Viking Star photos

CrusinSubMan

Thank you for posting! It is completely different seeing the real deal from passengers! We have the same category of cabin and I have to say it looks to be way more than I expected in a very positive way. How is the balcony? Bathroom space? The 'blue picture' looks sooo cold! The pool with water in it now looks really inviting.....all of it I can't wait to see in Barcelona! Really appreciate you sharing these!

Wonderful photos and so excited for you firsties!

One question.....is the spa free to use....snow grotto.....saunas and the such?

Yep the spa and gym etc are all free to use. They are very nice. Saunas, cold water pool big warm water soaking area and a jacuzzi and the ice room. Plus a decent assortment of running machines, resistance machine and some dumbbells in the gym.

A bit of a disappointment is that it is only open from 8 to 8. Seems to me it could be available both earlier and later. There is a running track outside on deck two where four laps equal a mile though which will probably help me deal with those mornings when I want to run before I eat.

Thank you for posting! It is completely different seeing the real deal from passengers! We have the same category of cabin and I have to say it looks to be way more than I expected in a very positive way. How is the balcony? Bathroom space? The 'blue picture' looks sooo cold! The pool with water in it now looks really inviting.....all of it I can't wait to see in Barcelona! Really appreciate you sharing these!

The Penthouse Veranda room is nice and pretty much what I expected. Lots of room. Not enough hangers even with the ones we brought, but that arises every time.

Veranda is nice. Door is on one side and a window on the other with a structural piece running floor to ceiling down the middle. Veranda is very deep though, so you can sit back against the wall and be pretty shielded from the wind.

Bathroom is pretty good. Heated floor! His and her drawers and cabinet shelves.Shower. Nice shower stuff.

We managed to fit all of our clothes into drawers etc.

Many thanks for the photos, what's your first impression of the ship? does it meet your expectations?

Good question. First impression is that it feels very nice and comfortable. We are happy to be here.

Very class. There are spaces everywhere to sit, read etc.

People are getting dinner reservations tonight in both reservation restaurants which is nice to see also (they had promised there would be such available everyday).

All we had so far for food was some late lunch on the pool deck and it was very nice food.

There are some glitches.

Right now the television system does not work at all. You can go the main screens but it cannot call up tv, movies, your account or even let you connect a device to listen music. Or maybe that is just our tv:)

One of the drawers in our closet was not sliding and I realized it was not put in right and fixed it.

"Checking in" was odd:

1) No lines which was nice. Lots of folks are not here yet though.

2) We were told to go to reception on board but once we went there the lady told us that we were already checked in (which we did in the building on the pier. Our room key/ ships cards were in our room. So essentially she was telling us we did not need to go there. But also no ships maps or anything. But it seems small enough to get used to quickly. Not like being on a massive ship where you need a map and a compass :)

Great first photos John! Is that a Yeti in the Snow Cave? Which restaurant is that in your first look photos?

No Yeti (but he might be in there).

Its the Chef's Table and the Kitchen Table room (where someone is going to have a Birthday dinner!!!). I forgot to take pictures in Manfredi's but it looks like a nice Italian Restaurant should look.

No Yeti (but he might be in there).

Its the Chef's Table and the Kitchen Table room (where someone is going to have a Birthday dinner!!!). I forgot to take pictures in Manfredi's but it looks like a nice Italian Restaurant should look.

Thanks John!!!! I've been waiting for a view of the location where the main event for me will be. Just 4 weeks from tonight!

And we are also in a Penthouse Veranda. Your pictures are illuminating much of what I was imagining to this point. I am not disappointed, quite the opposite.

Enjoy exploration and photo documentation adventure of the Star!

Thank you John for posting the great pictures. The interiors look very modern, comfortable. Love the Scandinavian candle holder on the table in one of the shots.:)

I was hoping one of the first explorers on this maidne vovage would be blogging on Word Press. I have enjoyed your reflections on the beginnings and preparation for this world tour of Europe.

Cheers to you, Angie and all those on board the Viking Star.

This all sounds really positive. That is what we were all hoping for after this long wait!

John, is there an electrical outlet next to the head of bed for those who use CPAP machines during the night? Wondering if my DH needs to bring an extension cord.

This all sounds really positive. That is what we were all hoping for after this long wait!

John, is there an electrical outlet next to the head of bed for those who use CPAP machines during the night? Wondering if my DH needs to bring an extension cord.

There is a dual plug (1 side is 1 euro outlet and the other is US outlet) low on the wall on each side of the bed.

There is no clock or alarm clock in the room, but I guess everyone today uses their phones/ devices.

I noticed an annoying electrical thing tonight though. The room essentially toggled between dim and bright and the desk light is on the same circuit as the bright overhead and corner light so when the room is the dim condition the desk is almost dark. I am going to want an extension cord to move that desk light over to one of the other receptacles above the desk so I can manually turn it on or off independent from the main room lights. But its a euro plug and that side of the desk only has one euro plug (and no US plugs) so I am already using it via an adapter for laptops etc. An extension cord would allow it to reach to the other side of the desk. But you would want a Euro extension cord or else you would need two! adapters just to plug the light in. Or I could just move the desk lamp to the other side. That might be the easy solution. :)

Thanks for the pictures. I read the comments first and am now going to the pictures. If you could manage to photograph a deluxe veranda cabin, that would be fantastic! I think one of the Roll Call people is in 3023, which I think is a DV. We're in 3024 this fall, so any thing close will do! Of course, if nobody wants to have their room photographed, or you don't have time to do that, I will certainly understand!

It sounds like a really nice environment. It's interesting to hear people comment about a new ship, as everyone's experience (river ship, big ocean liner, small ocean liner) is so different, and it's so easy to compare what you're familiar with to what you have now!

I could tell the infinity pool was small when I saw the pictures from Dubrovnik. That's OK, I seldom use pools anyway! It's a first for me, though, so I plan to check it out at least once. Likewise the heated bathroom floors and the 360 deck.

Anyway, thanks for taking the time to photograph and post, and enjoy your cruise!

Thanks. Will take a look! I generally don't care that much about what the room looks like, but of course now I'm curious as it's a new ship. I see everyone is now on the long haul to Kusadasi, after one last look at the minarets and domes of the Blue Mosque from the ship. Glad to start hearing more positive things, as it sounds like a very discriminating group - or at least the most verbal CC posters! I hope everyone has a wonderful time. We've certainly waited long enough!

We just had a wonderful Meet & Greet in the Explorer's Lounge. Viking did a really nice job! Several Viking Execs were there, and spoke to us. It lasted about an hour and a half - everyone was having such a great time meeting each other in person, although we have to ask each other what our CC handles are, as that's how we know one another. It was great to finally put faces to handles so to speak.

We did make one very important decision - we are going to post our experiences on one thread, and we're (arbitrarily) choosing "On Board the Star" on the regular "Cruise Lines" forum --> "Cruise Lines P to Z" sub forum --> and then "Viking Oceans" forum. Under there is the thread "on Board the Star" so that's where those of us onboard will be posting from now on, so check there for updates! We won't be using the thread under Roll Calls.

Thanks everyone!

We just had a wonderful Meet & Greet in the Explorer's Lounge. Viking did a really nice job! Several Viking Execs were there, and spoke to us. It lasted about an hour and a half - everyone was having such a great time meeting each other in person, although we have to ask each other what our CC handles are, as that's how we know one another. It was great to finally put faces to handles so to speak.

We did make one very important decision - we are going to post our experiences on one thread, and we're (arbitrarily) choosing "On Board the Star" on the regular "Cruise Lines" forum --> "Cruise Lines P to Z" sub forum --> and then "Viking Oceans" forum. Under there is the thread "on Board the Star" so that's where those of us onboard will be posting from now on, so check there for updates! We won't be using the thread under Roll Calls.

Thanks everyone!

Thanks Elizabeth. What a great idea to have one thread where we armchair cruisers can read all your wonderful posts when posting on CC.

I always love the Meet and Greet and being able to put faces to monkers. Sounds like you all had a great time with each other and time with the Viking management .

Thanks Elizabeth, I hope everyone follows your advice. I have been going back and forth on the different headings and it will be nice to see all the info in one place. Looking forward to further reports.

Edited by bxny
spelling