extra charge, or qualify for the blue sleeve, you can get a low letter/number combination.

I once got a C-xx (don't recall the number) when I had Luggage Direct on Southwest.

Especially if you are flying Southwest, you are much better off (unless you paid the extra fee, or use the blue sleeve), checking in yourself as close to the 24-hour time as possible. There's no need to print the boarding pass; that can be obtained at the airport.

@mountainmere, I would welcome this as an amenity for suite guests. As Canadians, we cannot participate in Luggage Direct. Air Canada is notorious for changing flights, planes and seating arrangements at the last moment.

Like you, we also never need the services of the Neptune Concierge. We are more than able to take care of our own needs, but we would use this perk.

If a printer isn't available, we normally check in 24 hours prior, secure our seats and then print off our boarding passes at the airport the next day. That way we get the seats that we want. This has worked on many occasions.

Laurie

It appears that the airline boarding pass service is coming, at least on the Koningsdam. This is one of the changes to Neptune Suite amenities for that ship:

• Complimentary airline boarding pass printout

http://www.hollandamerica.com/find-cruise-vacation/StateroomImage.action?stateroomShipCode=KO

In my original posting I should have said the actual boarding pass isn't what I would like, but the on-line check-in aspect so we could confirm our seats that were selected many months ago. Pardon my innocence, I just asked if this was currently available. I didn't assume that we would get this benefit just because another Carnival-owned line provides this in their concierge lounge. I did not expect HAL to "eat the expense" as was mentioned by CruiserBruce.

I've never had a need to print anything on HAL, but I am very surprised that this an issue with regard to printing boarding passes for flights home. Way back in 2009, I cruised on RCI and it was a simple procedure to print a boarding pass on the ship, at a very minimal price for the page, with printers available in the computer area. So what is the usual procedure on HAL?

Edited by Lizzie68

It appears that the airline boarding pass service is coming, at least on the Koningsdam. This is one of the changes to Neptune Suite amenities for that ship:

• Complimentary airline boarding pass printout

http://www.hollandamerica.com/find-cruise-vacation/StateroomImage.action?stateroomShipCode=KO

In my original posting I should have said the actual boarding pass isn't what I would like, but the on-line check-in aspect so we could confirm our seats that were selected many months ago. Pardon my innocence, I just asked if this was currently available. I didn't assume that we would get this benefit just because another Carnival-owned line provides this in their concierge lounge. I did not expect HAL to "eat the expense" as was mentioned by CruiserBruce.

Another new item for Neptune suites:

"Complimentary dinner in a specialty restaurant"

I've never had a need to print anything on HAL, but I am very surprised that this an issue with regard to printing boarding passes for flights home. Way back in 2009, I cruised on RCI and it was a simple procedure to print a boarding pass on the ship, at a very minimal price for the page, with printers available in the computer area. So what is the usual procedure on HAL?

On the cruises I have been on, HAL offers a special package (15 or 30 minutes) for the purposes of doing just that.

When I was flying out the same day, I simply went to the computer room, checked in and printed my boarding pass. It was very easy.

I did want to print so I used the computer room.

Yes, but if I"m flying Southwest I would not want to wait or I'll be riding on the tail of the plane. :D

You can check in online, getting your group number, then get your boarding pass at the airport. This will save your trying to find ship printer, and save a few Internet minutes.

You can check in online, getting your group number, then get your boarding pass at the airport. This will save your trying to find ship printer, and save a few Internet minutes.

That's what we do. Just need to check in to get the A/B group. Don't worry about the boarding pass....get that when we check our bags.

On the cruises I have been on, HAL offers a special package (15 or 30 minutes) for the purposes of doing just that.

When I was flying out the same day, I simply went to the computer room, checked in and printed my boarding pass. It was very easy.

I did want to print so I used the computer room.

Thank you for responding. By "Computer Room" do you mean where they give the Windows lessons?

It has been a while but when DH received certain e-mails from his office while on a cruise, we would go to Explorations Café, use the computer there rather than our own device to access what he wanted printed and he would be able to print it using ship's printer. At that time, I think it cost 40 cents per page in addition to whatever minutes we used of our internet package.

Edited by sail7seas

By "Computer Room" do you mean where they give the Windows lessons?

I expect not.

There are public computer stations in the Explorations Café, which is a combination computer room, coffee house, and library.

The classes are usually held in a closed room, sometimes in a different area entirely, depending on the ship.

We always sign up for a plan called...Luggage Direct....and when you supply the ship with all of your departure information, destination, flight numbers etc they will process all of it and the last day of the cruise you will receive baggage tags, boarding passes and whatever it is that we need to get to our final destination. Once you set your bags out in the hallway the night before you disembark, you don't see them again until you arrive at your home destination. Yes, there is a small fee for this service but it's worth much more than they charge ... We have never had anything "go wrong" with this service....

This forum has been a wealth of information and I appreciate the responses when I had one question. I can't find the answer to this question: Will the concierge in the Neptune Lounge print our airline boarding passes for us? (We don't normally have a same-day connection, but as we are staying in Vancouver a while before the cruise we are booked to fly home on the day of arrival so we would like our BPs the afternoon before.) I have no need at all for Internet access and all of my friends who are HAL-regulars say it is rubbish. My experience with Internet on my usual cruise line is the same. Thanks for any responses.

Considering what you pay for a Neptune Suite, they should provide this service for free. I guess they don't.