Star - Please post accurate information about the azipod problem

NCruiser2012

Glad to see NCL Corporate in Miami listened to Captain Konstantinos Fafalios when he said something was not right with the azipod. Safety over revenue is the right priority in the industry. This event will cost the corporate bottom line millions of dollars. No wonder alternative revenue streams are being developed.

For those you of you wondering, 'what is an AZIPOD?'...

qm2pods4.jpg

Underneath the NCL Epic

It's not the Epic. Epic has traditional propulsion NOT Azipods.

I am on the cruise to Copenhagen on the 27th so I have been searching for any and all information I can find to make an informed decision before leaving Australia. I, like many of you, are disappointed with NCL's lack of information to those of us especially that have to travel half way around the world to meet their ships. I am ex Royal Australian Navy so I do have some experience with ships and the problems that develop.

As others have said, Star had virtually a complete azipod overhaul and upgrade during the recent dry-docking and NCL came straight out naming ABB and it's units as the problem, so we have to assume that the problem is related to work done by them.

The ship is also still able to transit at speeds greater that 16 knots which I believe would be the top speed if one azipod was totally unserviceable. Others have also stated that the wake appears to be almost normal.

If the ship was safe enough to continue the Mexican Riviera cruises and not the Panama Canal cruise then it can be assumed that the issue may be one of manoeuvring rather than propulsion with just one of the azipod units.

I have done a Panama Canal transit and ships are required to manoeuvre themselves, forward through the locks and through the various lakes. I personally believe that one of the Azipod units has a rotation problem therefore limiting but not stopping the ship from manoeuvring/steering in tight situations, such as the canal. Most likely NCL chose not to risk passengers being on board a ship where there is even a slightest risk of a problem occurring.

NCL has released the dates of 21st to 26th that the ship will be in dry dock and this will most likely occur in the Bahamas, a dry dock that is very familiar with cruise ships and their propulsion units. As others have said it is then only a quick 12 hour steam to Miami to then start the Transatlantic cruise on the 27th.

Some time today I expect that the ship will leave Los Angeles and transit south to the canal. She is still on the books for a transit on the 22nd but I would think this has been cancelled and she will transit sometime between the 16th and 18th depending on a slot available. Barring any incident while transiting and a problem in the Bahamas I would think she will make her April 27th sailing date and NCL seem just as confident.

Again, this is my own opinion, but it all appears to make sense on available information.

Glad to see NCL Corporate in Miami listened to Captain Konstantinos Fafalios when he said something was not right with the azipod. Safety over revenue is the right priority in the industry. This event will cost the corporate bottom line millions of dollars. No wonder alternative revenue streams are being developed.

For those you of you wondering, 'what is an AZIPOD?'...

qm2pods4.jpg

Underneath the NCL Epic

That photo appears to be from the Queen Mary Cruises page, and is labeled QM2 propulsion fixed pods.

The two at the stern are 360° azimuthing pods (azimuth thrusters). Often called “Azipods”, not these two fixed pods, again, on the Queen Mary.

gary

We heard from someone on board who knows...one of the azipods was not reassembled as it should have been when they were in Portland...evidence of the rushed job to get her out...to supposedly show what they could do.

That being said, they are "scurrying" to the Bahamas ASAP to have that azipod disassembled and fixed...with the other one being thoroughly evaluated before the TA voyage. Apparently about 12-14 days in the Bahamas to get it right...with a ton of NCL engineers and consultants form the design companies to be there to supervise every step this time.

Too bad for Vigor shipyards...valiant effort but maybe mistakes can happen when rushing...lesson learned.

I'm off the Star today. I confirm what zootnarf said, that Hugo, the Hotel Director, said they needed to fix an azipod. The second officer on the bridge tour confirmed that in passing. They are onloading contractors today and heading straight to Freetown to drydock and fix the azipod before crossing the Atlantic. Hugo confirmed that the PC cruise was cancelled, but didn't say anything about the TA being cancelled or delayed.

The only thing I would say anecdotally is that our top cruising speed seemed to be around 19 knots instead of 20 or 21 knots as I have seen before on occasion.

He also said that they would be completing some of the rehab work that didn't get finished three weeks ago due to the port slowdown on the West Coast, for example, the furniture for O'Sheehans was a mix and match of old and new. Otherwise, the Star looked good.

That photo appears to be from the Queen Mary Cruises page, and is labeled QM2 propulsion fixed pods.

The two at the stern are 360° azimuthing pods (azimuth thrusters). Often called “Azipods”, not these two fixed pods, again, on the Queen Mary.

gary

All Azipods I have seen have the same basic appearance, so it is not important which ship is pictured. It shows those who don't know what they look like what we are talking about.

What I quoted indicates that the pictured devices are not azipods, as they are fixed.

Azipods need to be able to rotate direction.

gary

Thanks for the correction on the image. I was going to post this one originally, but I wanted a person in the photo to give it better scale. Not sure what ship these are on, but it is an ABB system.

header-image-azipod-c.jpg?sfvrsn=1

First, "Azipod" is a brand name specific to ABB. The system is generically referred to as pod propulsion. Queen Mary 2 uses Rolls-Royce "Mermaid" pods, so the Azipod brand is inapt. Except for Pride of America, which uses two 12.5 MW Rolls-Royce Mermaid pods, the podded ship classes in NCL's fleet (Dawn/Jewel/Breakaway) use 17.5/19.5 MW ABB Azipods.

Second, the two pods in the foreground of the Queen Mary 2 photo do rotate 360˚. The two pods just visible in the background are fixed. All four 21 MW units are identical in terms of exterior appearance, since the hydraulic steering systems that rotate the two aft units are located out of sight within the ship's hull.

Third, the specific appearance of particular pods can vary greatly by make, model, year, etc.

Hi All,

I booked the NCL Panama Cruise for my parents (independently - ie flights, hotels and cruise all booked by me).

Hope someone can help.

I am posting thus on behalf of my parents who flew from the UK on a 16 hrs flight to LA to board the NCL Panama Canal month cruise for the holiday of a lifetime, only to be told on arrival at the port that the cruise is cancelled!!

They are in there mid 70's and devastated.

At the minute they have no idea what is happening and are very upset.

Does anyone have any information of what NCL's responsibilitys are?

ie will compensation be paid for the flights they have paid for and the Hotels in LA and Copenhagen?

Will they provide alternative cruise options and flights back to UK?

Any info will be a big help as they are getting no assistance from NCL at the minute.

Thanks in anticipation

Hi All,

I booked the NCL Panama Cruise for my parents (independently - ie flights, hotels and cruise all booked by me).

Hope someone can help.

I am posting thus on behalf of my parents who flew from the UK on a 16 hrs flight to LA to board the NCL Panama Canal month cruise for the holiday of a lifetime, only to be told on arrival at the port that the cruise is cancelled!!

ie will compensation be paid for the flights they have paid for and the Hotels in LA and Copenhagen?

Any info will be a big help as they are getting no assistance from NCL at the minute.

Thanks in anticipation

How awful for your parents. Here is a link and a copy of an email that another cruiser on your parent's April 12 cruise received. You should call the hotline phone number. How convenient that this hotline is only open M-F. On the link to the roll call others talk about what monies they got back.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1989253&page=46

Here is the email someone posted:

Dear Valued Guests & Travel Partners:

Norwegian Cruise Line has important information for you regarding Norwegian Star's 15-Day Panama Canal sailing from Los Angeles scheduled to depart on April 12, 2015. Travel partners are asked to forward this information to their guests.Because of a technical issue with Norwegian Star's ABB-manufactured azipod propulsion system this sailing has been cancelled. The ship will be out of service from April 12 to 26 to repair the azipod. Norwegian Cruise Line sincerely apologizes for any inconvenience caused by this cancellation and would like to thank you for your understanding.

All guests who are currently booked will receive a full refund of the cruise, as well as a 50% future cruise credit. Norwegian will also cover air and hotel change fees associated with this cancellation. A dedicated support line is available to provide assistance with questions and arrangements. Please call (877) 461-1160 from 8:30 am to 5:00 pm ET Monday through Friday. We thank you for choosing Norwegian Cruise Line and we look forward to welcoming you and your guests aboard on a future cruise.

Sincerely,Vivian EwartVice President, Passenger Services

I'm off the Star today. I confirm what zootnarf said, that Hugo, the Hotel Director, said they needed to fix an azipod. The second officer on the bridge tour confirmed that in passing. They are onloading contractors today and heading straight to Freetown to drydock and fix the azipod before crossing the Atlantic. Hugo confirmed that the PC cruise was cancelled, but didn't say anything about the TA being cancelled or delayed.

The only thing I would say anecdotally is that our top cruising speed seemed to be around 19 knots instead of 20 or 21 knots as I have seen before on occasion.

He also said that they would be completing some of the rehab work that didn't get finished three weeks ago due to the port slowdown on the West Coast, for example, the furniture for O'Sheehans was a mix and match of old and new. Otherwise, the Star looked good.

Hey Guys..

Its been a while....Thanks for the Star update, we'll be on her in May for the Baltic Capitals cruise. Fingers crossed..;). Hope Hugo will still be there..

Hi All,

Hope someone can help.

Thanks in anticipation

Where did you book the cruise? makes a big difference.

option might be to get them to Florida and on a TA back to the uk/eu.

At least they get a cruise. There are a load of cheap TAs.

If you booked them on the cruise that went from LA through the canal and the TA to Copenhagen - they should be able to embark in Miami and do the TA to Copenhagen - Whoever booked the trip - TA or through NCL direct needs to work with NCL on this.

It might even be possible to add the 15 day Baltic capitals RT out of Copenhagen - unless it is sold out.

NCL sold at least three itineraries for this cruise:

15 day Panama Canal - LA to Miami

30 day Panama Canal TA to Copenhagen

45 day Panama Canal TA to Copenhagen and Baltic capitals

There were also the Miami to Copenhagen TA and the same with the Baltic capitals RT.

The NCL STAR is presently enroute to Freeport in the Bahamas for Azipod

maintenance (repairs ?)

Present location is off the Mexican Baja coast just north of Cabo and proceeding

directly to Freeport Bahamas with NO intermediate stops !

NORWEGIAN STAR

Ship Type:

Passengers Ship

Length × Breadth:

294.13m × 32.2m

Draught:

8.6m

Underway

Speed/Course:

20.2kn / 138°

Destination:

FREEPORT

ETA:

2015-04-22 16:00 (UTC)

She is making great cruise time cruising at 20+ knots considering what maintenance

or repairs will be required to the Azipod(s)

NCL is anticipating that the TA cruise 4/27 will operate on schedule !

Not sure if this top speed was related to the azipods, or that the distances don't require cruising any faster than that. We were on that cruise on the second cruise after dry dock, and at 19 knots we arrived early at every port. So maybe it's just a good cruising speed for the ship. (Best fuel consumption, etc.)

We are 2 couples from Australia who were booked on the norwegian star on 12 April from Los Angeles for the 46 days to Copenhagen via the Baltic and Norwegian Fiords . We had already arrived in US A when we were told of the cancellation We tried contacting the cancellation hotline and were getting some answers until the person we were talking to referred the matter to his superiors at which point we were abruptly told they could not deal with us and we had to deal with our travel agent in Australia . Great Who is paying the $1000s of dollars in phone bills for such dealing ? Our Tavel agent did manage to get us on the Serenade of the Seas cruising out of New Orleans through the Caribbean to Boston to fill in the time . We are severely out of pocket with all the extra flights and accommodation . Who will pick up these costs ? Both NCL and our travel agent were just keen for us to cancel everything but seeing we were in USA this didn't seem a choice. When will we definitely know that Star is sailing from Miami ? Don't feel we can trust NC L at this stage until the full problem is investigated in dry dock. Nobody seems to be able to tell us when we will get a refund and compensation for this cancellation and flow on costs. Has anyone any answers from NC L as yet ? Malvern Cruiser

We are 2 couples from Australia who were booked on the norwegian star on 12 April from Los Angeles for the 46 days to Copenhagen via the Baltic and Norwegian Fiords . We had already arrived in USA when we were told of the cancellation. We tried contacting the cancellation hotline and were told we had to deal with our travel agent in Australia.

We are severely out of pocket with all the extra flights and accommodation. Who will pick up these costs ? Nobody seems to be able to tell us when we will get a refund and compensation for this cancellation and flow on costs. Has anyone any answers from NCL as yet ? Malvern Cruiser

What a nightmare. This thread from the 4/12 roll call has information about people already receiving refunds for the cancelled cruise.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1989253&page=52

Your travel agent is the one who needs to track down the refund with NCL. Since she did the booking, all dealings are between her and NCL. Re: all your extra costs, email your travel agent and have her find out what claim forms are necessary and what costs your travel insurance covers in terms of flights, hotels, etc. since you will be traveling for the next month, ask her to file the forms for you to get things moving.

Enjoy your cruise to Boston and we looking forward to meeting you on the Baltics cruise!

It looks like Star has a booking for 05:00GMT in the 19th through the canal. That, if my maths is correct would be roughly 9pm on the west coast of America on the 18th or 14:00 on the 19th here on the east coast in Australia.

Her present course and speed will get her there on time.

It looks like Star has a booking for 05:00GMT in the 19th through the canal. That, if my maths is correct would be roughly 9pm on the west coast of America on the 18th or 14:00 on the 19th here on the east coast in Australia.

Her present course and speed will get her there on time.

That is 4 days from now. Then add a day or two to get to the Bahamas. That doesn't leave much time to be in dry dock and get the problem fixed before heading to Miami.