car seats/transfers for port canaveral?

tbag124

What do you do if you cruise from here? We're thinking of 1 night in a hotel on either end of our cruise. Maybe 1 night at a WDW resort. Flying into MCO from NJ. There seem to be a lot of options, some more pricey then others. But I'm not sure what to do about car seats b/c I really don't like to lug ours. That's why I like the Magic Express when we go to Disney. We leave the car seats at home, though we haven't taken my daughter yet. My son is 5, my daughter will only be 8 months.

The safe travel vest would be a good option for your 5 year old. The 8 month old will need a seat. I personally wouldn't rent one as you can't guarantee the safety. Bucket seats aren't to heavy to carry so I would just bring your own.

If you are cruising on Disney, they offer shuttles to resorts from cruise port. If you are sailing on a different line, you may want to try a limo. We are planning to use Ace Luxury for our upcoming cruise in Nov. When I booked the limo, I requested a booster for my son, but they also offered car seats - you could call them to see what brand car seat they provide.

The safe travel vest would be a good option for your 5 year old. The 8 month old will need a seat. I personally wouldn't rent one as you can't guarantee the safety. Bucket seats aren't to heavy to carry so I would just bring your own.

I don't know exactly what the statistics are for children injured in accidents in taxis driven by professional drivers while seated in a properly fitted car seat that didn't work, but the odds are miniscule. I shouldn't let that significantly affect your decision as to whether to bring your own.

I don't know exactly what the statistics are for children injured in accidents in taxis driven by professional drivers while seated in a properly fitted car seat that didn't work, but the odds are miniscule. I shouldn't let that significantly affect your decision as to whether to bring your own.

I'm not sure of the numbers myself, but when renting a seat you do not know the history of that seat. How it's been treated or if it's been in any accidents. So for peace of mind I would bring my own where I know it's properly taken care of :)

If you're sailing on DCL and used their transportation (to WDW hotel & port) you would not need/be able to use a car seat since it is motorcoache service. If you are sailing another line you could use Magical Express to/from hotel and the the cruiseline transfers from MCO to Port Canaveral.

We've done this several times and have always rented a car to get from the airport to WDW and then to the cruise port. Sometimes we bring our own car seats and sometimes we rent them. We've never had a problem either way.

I've done that exact trip several times with kids in those age ranges. We prefer renting a car (van in our case) to give us the flexibility to get around for the day(s) we are doing Disney, and so we can head to the port early on cruise day. Both times I have rented car seats from Budget they appeared brand new. The frame, straps, and cover all looked to be in great shape. Some people will say they don't trust a rental seat, but for us carrying around a full size seat for a 3-4 year old in addition to baby stuff was not an option. the cost of the seat rental was minimal.

For the 8mo old, you will need to bring your clip in car seat, and will secure it with a seatbelt (there should always be a method to do so). It may not be ideal, but it's the only way. Our seat spent the majority of the cruise in one of our closets except for dinner time where we used it as a napping place with a thin blanket over it (next to our table).

You probably won't want to bring a stroller compatible with the seat, as they are just too big, though a lightweight small stroller will be well worth it.

What do you do if you cruise from here? We're thinking of 1 night in a hotel on either end of our cruise. Maybe 1 night at a WDW resort. Flying into MCO from NJ. There seem to be a lot of options, some more pricey then others. But I'm not sure what to do about car seats b/c I really don't like to lug ours. That's why I like the Magic Express when we go to Disney. We leave the car seats at home, though we haven't taken my daughter yet. My son is 5, my daughter will only be 8 months.

If your 5 year old meets the minimum weight limits, I would take a backless booster seat just for the trip even if you aren't using it at home yet. For 8 month old I would take infant seat (assuming she still fits in it). You could either just do a seatbelt install without the base, or you could take the base too. Personally I prefer to take the base, but if I were traveling with 2 kids instead of just 1 I might change my mind about that :)

Hi, We have the trip to and from the port covered, but what about the excursions or taxis in Cozumel and Progresso. Our grandson is two, so he isn't big enough for a booster. I went to Amazon to check out the travel vest, but it is no longer sold by the manufacturer.

Hi, We have the trip to and from the port covered, but what about the excursions or taxis in Cozumel and Progresso. Our grandson is two, so he isn't big enough for a booster. I went to Amazon to check out the travel vest, but it is no longer sold by the manufacturer.

This really depends on the excursions and what type of vehicles are used. Tour bus type excursions may not even allow for a car seat while others use vehicles that do. If I were using a taxi I'd want one.

When we've sailed with DD we've planned out in advance what we are going to do and we never sailed with a car seat. On our 1st cruise we just walked around the port areas, 2nd one we took a water taxi in 1 port & walked all over in the other and on our most recent cruise we enjoyed the ship on port days. Now we have a Bubblebum that we will travel with (she's now 4).

Although we sailed with our car seat, we actually only used it before and after the cruise (spent a week with my parents after so it was more than just getting to/from hotel and ship). At one port we did a Duck tour on a bus/boat so no need for car seat, at one we just walked around the port area, and at the third he actually stayed on the ship with my parents while we took an excursion, but it was also on a bus.

Our next cruise is scheduled for when he is 2 and leaves from the port just over an hour from our house. We will drive to the port, leave the seat behind and use busses and boats to get around Bermuda.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If your 5 year old meets the minimum weight limits, I would take a backless booster seat just for the trip even if you aren't using it at home yet. For 8 month old I would take infant seat (assuming she still fits in it). You could either just do a seatbelt install without the base, or you could take the base too. Personally I prefer to take the base, but if I were traveling with 2 kids instead of just 1 I might change my mind about that :)

"Booster Seat" I didn't think that was allowed on an airline ??

You can bring a baclkless booster on the plane, and it won't be counted as a carry on, but it has to be stored in the overhead bins.

Yes to this. At 5 I would use the regular airplane seat then use booster seat at destination.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• 4 years later...

Its very understandable to not want to bring a car seat. It is very tedious. Since you don't want to experience the stress of bringing a car seat I would suggest the car service Kidmoto. They have exactly what you're looking for, you just have to pick what vehicle you would like and the car seat size and they'll pick you up at the time you specify. They are very convenient for those who travel and those who just like going on vacation every now and then with the little ones.

18 hours ago, Jaydan0000 said:

Its very understandable to not want to bring a car seat. It is very tedious. Since you don't want to experience the stress of bringing a car seat I would suggest the car service Kidmoto. They have exactly what you're looking for, you just have to pick what vehicle you would like and the car seat size and they'll pick you up at the time you specify. They are very convenient for those who travel and those who just like going on vacation every now and then with the little ones.

I find it interesting that you started your posting on cruisecritic with advertising a service. Especially, when you necroposted.