Minimum age limit for cruising.

Be careful! Some cruise lines allow infants of 6 months or over as long as the itinerary has no more than two consecutive sea days, otherwise the minimum is 12 months.

Recently two familes were denied boarding on (I think) a Royal Caribbean ship after the itinerary was changed just prior to sailing due to the impact of Cyclone Pam within the region of the original itinerary. The original itinerary was the classic South Pacific one of two sea days followed by port stops. The new itinerary ended up having three sea days in a row and those families were denied boarding as their infants were under twelve months.

am just going through my paperwork now for my upcoming cruise on rhapsody

It says -

Infants sailing on a cruise must be at least 6 months old as of the first day of the cruise or cruisetour. However, for Transatlantic, Transpacific, Hawaii, select South American cruises/cruisetours and other select cruises/cruisetours, the infant (as of the first day of the cruise/cruisetour) must be at least 12 months old. If you require additional information visit our website at http://www.RoyalCaribbean.com.au

It is a bit vague saying other select cruises/cruisetours

Think the way to go is to bank on 12 months so you dont get caught out like those affected by cyclone pam.

Thankyou everyone. I am hoping to maybe go with royal carribean next June and will have a 7 month old. However I really would like to go on the voyager but I don't think it will be in aus. So it might just be worth waiting till the new one is 1.

Edited by zaka1914

Thankyou everyone. I am hoping to maybe go with royal carribean next June and will have a 7 month old. However I really would like to go on the voyager but I don't think it will be in aus. So it might just be worth waiting till the new one is 1.

That would be safer.

Yes, 7 months is a bit too young to ice skate anyways. j/k

Just two points: besides the minimum age requirements for cruising, also check the cruise line's age minimums for things like child minding (in case you want to arrange a break from the little one).

And minimum age (or other*) for swimming pools. Even though some ships have child wading pools or water works areas, there still might be further restrictions applicable for use of those facilities (* like child must be toilet trained). I know when Carnival Spirit transferred to Australia, the swim rules for minors was changed from 'Must be toilet trained' (as per United States Public Health Services rules) to 'Swim Diapers are ok' ( Don't drink the pool water!)

You would need check each individual cruise line for their respective rules regards these points, if it matters to you.

Edited by GandM-nq

Sailed on celebrity solstice in january with 12 month old.

Made very welcome on board. New pack and play for him. Lots of things he could eat. Even saw one gentleman every night go to the bar in the buffet and get four bottles of warm milk.

He could not go in the pool, signs out. The pool butler would tell you even if you sat them on the edge.

Loved the big lawn area too, lots of room to run around.

• 1 year later...

Old thread i know but we have just been researching this subject fir an upcoming cruise on Voyager in 2017 that we booked 12 months ago.

Our son and his partner are also booked. However, looks like they wont be able to cruise now because they will be having a newborn that will be just less than 6 months old at the time of the cruise and Royal will not give special dispensation.

Bugger.:mad:

For domestic cruises that have less than 3 sea days between ports, the minimum age is 6 months. Where sea days exceed 3 days between a port then the minimum age is 12 months.

Royal does cater for tiny tots from 6-36 months. However babysitting fees apply at night. Dinner and speciality restaurants must be attended before 7 pm or early sitting.

Looks like they will have to fly to our debark location and continue with us on our land portion. Stupid thing is a one week old baby can fly but a 5 month old cant cruise.

Unfortunately the same cruise in 2018 already has prices some 25% dearer.