One parent Cruising with Child

cruisin2604

Can anyone tell me from their own experience... is it possible to cruise with your child if you have joint custody with the child's father and he will not provide the letter that carnival "suggest" out of spite. Has anyone recently cruised in this situation... was the letter ever asked for??? I have called Carnival numerous times and given the answer of .."you never know" "probably be ok, but someone might ask for it". ??? :confused:

I'm about to take cruise #4 with my daughters and I've never been asked for the forms once. I knew that I wanted to travel with them so in our custody agreement (signed by the judge) there is a section that says that I am allowed to travel with my daughters internationally and that document serves as her consent. Naturally, I take this with me when I travel, but I have never been asked for it once.

I have been asked for it once and had a passport where he had to sign for me to get it. Please be aware that they may or may not ask for it, but if they do and you don't have it you will be denied boarding.

Can anyone tell me from their own experience... is it possible to cruise with your child if you have joint custody with the child's father and he will not provide the letter that carnival "suggest" out of spite. Has anyone recently cruised in this situation... was the letter ever asked for??? I have called Carnival numerous times and given the answer of .."you never know" "probably be ok, but someone might ask for it". ??? :confused:

Stupid rule, Right?

However, ask yourself. What if HE took your child out of the country and never came back???

Now you'd be pissed and asking why nobody did anything to stop it.

Having said that,,, 99% of the time, nobody asks for the letter. IF they do and you don't have it, you will be denied boarding and this would not be a valid claim for insurance reimbursement.

Sorry you're going thru this.

An option would be to take him back to court and let the judge decide.

We have taken my stepson on a bunch of cruises and have never been asked for the letter. We have always had a letter from his dad but never had to produce it. One cruise we took a friend of his and there were four of us all with different last names and they did not request the letter for either child.

That being said, you never know. I have heard of some people being asked for the letter but most people i have talked to do not have to produce it.

my ex refused last year so I took him to court. Judge ordered him to sign for passports and Carnival letter. If he refused the judge was going to sign it saying the state knew my actions. After spending $1500 he signed and Carnival never asked for the letter!!! That's ok though, I still got their passports and it will last long enough that they will be an adult by the time its up for renewal.

I have been on numerous cruises with just my child. I only had the letter once from his father and have never been asked for it. Only once has a customs agent asked my child who I was (my son was 3 at the time). He said "that is Mommy" and off we went, no further questions asked. I think you will be just fine. If I recall, the letter is not a requirement to travel with your child, just a recommendation.

I have been asked for it once and had a passport where he had to sign for me to get it. Please be aware that they may or may not ask for it, but if they do and you don't have it you will be denied boarding.

I have been on 8 cruises with my DD 9--never asked for any letter. It is a suggestion only if you are traveling with other peoples kids. You will NOT be denied boarding if asked and you dont have..you are allowed to travel with your own kids.

Think about it, how many people have kids where the father is nowhere to be found, dead, missing, jail, sperm donors, etc. Are these people really not allowed to travel with their kids? Also the letter is just a hand written note--not a court document. You can have your aunt mary write it and say its the father. It is not a legal document and means nothing.

Edited by bingomamma19

If I recall, the letter is not a requirement to travel with your child, just a recommendation.

I'll disagree with this statement.

I was refused entry into Canada for a day visit when I couldn't produce a letter signed by the other parent.

I believe international anti kidnapping laws do require this letter and I feel the Cruiselines should be more vigilant.

I had the same issue and asked on here and got mixed answers so I called Homeland Security in Galveston where I was cruising from to ask what their policy was .I was told I was permitted to cruise with my child no letter or questions would be asked .I took the name of officer just in case .I sailed no issues or questions asked in Nov.

I'll disagree with this statement.

I was refused entry into Canada for a day visit when I couldn't produce a letter signed by the other parent.

I believe international anti kidnapping laws do require this letter and I feel the Cruiselines should be more vigilant.

I was not referring to crossing the border into Canada, I was referring to taking a child on a cruise with one parent. I guess I should have been more clear.

I have been on 8 cruises with my DD 9--never asked for any letter. It is a suggestion only if you are traveling with other peoples kids. You will NOT be denied boarding if asked and you dont have..you are allowed to travel with your own kids.

Think about it, how many people have kids where the father is nowhere to be found, dead, missing, jail, sperm donors, etc. Are these people really not allowed to travel with their kids? Also the letter is just a hand written note--not a court document. You can have your aunt mary write it and say its the father. It is not a legal document and means nothing.

While it is not mandatory in the US and you can not be denied access for not having one, you can be detained until it is proven that you have the right to travel with the child. So while being detained, you can miss the ship. Your other examples are irrelevant as in these cases the parent would have sole custody, not joint custody.

Also a hand written note can be used they recommend that it is notarized as a hand written note without notarization can still be reason for detainment.

So 99% of the time you will not be asked for the note, but it is much better to have the proof than not.

Also if you are going to Canada make sure you have one, as we are much more strict regarding this. I have been asked for the letter every time returning to Canada without my wife present.

I was a widowed single mom and took my kids on cruises for years....took the death certificate every time "just in case" and was never asked for it.

I am a single mom by choice (meaning there s no legal second parent). I have taken my girls on 4 cruises and have never once been asked for any documentation beyond their passports. I always bring the birth certificates, just in case, but never needed them. I've heard it's more complicated if your children have a different last name, but no first hand experience with that scenario.

You're playing with fire if you travel without one. Yes they can deny boarding and yes, you can be denied access crossing borders.

If the other parent (father or mother) will not cooperate, you can file your OWN application at the court. You do not need a lawyer for this, judges do it all the time. They will give the other parent the courtesy to explain why they won't grant the letter and if it is not a valid reason, the judge can grant the permission themselves.

Give yourself lots of time to do this - they can rush through an emergency, but it isn't look upon positively if you leave it until the last minute. Just validates your exes opinion as to why you shouldn't be trusted taking the kids out of country.

I've been a single parent for 8 yrs and travel with my kids. I do have a letter from their dad but even when we were married and I traveled to visit my parents within the country, I had a permission letter from him just saying he was aware we were traveling.

Not worth the risk.

I am a single mom by choice (meaning there s no legal second parent). I have taken my girls on 4 cruises and have never once been asked for any documentation beyond their passports. I always bring the birth certificates, just in case, but never needed them. I've heard it's more complicated if your children have a different last name, but no first hand experience with that scenario.

My DD 9 and I do have different last names. Never an issue. I have been to just about every carribean port and mexico on cruises. Never an issue. There is no law that requires carrying a letter. A letter carries no legal weight.

You're playing with fire if you travel without one. Yes they can deny boarding and yes, you can be denied access crossing borders.

If the other parent (father or mother) will not cooperate, you can file your OWN application at the court. You do not need a lawyer for this, judges do it all the time. They will give the other parent the courtesy to explain why they won't grant the letter and if it is not a valid reason, the judge can grant the permission themselves.

Give yourself lots of time to do this - they can rush through an emergency, but it isn't look upon positively if you leave it until the last minute. Just validates your exes opinion as to why you shouldn't be trusted taking the kids out of country.

I've been a single parent for 8 yrs and travel with my kids. I do have a letter from their dad but even when we were married and I traveled to visit my parents within the country, I had a permission letter from him just saying he was aware we were traveling.

Not worth the risk.

Not worth the risk.

You will NOT be denied boarding of the ship traveling with your own child, there is no requirement to carry a letter and a letter carries no legal weight. I wish people would stop spreading wrong information and trying to scare people.

I think this all depends on last names right? As to whether or not you have the right to travel with the child. The letter usually has to be notarized indicating the other parent produced identification to the notary who acknowledges the letter. That's what makes it an official letter. Carnival has the option to deny boarding if you are asked and you cannot provide the document. RCCL does the same, I saw that on one of the cruising TV specials. You can always try without one and hope you are not the 1 out of 1000 that is asked for the letter. And also hope your ex isn't vindictive enough to accuse you of illegally transporting the child. Not sure of your entire situation, but I would seek a legal remedy just to be sure.

If Carnival wants to ask about the letter they can, as it states, so if you want to go ahead and try and keep your finger crossed then go for it. But, if your ex would be spiteful enough to not sign then what if he is really mad that you went anyway and reported the kid missing or kidnapped to the authorities because you have joint custody or whatever the case may be.

The whole point is that Carnival CAN ask for the letter and you have been warned. So no crying at the gate if they ask and you have nothing to show. When you produce the birth certificate to the desk to check in then they may ask where is the father or prompt the question. If you were to get a passport for your child both parents need to be present as well and every 5 years to apply again (children cannot renew) until they are 16 I think.

I am sick of people on here trying to scare people too. A letter is only needed if your cruise will END in Mexico.

You will not be denied boarding and you will not be detained.

But I have a solution. If you are asked for the not needed letter by someone with a stick up their backside and you are not comfortable saying you do not have one, simply say you left it in the car, leave, come back and go to another check in person.

I say this because there used to be a poster who claimed she was a check-in agent and said she always asked for the letter. I will point out though that every single time I asked what happened if they did not have it and did not get an answer even one time.

Go, don't worry about it. Don't bother with spending the money on court, because the letter is not needed for a cruise.