Come Sail a Way with us LIVE as the Westerdam meets the Sail a Way Gang

kazu

We went ashore for an hour or so and wandered around. Huatulco is very pretty. Almost Mediterranean! We saw lots of small fish around the ship, puffer fish, needle fish and others. It's very hot. 1of4 and her three were going to the beach, right beside the pier, and there are quite a lot of swimmers we can see from here in the Crow's Nest.

The first cruise after getting to 5 stars, not one word about the complimentary cooking class; the next cruise we were called shortly after boarding to tell us about it and asked if wanted to attend, as lots of non 5 stars wanted the class. We did not do it.

We were qualified for 5 stars when HAL introduced it.

The first cruise, we received an invitation to the Cooking Class, with a requested RSVP. Nice.

Subsequent cruises: no invitation, no Cooking Class on one, "because no one signed up but you two". However, there was no advertising (in the daily program) for the Class, so how many knew about it in a ship of 1400? Other cruises, we have had to ask or push the Front Desk to sign us up.

Ships vary, but this is not being done well. The actual classes have been C+ to AA, so we are pretty happy. Would appreciate a consistent way in which HAL handles the sign-up for the Class for 5 stars, though.

Roy,

I saw some pictures on fb with QV going through the Panama Canal. I wonder if Cunard is going to call in more often in Port Canaveral?

Dixiefinn,

Thanks for your concern. I did not feel very well last night but I did update my blog before I went to bed at ten! Just saw Rich and he had a technical reason why my blog might not have updated.

As to our delay in leaving Puerto Chiapas, it was because of a demonstration. Two of the ladies at the dinner table were on the bus and showed me their pictures. They said there were about 100 demonstrators who were standing in the road and had put large rocks in the highway to stop traffic. They wanted the roads improved.

My friends said they sat for about two hours in a long line of traffic that was stopped (they were about a half mile back). The local guides walked to the front where the demonstrators were and tried to negotiate to let the tour bus go through. A couple of the protestors came back to the bus and, after checking that they were tourists, let the bus get out of line and move up. When the bus reached the blockage the demonstrators changed their minds and would not let the bus through. It took some more negotiation before they finally did allow the bus to pass.

HAL had cold drinks (alcoholic and non) and munchies set up for them upon return.

They both had very high praise for the tour guides and HAL.

Very interesting, Scrapnana. I was on a noonish shuttle from Tapachula, and wondered why the van took a quite different route back to the port than the trip to the town. I thought at the time that it was just to give us a different view, but I wonder if perhaps the road blocks were already going up.

We were qualified for 5 stars when HAL introduced it.

The first cruise, we received an invitation to the Cooking Class, with a requested RSVP. Nice.

Subsequent cruises: no invitation, no Cooking Class on one, "because no one signed up but you two". However, there was no advertising (in the daily program) for the Class, so how many knew about it in a ship of 1400? Other cruises, we have had to ask or push the Front Desk to sign us up.

Ships vary, but this is not being done well. The actual classes have been C+ to AA, so we are pretty happy. Would appreciate a consistent way in which HAL handles the sign-up for the Class for 5 stars, though.

On our recent cruise, we got a call from the Culinary Host and she said that she had reserved 2 places for us for the cooking class (we are 5 star Mariners). Never got a call or a card before. The class was to be from Noon until 3. We declined.

I will try to post a photo I took of the remaining school supplies and stuff we took to the school. Kazu gave me a lesson in how to put a picture on Tapatalk, but I really don't remember - may have to see if she is in, but I will try first. If it doesn't work, I'll try again later!481c9e76c2ea7f1e399808a6d4a9768a.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Roy,

I saw some pictures on fb with QV going through the Panama Canal. I wonder if Cunard is going to call in more often in Port Canaveral?

Dixiefinn,

Thanks for your concern. I did not feel very well last night but I did update my blog before I went to bed at ten! Just saw Rich and he had a technical reason why my blog might not have updated.

As to our delay in leaving Puerto Chiapas, it was because of a demonstration. Two of the ladies at the dinner table were on the bus and showed me their pictures. They said there were about 100 demonstrators who were standing in the road and had put large rocks in the highway to stop traffic. They wanted the roads improved.

My friends said they sat for about two hours in a long line of traffic that was stopped (they were about a half mile back). The local guides walked to the front where the demonstrators were and tried to negotiate to let the tour bus go through. A couple of the protestors came back to the bus and, after checking that they were tourists, let the bus get out of line and move up. When the bus reached the blockage the demonstrators changed their minds and would not let the bus through. It took some more negotiation before they finally did allow the bus to pass.

HAL had cold drinks (alcoholic and non) and munchies set up for them upon return.

They both had very high praise for the tour guides and HAL.

We were in a different port when demonstrators literally blocked all roads and all tours were cancelled -- Puerto Quetzal.

Glad HAL had drinks and munchies set up for them.

I will try to post a photo I took of the remaining school supplies and stuff we took to the school. Kazu gave me a lesson in how to put a picture on Tapatalk, but I really don't remember - may have to see if she is in, but I will try first. If it doesn't work, I'll try again later!481c9e76c2ea7f1e399808a6d4a9768a.jpg

You did well!!

Each child was wearing a different costume, representing different Mayan tribes. They came forward one at a time to tell us which tribal clothing they were wearing. Most of the boys were wearing hats, which they swept off and bowed after their little spiel - most in Spanish, but a few in English.

I must confess to being part of the rowdy group in the Lido last night. It was great fun and such a wonderful roll call is making this a memorable cruise indeed. Our only complaint is the hit or miss hot water situation in our cabin. This morning we celebrated two mornings in a row with hot water. A first.

Today we are in Huactulo, which is a truly beautiful and clean spot. Along with Lizzie and her husband we did something today that took us completely out of our comfort zone. Last year we had met up with a taxi driver called "The Brother", who spoke Spanglish and took us around locally. We enjoyed him so much that I arranged for him to meet the four of us this AM.

He took us way out into the country and then onto this back country dirt road which we followed for about half an hour before coming to a local beach area that the tourists don't see. Afterwards we all admitted that it occurred to us that we were going against all the rules set forth by the Canadian government for personal safety in Mexico. Taxi, rural roads, nobody knew where we were etc.

We passed through some desperately poor areas. Unbelievable, actually. The ship's tours don't take you into territory like that. When we arrived at the beach area, which was truly magnificent, some locals surrounded our cab and directed us into the community toilet. Let's just say that you were required to load a bucket of water from a large tub and lug it in with you for flushing purposes. Nuff said.

Then a lady appeared and took us down a scary lane to her outdoor restaurant. We all sat outside ( it was all outside) and ordered drinks and enjoyed watching the local community. They were watching us too. When we left we quietly hoped that there was nobody lying in wait for us on the long road back out to the highway.

Afterwards we decided that despite our apprehensions, it does a person good to see the other side of life once in a while. It makes us realise that we really have nothing to complain about in our lives. It was a very interesting little adventure and it was hugs all around with The Brother when he returned us to the ship.

Tonight we have been invited to an officer's hosted table so we will get to enjoy some of the wonderful food selections that Lizzie and Kazu were talking about.

Edited by sapper1

I must confess to being part of the rowdy group in the Lido last night. It was great fun and such a wonderful roll call is making this a memorable cruise indeed. Our only complaint is the hit or miss hot water situation in our cabin. This morning we celebrated two mornings in a row with hot water. A first.

Today we are in Huactulo, which is a truly beautiful and clean spot. Along with Lizzie and her husband we did something today that took us completely out of our comfort zone. Last year we had met up with a taxi driver called "The Brother", who spoke Spanglish and took us around locally. We enjoyed him so much that I arranged for him to meet the four of us this AM.

He took us way out into the country and then onto this back country dirt road which we followed for about half an hour before coming to a local beach area that the tourists don't see. Afterwards we all admitted that it occurred to us that we were going against all the rules set forth by the Canadian government for personal safety in Mexico. Taxi, rural roads, nobody knew where we were etc.

We passed through some desperately poor areas. Unbelievable, actually. The ship's tours don't take you into territory like that. When we arrived at the beach area, which was truly magnificent, some locals surrounded our cab and directed us into the community toilet. Let's just say that you were required to load a bucket of water from a large tub and lug it in with you for flushing purposes. Nuff said.

Then a lady appeared and took us down a scary lane to her outdoor restaurant. We all sat outside ( it was all outside) and ordered drinks and enjoyed watching the local community. They were watching us too. When we left we quietly hoped that there was nobody lying in wait for us on the long road back out to the highway.

Afterwards we decided that despite our apprehensions, it does a person good to see the other side of life once in a while. It makes us realise that we really have nothing to complain about in our lives. It was a very interesting little adventure and it was hugs all around with The Brother when he returned us to the ship.

Thanks for sharing this with us.

I'm on a roll! I have to post another of the children. While Kazu unpacked school supplies for the "Mama", the kids were more interested in the bag of chocolates that she had given one of the older children to distribute. We saw chocolate faces and fingers after!92df94fdbc3cef9991d25bf1a33656b1.jpg

Tonight we have been invited to an officer's hosted table so we will get to enjoy some of the wonderful food selections that Lizzie and Kazu were talking about.

Interesting tour.

Enjoy your dinner tonight.

The Indonesian crew show is this afternoon at 3, which I think is great! I have a difficult time staying up for an 11p.m. show, and I imagine the cast does, too. Off now, to find seats.

I like that time.

We can stay up until 11 to watch a show. And many times we forget to watch it on the TV the next day.

I'm on a roll! I have to post another of the children. While Kazu unpacked school supplies for the "Mama", the kids were more interested in the bag of chocolates that she had given one of the older children to distribute. We saw chocolate faces and fingers after!92df94fdbc3cef9991d25bf1a33656b1.jpg

Another great picture.

You are getting great at this.