Monkey bite on excursion

drenee73

I feel like I need to post a PSA for all parents.

If you are on a ship excursion and you encounter wild or pet animals, like monkeys or raccoons, do NOT let your kids play with them.

We were recently in Panama on a cruise excursion and our 4 yr old got bit by a pet monkey.

Long story short - records were questionable, monkey couldn't be monitored for symptoms, daughter is almost done with the extensive rabies post-exposure shot series to ensure she doesn't develop an active rabies infection.

RABIES = DEATH

It's just not worth it.

Avoid contact or ensure any animals to be encountered are legitimate and have the right vaccinations and health records.

I'm happy to share more details, but as a PSA - just really think about it. I never did. And let's face it - it's hard to keep a 4 yr old away from a pet capuchin monkey that all the other people are playing with.

OMG...that's awful! After so many stories about "pet" monkeys attacking their owners...tearing off their faces, hands, etc....I can't imagine ANYONE getting near those things! They are wild....and because they do have brains, they get angry easily....just like we do!

You are very lucky that she only has to endure the rabies shots...and not a prosthetic limb or have horrible facial scarring from an attack!

Who's "pet" was it, anyway?

Totally. I have a fear/phobia of monkeys. They look so adorable but have very sharp teeth. Heard of too many incidents involving pet or supposedly tame animals biting. Maybe they are good little animals but feel threatened or maybe tired of being played with and instinctively show they are upset by biting. I don't want to take a chance. Thank you for warning other parents.

Thank you for taking the time. For me, it's like the diapers in the pool - I don't care who else is doing it, my kids will be told ahead of time that they won't even if they see other kids getting to. I hate anyway that the wild animals are being used for tourists.

Appreciate the heads up. Hopefully the cruise line will eliminate that from any offerings.

OMG that is awful!

I'm lucky to have two kids who would not want to go anywhere near a monkey, dog, cat or any other wild or domestic animal.

That you apply your feelings to dogs as when children learn to respect feelings of animals and love it makes for a caring compassionate adult.

That you apply your feelings to dogs as when children learn to respect feelings of animals and love it makes for a caring compassionate adult.

Not sure what you are trying to say here? Both of my kids were scared of animals as kids, and although they have outgrown their fear which bordered on phobia, they are not running out to embrace any animals, domestic or otherwise.

We just came back again if you teach your children to repect the animals not taunt them or feed them it was fun watching their silly antics. Yes some children did run up and feed them I would not they are wild animals!

I was thinking of taking my son to the monkey Forrest in Bali might reconsider. He is likely to think the monkey is as nice as his tonkinese cat & try and cuddle it.

Macaques can carry herpesvirus B, which is transmissible to humans and can be fatal. Probably better to stay away, especially if you're concerned that your child might want to pet the monkeys.

The pet monkey belonged to someone in a native Indian village. It was tethered and unsupervised by a handler or anything.

Esilef: The monkeys in the forest in Bali are known to be aggressive and frequently bite visitors (adult and kids). The local clinic at the forest says they are all vaccinated, but local medical resources say "BS" and vaccinate anyone bitten.

Herpes B is one concern, as is rabies. Although rare in both cases, it's just not worth it to me.

We're done with shots as of Friday. DD still has bruises from the first shots on 3 Apr to go with all the newer ones. It's not a pretty series.

This is sad. Children need to learn a respect for animals and a knowledge of how to behave around them. Domesticated pets are a lot safer, particularly when their "owner" is with them. They know the demeanour of the relevant animal. Children need teaching of what the animal is communicating with one. A smiling dog which is purring is actually growling and threatening to bite by snarling. Some children would be oblivious of this type of thinking.

Regards John.