Specific fully or partially obstructed cabin recommendations

elycelynne

This would be specifically for the Vista-class ships on the Upper Promenade deck (deck 4). I know that views from some fully obstructed cabins can be better than others, and hopefully partially obstructed would even be a bit better than those.

So if anyone could recommend specific cabins to either book or stay away from, I'd greatly appreciate it! :D

You can find examples of these cabins on YouTube. Below is an example video:

The beds are against a side wall rather than the window, and the window is full height. These cabins will not accommodate a third passenger as there is no sofa bed.

igraf

This would be specifically for the Vista-class ships on the Upper Promenade deck (deck 4). I know that views from some fully obstructed cabins can be better than others, and hopefully partially obstructed would even be a bit better than those.

So if anyone could recommend specific cabins to either book or stay away from, I'd greatly appreciate it! :D

You can find examples of these cabins on YouTube. Below is an example video:

The beds are against a side wall rather than the window, and the window is full height. These cabins will not accommodate a third passenger as there is no sofa bed.

igraf

Thanks, but I already have a general idea of the layout of these cabins (kind of like a standard balcony cabin, but without the balcony). What I was looking for were specific cabin numbers within the fully-obstructed category where the obstructed view might not be as bad as others (and conversely, partially-obstructed view cabins that might as well be fully-obstructed view cabins). In other words, which ones to stay away from.

Just to be clear on one point though, even though there aren't sofa beds, there are at least regular sofas -- Correct?

Edited by elycelynne

Cunard's QE and QV are essentially Vista ships in a different color scheme. Cunard has pictures of their limited view cabins here:

https://ask.cunard.com/help/cunard/fleet/qe_obs

If you compare a Cunard and HAL deck plan to adjust for different numbering schemes, you should be able to get a pretty good idea of what the corresponding HAL cabin will be.

Roy

Thanks, but I already have a general idea of the layout of these cabins (kind of like a standard balcony cabin, but without the balcony). What I was looking for were specific cabin numbers within the fully-obstructed category where the obstructed view might not be as bad as others (and conversely, partially-obstructed view cabins that might as well be fully-obstructed view cabins). In other words, which ones to stay away from.

Just to be clear on one point though, even though there aren't sofa beds, there are at least regular sofas -- Correct?

Having done my old web site as long as I did, I came to realize the partially obstructed view staterooms on the Vistas thast had the best views were those that on HAL's Deck Plans have a "+" sign between them. So I'd think any of those deck 4 partially obstructed mid ship staterooms should be what you might want.

Joanie

Edited by IRL_Joanie

I can't name the site I use on this site (against CC's rules :) ) .... but try googling "which cabins are best on cruise ships" and you should be able to find a site that will let you pick the ship you're interested in. Once you pick the ship you can look at what they say about specific decks and cabins. It's pretty clear about how you do it :)

You need to find an exterior photo that views straight at the side of the ship. Here is good one of the Noordam:

http://www.photomaassluis.com/images/pictures/cruiseships/noordam.jpg

You should be able to select the least obstructed view.

igraf

Edited by igraf

Having done my old web site as long as I did, I came to realize the partially obstructed view staterooms on the Vistas thast had the best views were those that on HAL's Deck Plans have a "+" sign between them. So I'd think any of those deck 4 partially obstructed mid ship staterooms should be what you might want.

Joanie

I'm confused - I thought the "+" meant the cabins are connecting. That's what it looks like on the plans to me.

I'm confused - I thought the "+" meant the cabins are connecting. That's what it looks like on the plans to me.

YIKES!!! You are right!! I was thinking of connecting rooms and that's what happens when I think:o

Let me correct myself with this:

http://www.hollandamerica.com/main/DeckPlansFull.action?ship=no_2&deck=up&deep=0

The partially obstructed are the ones nearest the front of the lifeboats, i.e., HH 4057, HH 4058

The G category such as 4071, G 4072 etc., you can see straight out from with little to no view of the lifeboats. If you look at the deck plans it shows an opening between the lifeboats.

Thanks Windsailer for correcting me!!:)

Joanie

The partially obstructed views will view between the tender/life boats, but will have the boat hoist structures right in front of the window. Better than staring at a boat hull but still not a clear view.

The white hoist structures can be seen to the left side of the window view in the YouTube video I referenced earlier in this thread.

igraf

The G category such as 4071, G 4072 etc., you can see straight out from with little to no view of the lifeboats. If you look at the deck plans it shows an opening between the lifeboats. ...

Joanie

Edited by igraf

Hi Elyce how are you?

We have had quite a few obstructed view cabins on the Upper Promanade deck on the Westerdan, Zuiderdam and the Noordam. We have determined that those cabins in the front looking out, over or around life boats rather than tenders are better. They are smaller than the tenders in the back. The life boats are all in the front tenders are in the back. The best view, limited at best, are G cabins as shown below. The HH and H cabins you will look right into the side of the life boats. Photos also below.

DSC_6955.jpg

Westerdam G-4079

DSC_1235.jpg

Westerdam H-4068

DSC_0633.jpg

Zuiderdam HH-4061

If you book one of these type of cabins you need to be aware that you need to check outside before you open the drapes and be dressed or you might be surprised when a crew member looks in on you...:eek:

DSCN6437.jpg

Rick

Thanks, Rick! Great photos!

So it looks like the views from the fully obstructed cabins where you can look around the front or back of the lifeboats are better than the ones where the lifeboats totally cover the whole window, although I would imagine that I'd have less of a chance for "peepers" if I booked a partially obstructed "G" cabin since the only view is of the hoist structures.

Good to know!

Am I correct in my assumption that with the exception of the bed being by the window instead of the sofa being there, the cabins are pretty much the same size as the actual cabin size of standard balcony cabins (obviously without the balcony)? Or are there more differences that I'm unaware of?

Edited by elycelynne

Am I correct in my assumption that with the exception of the bed being by the window instead of the sofa being there, the cabins are pretty much the same size as the actual cabin size of standard balcony cabins (obviously without the balcony)?

Yes.

We have stayed in cabin 4120 on the Noordam and Westerdam and love this cabin on both ships. The view is approx 50% obstructed. The bed is close to the window with the couch and desk being closer to the closet area, just the opposite of a balcony arrangement on the Vista class ships. There is plenty of room in these cabins and we would not hesitate to book one in the future.

Deleted. Never mind.

igraf

Am I correct in my assumption that with the exception of the bed being by the window instead of the sofa being there, the cabins are pretty much the same size as the actual cabin size of standard balcony cabins (obviously without the balcony)? Or are there more differences that I'm unaware of?
Edited by igraf

Can someone make some recommendations on the partially obstructed cabins on Maaadam (or Veendam), or do I need to start another thread?

Are there any with the full length windows, or is that just on Vista class?

Can someone make some recommendations on the partially obstructed cabins on Maaadam (or Veendam), or do I need to start another thread?

Are there any with the full length windows, or is that just on Vista class?

See the link in my signature.

All R & S class limited view cabins are on the lower promenade deck.

Roy

Disregard what I said about the third passenger. Accommodations for a third or fourth passenger are for certain designated staterooms based on furniture arrangement rather than stateroom type. I just learned about this when a relative asked to join us on our upcoming cruise. There are a small number of obstructed-view staterooms on Vista-class ships that will accept a third passenger.

igraf

Y...These cabins will not accommodate a third passenger as there is no sofa bed.

igraf

See the link in my signature.

All R & S class limited view cabins are on the lower promenade deck.

Roy

This is terrific. Thank you.

I just want to know how long it took you to take the photos on each ship.

I only actually took pictures on the Amsterdam and Statendam; the different pages for the individual ships are to take into account differences in how the cabins are numbered. I have "field checked" the pictures on the Ryndam and Maasdam to be sure they were actually transferrable.

I started doing that on the Crystal Symphony. When I was on the Amsterdam World Cruise last year there was a Q&A and somebody complained about the view from their cabin. A light bulb went off "I have an answer for that", and actually taking the pictures probably took about an hour, and most of the sorting and organizing was done on the train from Ft. Lauderdale to Baltimore.

I'm glad you asked when you did. I think there are some similar cabins on the Prinsendam, so 28 days will give me time to work that in.

Roy