Can you bring drinks onboard

So does the dress code. But it isn't enforced.

Whether someone follows a dress code or not makes no difference to my wallet. But if people want to steal revenue from the cruise line and steal gratuity from servers why stop at water and soda? Take the stuff that costs big bucks.

Edited by LMaxwell

Whether someone follows a dress code or not makes no difference to my wallet. But if people want to steal revenue from the cruise line ...

I always find the "stealing revenue" argument interesting. Take the following three passengers:

A) Does not buy and soda or booze onboard due to cost or personal preference - does not matter. Does not bring any onboard. Just drinks free beverages offered by cruise line. Revenue to ship: $00.00

B) Buys lots of drinks onboard. Spends maybe $100 a day.

C) Buys lots of drink onboard, and also smuggles some booze. Spending is still $100 a day.

Which passenger is "stealing revenue"?

Looks like passenger A is costing them the most.

I always find the "stealing revenue" argument interesting. Take the following three passengers:

A) Does not buy and soda or booze onboard due to cost or personal preference - does not matter. Does not bring any onboard. Just drinks free beverages offered by cruise line. Revenue to ship: $00.00

B) Buys lots of drinks onboard. Spends maybe $100 a day.

C) Buys lots of drink onboard, and also smuggles some booze. Spending is still $100 a day.

Which passenger is "stealing revenue"?

Looks like passenger A is costing them the most.

The policy is CLEARLY published on Royal's website. The first, last, and best answer to these questions is to simply give someone the policy.

You also left out passenger D; brings their own soda and water and purchases none onboard.

Justifying theft is still theft no matter how you spin it.

The policy is CLEARLY published on Royal's website. The first, last, and best answer to these questions is to simply give someone the policy.

You also left out passenger D; brings their own soda and water and purchases none onboard.

"JUSTIFIED THEFT" a term I have never heard before in my many, many years of being involved with the law. LMaxwell, are you stating that if a passenger brings onboard a 12 pack of water, he/she is committing theft? By that standard, anyone who washes out their dirty drawers in the bathroom sink instead of using the ships laundry service is also a thief. Your logic is that once onboard a passenger should just hand over their wallet and be done with it. Maybe you can afford to buy a new wallet each cruise but this guy ain't gonna.

"JUSTIFIED THEFT" a term I have never heard before in my many, many years of being involved with the law. LMaxwell, are you stating that if a passenger brings onboard a 12 pack of water, he/she is committing theft? By that standard, anyone who washes out their dirty drawers in the bathroom sink instead of using the ships laundry service is also a thief. Your logic is that once onboard a passenger should just hand over their wallet and be done with it. Maybe you can afford to buy a new wallet each cruise but this guy ain't gonna.

Royal doesn't care what you wash in the sink. They do care what you bring onboard and soft drinks, water, and alcohol is prohibited.

What you claim is my logic isn't what I said at all. I said here is Royals policy. Breaking the policy is theft. Simple.

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/customersupport/faq/details.do?pagename=frequently_asked_questions&faqId=260&faqSubjectId=333

Now go ahead and keep justifying petty theft because if you can't afford bottled water, and the meager gratuity that supports the crew, you have no business on a cruise ship at all.

Edited by LMaxwell

Royal doesn't care what you wash in the sink. They do care what you bring onboard and soft drinks, water, and alcohol is prohibited.

What you claim is my logic isn't what I said at all. I said here is Royals policy. Breaking the policy is theft. Simple.

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/customersupport/faq/details.do?pagename=frequently_asked_questions&faqId=260&faqSubjectId=333

Now go ahead and keep justifying petty theft because if you can't afford bottled water, and the meager gratuity that supports the crew, you have no business on a cruise ship at all.

First let me direct you to my signature and you will see that I can most assuredly "afford" to cruise. Not sure where your statement concerning gratuities is coming from as we always pay the gratuities including those charged when ordering a drink. And once again you have stated that not following the policy "is theft". Your comments are not only condescending but illogical and you should consider an apology for declaring your fellow cruises to be "thieves" because they brought their Dr. Pepper onboard.

First let me direct you to my signature and you will see that I can most assuredly "afford" to cruise. Not sure where your statement concerning gratuities is coming from as we always pay the gratuities including those charged when ordering a drink. And once again you have stated that not following the policy "is theft". Your comments are not only condescending but illogical and you should consider an apology for declaring your fellow cruises to be "thieves" because they brought their Dr. Pepper onboard.

The policy clearly states what is permissible. Did you take a minute to read it or not? I am guessing you did not.

If you want to break the policy so you can have some soda go ahead but you won't get any apology from me.

My comments only point to the policy. They are not condescending or illogical. if you have a gripe with the policy take it up with royal. I didn't make the policy and I don't come on cruise critic to help people justify breaking or avoiding policy. Use your time wisely to tell Royal you don't like their policy and want it changed. Start with Mbayley@rccl.com

The policy clearly states what is permissible. Did you take a minute to read it or not? I am guessing you did not.

If you want to break the policy so you can have some soda go ahead but you won't get any apology from me.

My comments only point to the policy. They are not condescending or illogical. if you have a gripe with the policy take it up with royal. I didn't make the policy and I don't come on cruise critic to help people justify breaking or avoiding policy. Use your time wisely to tell Royal you don't like their policy and want it changed. Start with Mbayley@rccl.com

My issue has not been with you pointing out the policy; I've read it, understand it and have no problem with it; the issue is that YOU have determined that those that do not follow the policy are "THIEVES". You do everyone a good service by pointing out the policy but, when you decided to declare violators to be "thieves" you have become condescending and illogical. As for the email to Royal, I have had the pleasure of corresponding with Mr. Bayley several times and he is a very nice person as is his Executive Secretary.

My issue has not been with you pointing out the policy; I've read it, understand it and have no problem with it; the issue is that YOU have determined that those that do not follow the policy are "THIEVES". You do everyone a good service by pointing out the policy but, when you decided to declare violators to be "thieves" you have become condescending and illogical. As for the email to Royal, I have had the pleasure of corresponding with Mr. Bayley several times and he is a very nice person as is his Executive Secretary.

From now on I will refer to policy violators as policy violators instead of thieves.

But don't come on a public website, declare that you will ignore a policy, get upset when you get called out on it, and act as if you are entitled to some sort of apology. If you're going to be a policy violator perhaps you are better served keeping it quiet or spending your time trying to get it changed (since you seem to have an issue with not being allowed to bring on soft drinks which contradicts your statement of having "no problem" with the policy; since you plan to not abide by the policy.)

From now on I will refer to policy violators as policy violators instead of thieves.

But don't come on a public website, declare that you will ignore a policy, get upset when you get called out on it, and act as if you are entitled to some sort of apology. If you're going to be a policy violator perhaps you are better served keeping it quiet or spending your time trying to get it changed (since you seem to have an issue with not being allowed to bring on soft drinks which contradicts your statement of having "no problem" with the policy; since you plan to not abide by the policy.)

First, I've never said that I would violate any policy. I mentioned that I would not just hand over my wallet. Second, your choice of "policy violators" is adequate and much better than your previous terminology. I can tell you that I have always followed all policies regarding bringing alcohol and or water/soda ;) ;) I would not condemn anyone for choosing to follow or not follow the policy.

All I have to say is I will attempt to bring bottled water aboard, it will not change the amount of money that RC will get from me because I do not like the brand of water that they sell so there is no way I will buy one weather or not my case of water makes it to my cabin. And yes I was slightly offended by the "thieves" comments. My reasons for bringing on the water are different than someone who is trying to get out of paying for water! That is all.

I hate to break it to you, but bottled water is pretty much all the same. :rolleyes:

I have found that there can be a slight difference in taste depending on the brand and the "natural flavorings" that are added to the water.

Well, I'd tell you, but then I would have to go into the Witness Protection Program ... some people on here go WILD when you talk about smuggling liquor on board in your checked luggage in Rum Runner flasks (google it for the website).

They hate that ... and call you all sorts of bad names.

But those same people will tell you it is okay to smuggle on other drinks as long as they aren't alcohol. I guess they think smuggling is only wrong when you are smuggling something they don't like!!!! Smuggling is smuggling just as stealing is stealing so I don't know where they get off on their name calling and other hateful comments.

Edited by Clipper123

So, if I decide to not buy any drinks because the prices are too high, I am stealing?

No, it is totally up to you whether you buy drinks or not just as it is totally up to you whether you wish to cruise on a cruise line that you think charges too much for a drink.

I did not say smuggling was the same as stealing but that smuggling of alcohol is the same as smuggling of soda just as stealing is stealing regardless of what has been stolen. These people think smuggling soda is okay but smuggling alcohol is not.

Stealing: To take (the property of another or others) without permission or right.

Smuggling: The illegal transportation of objects.

I really don't care whether people choose to smuggle on alcohol or soda - I'm just very frustrated with these people who say that people who smuggle on alcohol are terrible, cheating imbeciles who should be thrown overboard because they are doing something so immoral and yet in the next post these same people say it is okay to smuggle on soda or water or juice :rolleyes:

Edited by Clipper123

I'm just very frustrated with these people who say that people who smuggle on alcohol are terrible, cheating imbeciles who should be thrown overboard because they are doing something so immoral and yet in the next post these same people say it is okay to smuggle on soda or water or juice :rolleyes:

Agreed.

No, it is totally up to you whether you buy drinks or not just as it is totally up to you whether you wish to cruise on a cruise line that you think charges too much for a drink.

I did not say smuggling was the same as stealing but that smuggling of alcohol is the same as smuggling of soda just as stealing is stealing regardless of what has been stolen. These people think smuggling soda is okay but smuggling alcohol is not.

Stealing: To take (the property of another or others) without permission or right.

Smuggling: The illegal transportation of objects.

I really don't care whether people choose to smuggle on alcohol or soda - I'm just very frustrated with these people who say that people who smuggle on alcohol are terrible, cheating imbeciles who should be thrown overboard because they are doing something so immoral and yet in the next post these same people say it is okay to smuggle on soda or water or juice :rolleyes:

Agreed.

I agree that you shouldn't break the rules however, it has been posted by many that they have just simply walked up to the security carrying a 12 pack of soda and or water and have been allowed through; gone through check in without a problem and right onboard the ship. So, are those people smuggling also?

The policy is published on their site but it is not clear. In one place it says that water and soft drink are prohibited but just below it says "Security may inspect containers (water bottles, soda bottles, mouthwash, luggage etc.) and will dispose of containers holding alcohol." To me that is a discrepancy.

The last time I sailed on RCCL, we carried Dr. Peppers in our carry on and also bought the soda package on board. I like to have the small bottles of Dr. Peppers in the cabin to drink when we are in the cabin and don't want to leave.

We don't drink alcohol so that is not an issue.

The policy is published on their site but it is not clear. In one place it says that water and soft drink are prohibited but just below it says "Security may inspect containers (water bottles, soda bottles, mouthwash, luggage etc.) and will dispose of containers holding alcohol." To me that is a discrepancy.

The last time I sailed on RCCL, we carried Dr. Peppers in our carry on and also bought the soda package on board. I like to have the small bottles of Dr. Peppers in the cabin to drink when we are in the cabin and don't want to leave.

We don't drink alcohol so that is not an issue.

You know what? I looked at the guest contract which supercedes any website FAQ as far as I would be concerned....and lo and behold it is just unclear as the FAQ. So while I believe the policy does not allow water and soft drinks I do realize someone could take a position that they would be and make a fair argument. Maybe.

....We don't drink alcohol so that is not an issue.

Since you do not drink alcohol, you are taking away the same amount of revenue from the cruiseline as someone that normally does and opts not to, or brings their own. Either way, the cruise line is not getting that money.

Okay, a bit of a stretch, but worth thinking about.

(I am not referring back to any particular poster)

Since you do not drink alcohol, you are taking away the same amount of revenue from the cruiseline as someone that normally does and opts not to, or brings their own. Either way, the cruise line is not getting that money.

Okay, a bit of a stretch, but worth thinking about.

(I am not referring back to any particular poster)

Hahahaha.... DING! Best post yet .... that's brilliant! :D