Formal nights on Anthem

No formal nights is a feature not a pitfall.

Check what I just wrote about the rci pitfall that ruined a lot of people's dining on quantum.

By the way ....... This has nothing to do with a gala formal night :)

On RCI you don't really see a "gala" formal evening. Most people (from US ports) change from their formal wear into more comfortable clothes after dinner. So the entire ship is not in a formal mode.

Yes ....... that's probably true (what a waste)

But this is England. ...... not America.

I understand where you are coming from Stitch, a bit of pomp and ceremony is what we like and what cruising is all about ;-) x

What you're describing left main stream cruising a long time ago.

The closest you'll come to that today is Cunard:)

Edited by American Bear

Sorry. I was thinking of Anthem going out of New Jersey, not England.

It'll be a while before it arrives in America chuck ........

And apparently, she'll never come back, and we get indy again !!!!

YAY !!

What you're describing left main stream cruising a long time ago.

The closest you'll come to that today is Cunard:)

Cunard, Princess, P&O, Holland America, celebrity .........

Did you forget them baby ?

Your problem my friend is with your TA and NOT Royal Caribbean or Us.

My TA explained it all from the day I booked in March 2014. You need a better TA.

The big print is that I have seen it on websites, adverts, magazines, tv and at a cruise show where RCCL wasn't even there, it was still being discussed.

You're absolutely right xx

OP sounds like your travel agent didn't communicate properly to your girlfriend. And that is being charitable. Lesson being to do some research before dropping a lot of money to verify the experience matches your desires.

OP sounds like your travel agent didn't communicate properly to your girlfriend. And that is being charitable. Lesson being to do some research before dropping a lot of money to verify the experience matches your desires.

My girlfriend was just on her way in to see one of her advertisers, TA phoned her.

GF more or less got bullied into paying her and explained nothing.

Renee !! ...... what a git !

I guess I still don't get what the big deal is or why it would be worth not booking over. You still have a formal dining room where everyone there will be dressed up with you because they want to be. Which is already more than the other RC sailings where only some people dressed up (which was fine too, but hardly every single person in the dining room). And then, usually the people with late seating are walking about the ship in shorts while the early diners are getting formal photos taken and the early diners are already changed while the later ones are dressed and eating. So you end up with only some of the ship dressed at the same time anyway. Kinda the same end result. I don't get the drama.

I don't expect you to get it really ...... no one else does.

My girlfriend was just on her way in to see one of her advertisers, TA phoned her.

GF more or less got bullied into paying her and explained nothing.

Renee !! ...... what a git !

So out of the blue totally unprovoked your TA cold called your gf and sold her a cruise?

The majority of people do know about 'this formal night stuff'. Quantum class are sold as revolutionary, with dynamic dining.

It sounds like you have used a TA as just a booking agent, not as Travel Advisors!

Yes ..... And they made a pigs ear of it ...... hence dynamic classic now.

So out of the blue totally unprovoked your TA cold called your gf and sold her a cruise?

No ....... I'd arranged her to call the next day due to my bad phone signal at work.

so gf called them ...... then called her back a few minutes later just as she was going into work. Caught gf on the hop and badly insisted payment. The full 3 grand!

Check what I just wrote about the rci pitfall that ruined a lot of people's dining on quantum.

By the way ....... This has nothing to do with a gala formal night :)

I don't think RCL ruined anyone's dining on Quantum. But, then, I don't think traditional dining with two formal nights, same table mates, same waitstaff, same table, and same dining time is a great and wonderful experience.

I came back to RCI because of DD and I was disappointed that it had been delayed. I've two cruises booked on Oasis class ships and my best hope is that DD will be in place on both ships by my cruise dates.

And, just for the record, I can't wait until there are no more formal nights. Not that I have anything against you dressing up. Do it as often as you like. Go to Grande every night if you like. I just don't want to dress up and I can't imagine why anyone would think they have the right to insist on others dressing up just so they can have a good time.

why should I have to research every ship before booking?

I am uncomfortable about having to book dining and entertainment months prior to my cruise. why should the onus be on the customer to do this? This cruise line should be sorting this out. .

That's what makes us all different - Some of us enjoy the process of "sorting this out," and booking months in advance. I like to to book each dinner and evening's entertainment myself.

No ....... I'd arranged her to call the next day due to my bad phone signal at work.

so gf called them ...... then called her back a few minutes later just as she was going into work. Caught gf on the hop and badly insisted payment. The full 3 grand!

Couldn't your gf just say no?

?? I booked Anthem for 20th June several months back with this same company mentioned by the OP, and one of the very first things out of the guy's mouth was words to the effect of "do you know about dynamic dining and how it works?"

If something has always been "something", then when the advert says "This changes Everything", then the purchaser should know he is not going to get the same as he always got.

I like formal night, and yes I will miss it. But I think it is unfair to blame others because of a lack of research on your part.

?? I booked Anthem for 20th June several months back with this same company mentioned by the OP, and one of the very first things out of the guy's mouth was words to the effect of "do you know about dynamic dining and how it works?"

If something has always been "something", then when the advert says "This changes Everything", then the purchaser should know he is not going to get the same as he always got.

I like formal night, and yes I will miss it. But I think it is unfair to blame others because of a lack of research on your part.

Same here, I used the same TA. They spent so long telling me all about dynamic dining and the new ship, I couldn't get them off the phone as much as I tried!

Stitchman, without any personal input, got booked onto the Anthem by his GF.

Stitchman's TA most likely did not mention the fact that the Anthem is not a Traditional cruise ship.

The Anthem is not what Stitchman wants in a cruise.

Stitchman is unable to change this cruise.

Stitchman's TA got his GF to book a cruise over the phone, when his GF was not at a good time and place to make a major decision.

Stitchman's TA and GF bear responsibility for putting him somewhere he doesn"t want to be.

I get where he's coming from. Really.

He doesn't want to be in a tux and have every third gentleman he sees wearing khakis and a Hawaiian shirt, and every fifth "gentleman" he sees in dark jeans and a "good" t-shirt.

Stitchman, deep breath, take another one.

Let it go and enjoy the time with your GF, non-traditional cruising be damned !!