Come Sail a Way with us LIVE as the Westerdam meets the Sail a Way Gang

kazu

totally agree. ridiculous really.

On another point before I forget. I have done my conversions and calculations and you are far better off to pay in pesos than American dollars.

American dollars are pricey for us Canadians anyways and I believe in using the currency of the country I am in. The math has proven itself out and I am glad I used the ATM to get more Mexican pesos.

The shock on the faces from storekeepers, restaurants, etc was amazing.

Pesos? you have pesos? oh, here is the price. LOL

I always use the currency of the country and definitely it is worthwhile.

Example, we stopped at the port to have a margarita - yup, we caved (and it was delicious). He told us the price was $16 USD. I said no pesos, the cost was close to $13 USD. Big difference no?

DH is getting ready so it is Adagio time - going to the Canaletto tonight with 0bnxshs (pity them my friends).

Adios for now.

Do you buy the pesos before you leave home or on the ship?

have no idea Sail to be honest. The only ingredient showing on our bottles is vanilla. It is pure vanilla extract.

snip

:)

There has to be a medium to turn the vanilla bean, a solid, into the extract, a liquid. It is either alcohol or water. The bottles I purchased list alcohol as the only ingredient besides vanilla.

There is a sunrise service this morning out on the sea view pool deck for the 100th anniversary of AnZac Day. It begins at 6:30.

We turned the clocks back one hour last night but we still have one hour to go before we are in the Pacific Time Zone.

we finally got to see the FCC yesterday Scrapnana. I had given up and just happened to walk by and see a relatively new sheet the day before. Hope you can find a spot too. She is way more professional than the one we encountered on the Ryndam...but she said she knew exactly who that one was and had many complaints about her.

Doesn't vanilla have alcohol and water? I think it has to. :confused:

Some have corn syrup and then again, some have coumarin. :eek:

Yep. Otherwise it's a paste, more or less.

There has to be a medium to turn the vanilla bean, a solid, into the extract, a liquid. It is either alcohol or water. The bottles I purchased list alcohol as the only ingredient besides vanilla.

There is a sunrise service this morning out on the sea view pool deck for the 100th anniversary of AnZac Day. It begins at 6:30.

We turned the clocks back one hour last night but we still have one hour to go before we are in the Pacific Time Zone.

we finally got to see the FCC yesterday Scrapnana. I had given up and just happened to walk by and see a relatively new sheet the day before. Hope you can find a spot too. She is way more professional than the one we encountered on the Ryndam...but she said she knew exactly who that one was and had many complaints about her.

.hmm will have to check my vanilla again I guess.

a key that doesn't work? Not good 1of4.

Dam, my zagg keyboard died for my iPad. Typing will be a mess from here on and slower. Shoot.

.hmm will have to check my vanilla again I guess.

a key that doesn't work? Not good 1of4.

Dam, my zagg keyboard died for my iPad. Typing will be a mess from here on and slower. Shoot.

Oh no on your keyboard kazu!

I just worry what is in your vanilla extract if nothing is listed on the label.

we also have to go on a hunt for both our laundry submitted Wednesday morning and a new blue bag so DH can get laundry back before leaving in San Diego.

Oh no on your keyboard kazu!

I just worry what is in your vanilla extract if nothing is listed on the label.

we also have to go on a hunt for both our laundry submitted Wednesday morning and a new blue bag so DH can get laundry back before leaving in San Diego.

Ok, paranoid so I rechecked my bottles of vanilla.

It says ingredients: pure vanilla this product does not contain coumarin. Vanilla beans inside.

Have arrived at Cabo and tenders are being lowered already!

Arrival was supposed to be 8:00 on our itinerary. It says 8:30 on the on location and its 7:10 am.

I think they are testing the waters.

1of4 I brought every charger but the one for the keyboard. It's never died before. Not even sure where it's charger is at home LOL

Edited by kazu

Well sometime after diner and before this morning our balcony door got a key! Good news...right?! Too bad the key doesn't work the lock....

My goodness, this cruise has been fraught with problems - no hot water, people traipsing through cabins to work on balconies, no keys, missing laundry, and yet . . . everyone is just rolling with the punches. Good for you; many people would be ranting and raving, demanding free cruises or who knows what, while you folks are just calmly doing your best to make as much lemonade as you can consume. (Mine would be seriously laced with alcohol.) I'd love to sail with all of you because you are my type of people!

Smooth Sailing ! :) :) :)

Gerry

My goodness, this cruise has been fraught with problems - no hot water, people traipsing through cabins to work on balconies, no keys, missing laundry, and yet . . . everyone is just rolling with the punches. Good for you; many people would be ranting and raving, demanding free cruises or who knows what, while you folks are just calmly doing your best to make as much lemonade as you can consume. (Mine would be seriously laced with alcohol.) I'd love to sail with all of you because you are my type of people!

Gerry

This really has been a great cruise for us aside from the water issues. Cold water again this morning so no shower. I will call about it later as we don't need plumbers here while we are getting ready to go to shore.

I was offered a free Pinnacle dinner and said no thanks ---we have a lot booked anyway. We just want hot water please. Then they offered a spa pass and I said no--- just hot water please. We are, however, enjoying the lovely floral arrangement that was sent.

totally agree. ridiculous really.

On another point before I forget. I have done my conversions and calculations and you are far better off to pay in pesos than American dollars.

American dollars are pricey for us Canadians anyways and I believe in using the currency of the country I am in. The math has proven itself out and I am glad I used the ATM to get more Mexican pesos.

The shock on the faces from storekeepers, restaurants, etc was amazing.

Pesos? you have pesos? oh, here is the price. LOL

I always use the currency of the country and definitely it is worthwhile.

Example, we stopped at the port to have a margarita - yup, we caved (and it was delicious). He told us the price was $16 USD. I said no pesos, the cost was close to $13 USD. Big difference no?

DH is getting ready so it is Adagio time - going to the Canaletto tonight with 0bnxshs (pity them my friends).

Adios for now.

I always have pesos in Mexico. I've found that the exchange to be better for usd better at least 60% of the time. I've never had vendors surprised by me using pesos. I wonder why they were in your case.

Ask for a second laundry bag. We always do, and have never been turned down. You'll have the best luck if you can talk directly to your room steward. It's easiest if their in their work room off the hallway. That's usually where the bags are.

Gerry

Our issues are so minor I don't want to take time away from fixing the real issues some are encountering. We are so happy to be on this voyage nothing will take that away.

our room steward had our laundry this morning and had put in a work order for the lock. They are fantastic. Now DD can take off her bathing suit!:o I also got my Canadian customs declaration form back. They asked me to submit it after San Diego. Fancy that! Thanks again Sapper1. :)

Tenders are loading as I type. we don't have an excursion so we have to get a number after 8:30

It says ingredients: pure vanilla this product does not contain coumarin. Vanilla beans inside.

Arrival was supposed to be 8:00 on our itinerary. It says 8:30 on the on location and its 7:10 am.

1of4 I brought every charger but the one for the keyboard. It's never died before. Not even sure where it's charger is at home LOL

If it is liquid then the medium must be water. Some countries don't have to list water as an ingredient.

we have a few chargers in our cabin if you want to see if one will work. Isn't that just the way! DH phone went crazy in Nicaragua and it took him 2 days to get it back but he lost connection to his office.

Edited by 1of4

I've always used the keyboard on the iPad. It's really not that bad and I do type a lot.

We got that standard letter yesterday saying that we would have priority tendering today, but it restricts the time to between 9 and 11. I don't remember that before.

They should go to open tenders by then so that's likely why.

They should go to open tenders by then so that's likely why.

Exactly! Haha, so why bother? Actually, it's 9:10 now and Shane announced there's a 20 minute wait for tendering, so it might help a bit.....

They've got 2 docks open for tendering off the ship,(and 6 tenders) so it should go quite quickly. We're in no hurry, we're on a cruise.

Exactly! Haha, so why bother? Actually, it's 9:10 now and Shane announced there's a 20 minute wait for tendering, so it might help a bit.....

They've got 2 docks open for tendering off the ship,(and 6 tenders) so it should go quite quickly. We're in no hurry, we're on a cruise.

There are always some folks that need to be the first off the ship :D. I had a bad tender experience in Cabo last time so I'm not sure I'd go ashore again. It was extremely rough and it came out of nowhere. Tenders that returned later didn't have that problem.

I can whole hardily concur with SilvertoGold, that cruise on the Westerdam was awesome, with another one of Hal's great Captain's (PJ).

I know who is complaining and I also know Lizzie is a Saint. Not many of us would deal as well as she has with all these continuing problems. From now on we should call her Saint Lizzie.

Thanks for the compliment Melodies - but I am certainly no saint, as my fellow roll call members can attest! However without the reports by others on my woes and attitude I am sure I would have been labeled a complainer by now by the usual doubters who have never heard of such mismanagement and maintenance issues in all their (insert #) days of cruising on HAL. ;) sometimes the denials get so tiresome and I just report the facts, LOL. But no matter what, this has been a fabulous cruise and so much fun. I definitely want to cruise with this bunch again With or without hot water.

Gerry

I've also read cabins not being made up until the afternoon and waiting one hour in the dining room for an appetizer. For me these are all big issues and we've experienced both on Holland America.

I understand rolling with the punches mid cruise. Anyone without basic service like hot water should have a face to face with TPTB on the last full day of the cruise. IMO a per diem refund is in order if basic services are not available.

There are always some folks that need to be the first off the ship :D. I had a bad tender experience in Cabo last time so I'm not sure I'd go ashore again. It was extremely rough and it came out of nowhere. Tenders that returned later didn't have that problem.

The Captain has the azipods going full tilt to keep the tenders on the lee side. It looks calm out there, but I guess it can change in a minute.