Back on the Royal

dchip

We are in St Thomas, so I thought I would post some thoughts on our first 7 days of our 20 day cruise.

Embarkation was a breeze. Arrived about 11:15, filled out all necessary info and we were on the ship minutes later!

Seeing the Piazza was as exciting as the first time! We love this ship. She certainly doesn't disappoint the second time around.

Food in both the MDR and Horizon Court has been good. We are really enjoying the Caribbean items. Pizza at the pool delicious and Alfredos fabulous! Still haven't had a Crab lime margarita this cruise. Maybe today. :D

I participated in the Drum Circle which performed on Mardi Gras night. It was great fun and a big departure for me to get involved!

Love Crooners. The seating, the space and this time around they are keeping all the shades open so you can view the sea.

We are enjoying our forward balcony but I don't think it is for everyone. There has been quite a bit of movement at night. It is also a walk to most everywhere.

Our bed does NOT have a pillow top. That was something that made me a bit unhappy. I do have some egg crates on it now. Also, the pillows are big. Not my liking but that's very personal.

Weather has been great, ports friendly and fun. Snorkeling Klein Bonaire was terrific.

Haven't been to either pool or MUTS. Did enjoy Colors of the World show.

That about sums it up. Happy Sunday, Easter and Passover from St. Thomas.

Cheers, Denise

Thanks for the report. I was in L108 last year on a TA and the movement up there was pronounced. It only was bad on the crossing. Once we arrived in Europe and did Scandinavia/Baltics, the movement was negligible. Have a great trip!

Thanks for writing! We'll be on the Royal in just a few weeks. Say, any specific information that you can give on chosen Princess or other excursions or how else you spent your time at the ports would be appreciated.

"Our bed does NOT have a pillow top. That was something that made me a bit unhappy. I do have some egg crates on it now. Also, the pillows are big. Not my liking but that's very personal. "

It does not say the mattress is bad, it just says it's not got a topper on it.

"Our bed does NOT have a pillow top. That was something that made me a bit unhappy. I do have some egg crates on it now. Also, the pillows are big. Not my liking but that's very personal. "

It does not say the mattress is bad, it just says it's not got a topper on it.

Well......it is very hard. I was looking forward to the cloud I had last time on the Royal. At least there isn't the hole in the middle. :eek:

Cheers, Denise

Thanks for writing! We'll be on the Royal in just a few weeks. Say, any specific information that you can give on chosen Princess or other excursions or how else you spent your time at the ports would be appreciated.

We did ships excursions in Bonaire, Grenada and Dominica because they were new ports to us.

We snorkeled at Klein Bonaire. It was amazing. You can take a water taxi on your own.

Grenada was a party boat to a beach. If you like strong rum and steel drums it's fabulous.

Dominica we went to a waterfall and Botanical Garden. The guide was great, we saw a lot of the island. Folks were lovely.

That's it until next cruise when we are doing several more ship excursions.

Cheers, Denise.

Ps: the ships Internet has been quite good. Also, you can use the princess@sea to text other passengers as well as view the Patter, room charges and other info. Not the app, that is not working.

Well......it is very hard. I was looking forward to the cloud I had last time on the Royal. At least there isn't the hole in the middle. :eek:

Cheers, Denise

Did you ask your steward for a pillow top pad instead of an egg crate? We've had the pillow top pad to soften a too firm mattress & it was a big improvement over the egg crate pads.

The Royal is less than 2 years old so what happened to those very comfortable pillow top mattresses we've spent 27 days enjoying? :confused:

Edited by Astro Flyer

We did ships excursions in Bonaire, Grenada and Dominica because they were new ports to us.

We snorkeled at Klein Bonaire. It was amazing. You can take a water taxi on your own.

Grenada was a party boat to a beach. If you like strong rum and steel drums it's fabulous.

Dominica we went to a waterfall and Botanical Garden. The guide was great, we saw a lot of the island. Folks were lovely.

That's it until next cruise when we are doing several more ship excursions.

Cheers, Denise.

Ps: the ships Internet has been quite good. Also, you can use the princess@sea to text other passengers as well as view the Patter, room charges and other info. Not the app, that is not working.

I was on your cruise, Denise...the March 29 to April 8 section.

My app wouldn't work......I thought it was me. Went to the Internet Café, and the guy deleted it and then reinstalled it and it worked! Very handy..kept up with stateroom charges, what events were where, etc.

My bed was hard as a rock, which came as a big surprise, as I had heard about the pillow top mattresses. Had a pad put on it, which helped somewhat. I'm not used to pillows being the width of my bed, but since the pillow couldn't adjust, I did.

We did a tour of Bonaire since first time there. Excellent tour, guide very interesting, bus very comfortable.

Also did one on Grenada, a real roller coaster of a ride over and around mountains, all on the left side of the road. Sharp curve? no problem.....just blow your horn and go.

We enjoyed all our meals, Allegro and Horizon. Actually liked my black Truffle pizza from Prego more than Alfredo's. That came as a surprise, too, as I had read so many comments about Alfredos. Good, but Prego's had a better crust, to my mind.

Hope we saw each other on the ship and shared a smile.

Hi Denise, I hope your second 10 days is going well. I'm your neighbor from L108 on the March 29th cruise. I am really surprised you didn't have a pillow topper on your bed if you were doing the queen make up rather than the twins. When I cruised the Regal in January we were in cabins l102 and l103 and had them both times. The toppers don't fit the twin beds just the queens. I have had mine doubled up when using the twin beds for extra comfort though. I like the twin configuration when traveling solo because I can use the bed for other stuff like my sun hat and beach bag. And now that I think about it, I believe I had the topper in the inside I had on the Royal in November of 2013. That is why I know they will double them up on one bed if you suggest it. Say hi to Gregg (cabin steward) for me!

hello Denise, if you wouldn't mind could you tell me the name of the bartenders at the outrigger bar? I was on the royal in dec and the two bartenders were great...Dante and Claudia, I board agin this sat and was curious if they were still there. Thank you so much!!

Hi Denise!

I just saw this thread and realized that you will be getting off the Royal this Saturday at Pier 2 in FLL and we will be boarding the Caribbean Princess at Pier 21!! I appreciate reading your comments about the Royal since we are planning on booking for the fall. We were on the Regal last December for Bob's B-day and really enjoyed the ship - especially the Retreat pool area and Alfredo's. I also had the crab, lime margarita & HIGHLY recommend it, they are delicious!!

Have fun!!!

Andrea

~~~~~~~~

We are in St Thomas, so I thought I would post some thoughts on our first 7 days of our 20 day cruise.

Embarkation was a breeze. Arrived about 11:15, filled out all necessary info and we were on the ship minutes later!

Seeing the Piazza was as exciting as the first time! We love this ship. She certainly doesn't disappoint the second time around.

Food in both the MDR and Horizon Court has been good. We are really enjoying the Caribbean items. Pizza at the pool delicious and Alfredos fabulous! Still haven't had a Crab lime margarita this cruise. Maybe today. :D

I participated in the Drum Circle which performed on Mardi Gras night. It was great fun and a big departure for me to get involved!

Love Crooners. The seating, the space and this time around they are keeping all the shades open so you can view the sea.

We are enjoying our forward balcony but I don't think it is for everyone. There has been quite a bit of movement at night. It is also a walk to most everywhere.

Our bed does NOT have a pillow top. That was something that made me a bit unhappy. I do have some egg crates on it now. Also, the pillows are big. Not my liking but that's very personal.

Weather has been great, ports friendly and fun. Snorkeling Klein Bonaire was terrific.

Haven't been to either pool or MUTS. Did enjoy Colors of the World show.

That about sums it up. Happy Sunday, Easter and Passover from St. Thomas.

Cheers, Denise

Hi Denise,

It was nice being on the Royal again. We disembarked on April 29th from a 10day. Hard to believe it was 2013 the first time. If Raphael is still at Crooner's tell him Marty and Sue say hi. Crooner's was always packed at happy hour but a lot of fun. I thought Princess@sea worked pretty well but could use some tweaking to make better. Enjoy the rest of your cruise.

Marty