On board The Star

kathy9

On one of the threads the washing machines were mentioned. My understanding is that you can only wash in hot water. Has this changed? Would appreciate an update if possible.

Thanks

TERRIER1 - Around 11 AM an announcement was made saying we would be delayed 30 minutes due to the rough seas during the night and we were told that any shore excursions leaving before 1:45 would be delayed and to wait for a further announcement. (We were supposed to dock at 12:30 originally but I'm not sure when we really did.) I fully understand that weather delays happen.

I was at lunch in the World Cafe on Deck 7 when the next announcement was made. Unfortunately the speakers above the tables weren't on but the speakers above the people in line for food were on. The Captain was in line and I decided to ask him to get them to re-announce it using all the speakers since no one eating heard it. He tried calling Explorers' Desk and the Cruise Director but neither phone call was answered. This doesn't have anything to do with the delay but it made me feel better (I guess??) to know that it's just not my calls that don't get answered, it's also the Captain's.

We ultimately learned that that announcement was only supposed to be made to Deck A. However, the next announcement was that if you were on tour X, you could go to the gangway. I would have preferred an announcement letting us know the new tour departure time, not just "go now" which gave people no prep time and was basically the same as having to sit around and wait. It's the Viking way.

On one of the threads the washing machines were mentioned. My understanding is that you can only wash in hot water. Has this changed? Would appreciate an update if possible.

Thanks

No it is still hot water on all cycles. I have reported this to so many people and so many times it is almost ridiculous. I have mostly given up on this one.

I used to repair washing machines and appliances and have examined this as much as I can without and tools. Each machine has a hot and cold water connection and I loosened the connections on the machine I can reach and could tell that the hot and cold both have pressure. I tried turning off the hot water to that same machine and ran it through a cycle. The machine essentially froze up and it had to be reset by a technician. That might suggest that the machines are just connected backwards, but I cannot quite reach far enough back to unscrew and reconnect them to test that. If it is not that then the machines themselves are the problem which is not very likely.

In any case our cotton clothes really are shrinking and delicates are getting cooked. The clothes are not just warm, but hot when the cycle ends.

TERRIER1 - Around 11 AM an announcement was made saying we would be delayed 30 minutes due to the rough seas during the night and we were told that any shore excursions leaving before 1:45 would be delayed and to wait for a further announcement. (We were supposed to dock at 12:30 originally but I'm not sure when we really did.) I fully understand that weather delays happen.

I was at lunch in the World Cafe on Deck 7 when the next announcement was made. Unfortunately the speakers above the tables weren't on but the speakers above the people in line for food were on. The Captain was in line and I decided to ask him to get them to re-announce it using all the speakers since no one eating heard it. He tried calling Explorers' Desk and the Cruise Director but neither phone call was answered. This doesn't have anything to do with the delay but it made me feel better (I guess??) to know that it's just not my calls that don't get answered, it's also the Captain's.

We ultimately learned that that announcement was only supposed to be made to Deck A. However, the next announcement was that if you were on tour X, you could go to the gangway. I would have preferred an announcement letting us know the new tour departure time, not just "go now" which gave people no prep time and was basically the same as having to sit around and wait. It's the Viking way.

It was a medical evac that further delayed clearance after we had docked.

I was in the crowded queue on Deck A at the gangway. We were all waiting for an ambulance crew to remove a guest in a stretcher. What was comical about the announcements is that the Cruise Director was telling us to leave Deck A and go back up to deck 1 but the VP of Ops (who was tending a bunch of VIPS who were in a rush to get off) gestured to us to just stay. So we just stayed and ignored the two announcements by the Cruise Director to leave Deck A.

Once the stretcher crew came on and then later left with the guest, they allowed us to start leaving.

The VP of Ops announced by speaking loudly that the ship could not get clearance until the medical evac was completed and that is why we were all waiting. He had made the announcement because a lot of the VIPs were saying things in Norwegian that sounded like angry frustration at why they could not leave. The VP also spoke in Norwegian and I am assuming he said the same thing as he had said in English.

I used the first machine on the 3rd floor and was able to choose cold water. Cold water is now available.

That is great news. I had gone through all the laundry rooms a while ago and they all had the same problem. Since, I have only been in and using the 4th Deck LR. As of three days ago it was still all hot. I will ask in there later today. Do you know if all three machines on Deck 3 now have cold water cycles that work, or just the first machine?

TERRIER1 - The Captain was in line and I decided to ask him to get them to re-announce it using all the speakers since no one eating heard it. He tried calling Explorers' Desk and the Cruise Director but neither phone call was answered. This doesn't have anything to do with the delay but it made me feel better (I guess??) to know that it's just not my calls that don't get answered, it's also the Captain's.

Classic poetic justice.:p

Makes me wonder how would a emergency be communicated.

Edited by TERRIER1

That is great news. I had gone through all the laundry rooms a while ago and they all had the same problem. Since, I have only been in and using the 4th Deck LR. As of three days ago it was still all hot. I will ask in there later today. Do you know if all three machines on Deck 3 now have cold water cycles that work, or just the first machine?

Thank you CruisinSubMan and jkerr. We will be traveling in Stockholm for a week before boarding so was hoping to take care of our laundry on the ship. Looks like deck three will be our go to laundry room. Any other updates would be appreciated. Cruise Critic is an awesome way to communicate. Seems like everyone can benefit from all who take the time to post.

Again, many thanks.

Classic poetic justice.:p

Makes me wonder how would a emergency be communicated.

Yes... (and I'm certain this isn't correct and that "abandon ship" announcements are made directly by the bridge), but I'm envisioning the captain trying to get through to the Explorer's Desk or communications to sound the order, only to find that nobody is answering the phones.

We did the included walking tour today and although it certainly wasn't a bad tour, this is a very accessible city and I think we could have seen more on our own. The ship docked us smack dab in the middle of town, literally steps from everything you'd want to see. Our tour was one of the later tours, and I wish we had gone out earlier on our own.

At the little port terminal, they hand out maps and a very great little booklet that has a walking tour description inside that goes into detail. If I had it to do over again I would have followed this.

We did see the modern Music Hall, the repurposed Electric Plant (spent way too much time inside here), the old town area with some quaint little streets, the Lutheran 'Cathedral' and the Monastery of the Holy Ghost. Did not have and time for shopping or free time as this was the last tour of the day and we had to get back for the "Concert".

Viking arranged for a Concert in the Music Hall that began with some modern young singers with smooth jazz I would call it. This was held in the Foyer as people gathered. (It was not well communicated when / how we were supposed to get there so we just walked there on our own which turned out to be the right thing to do, but the first time yet things have been done this way.) After this we were ushered into the ultra modern concert hall and given an organ recital on the new magnificent Grand Organ. Very impressive! Don't know if Viking will continue to offer this or not. Although there were a number of people there, given the numbers on this ship and that it was open to anyone who wanted to go, I would not say it was well attended, which is too bad as it was very worthwhile.

Copenhagen tomorrow.

We did the included walking tour today and although it certainly wasn't a bad tour, this is a very accessible city and I think we could have seen more on our own. The ship docked us smack dab in the middle of town, literally steps from everything you'd want to see. Our tour was one of the later tours, and I wish we had gone out earlier on our own.

At the little port terminal, they hand out maps and a very great little booklet that has a walking tour description inside that goes into detail. If I had it to do over again I would have followed this.

We did see the modern Music Hall, the repurposed Electric Plant (spent way too much time inside here), the old town area with some quaint little streets, the Lutheran 'Cathedral' and the Monastery of the Holy Ghost. Did not have and time for shopping or free time as this was the last tour of the day and we had to get back for the "Concert".

Viking arranged for a Concert in the Music Hall that began with some modern young singers with smooth jazz I would call it. This was held in the Foyer as people gathered. (It was not well communicated when / how we were supposed to get there so we just walked there on our own which turned out to be the right thing to do, but the first time yet things have been done this way.) After this we were ushered into the ultra modern concert hall and given an organ recital on the new magnificent Grand Organ. Very impressive! Don't know if Viking will continue to offer this or not. Although there were a number of people there, given the numbers on this ship and that it was open to anyone who wanted to go, I would not say it was well attended, which is too bad as it was very worthwhile.

Copenhagen tomorrow.

Thank you Elizabeth. I just signed up for the 8:15 am walking tour on our July 25th cruise. We are in Aalbourg only until noon. When we signed up for this cruise the original time was 1:30 pm departure. I don't want to be on a walking tour with 40 people. Does Viking divide up the groups to manageable numbers? What time do you think we should be off the ship to do the town on our own and get back in time? Thanks.

We are only doing the Norway in a Nutshell as a day's excursion since Viking cancelled our Norwegian Fjord sail to Flamm. So we don't have to worry about luggage - just a day pack. We don't disembark until Stockholm. I did not notice any cabs at the port terminal when we left on our walking tour this morning, but hopefully since it's an disembarkation day, there will be cabs there. Our train leaves at 8:43.

Why did Viking cancel Flam?

Flamm was cancelled in order to spend three full days in Bergen to accommodate the christening on Norway's Constitution Day, May 17. IMO that was an itinerary change that was made with no consideration for the paying passengers.

Group size - today was 13 people in our group but that was unusual. Largest group I've been in was 49 (way too big) and I'd say the average on most included tours has been 38 to 40. Popular optional tours have also been that size. Oddball optional tours have been smaller.

Which brings me to another flaw in the shore excursions (which to me have been much more of an issue than disinviting us for dinner) is the Viking tendency to send one group right after another in the same order so that one group piles on top of another. Unless you're in the first group that means you're all packed into confined spaces anyway, even if your group isn't too big. One of the worst examples of this was in Gibraltar. The included tour groups followed one another until we got to the cable car station to go up the Rock. We ended up waiting an hour in line in the sun behind our fellow traveller's in order to get on the cable car. It was so congested the busses couldn't turn around. Same thing happened on Santorini - the busses all went up the mountain one after another and then couldn't turn around. Some busses had to back down. Same thing in Split - all the walking tours did the same things in the same order. It was so crowded in the cellars of Diocletian's Palace, you could barely move. No fun! They could have easily sent groups in different directions so that they'd hit sights at different times. But then that would require Viking to be familiar with the tours which it's very clear they are not!

Which brings me to another flaw in the shore excursions (which to me have been much more of an issue than disinviting us for dinner) is the Viking tendency to send one group right after another in the same order so that one group piles on top of another. Unless you're in the first group that means you're all packed into confined spaces anyway, even if your group isn't too big. ...

Viking's not the only cruise line to do that. Regent does it as well with their included excursions, and the results often aren't pretty.

I tool the optional "Castles of Northern Zeeland" today and it was well worth it, but I have to confess I love castles. I struggled with this as I've never been to Copenhagen so experiencing this no doubt fabulous city was something had to give up in order to do this tour. It would be ideal for anyone who's already 'done' Copenhagen.

It's a 7 hour tour, but I wish it had been longer. We started with a one hour bus ride out of town, but it was quite scenic and for once both sides of the bus got something nice to look at as we took the coastal road north. Our first castle was Fredericksborg, built by Danish king Christian VI. This castle was quite ornate and looked a lot like the architecture of Amsterdam, but on a grand scale. We toured inside as well but did not have enough time to see everything or do it true justice. You could easily spend the whole day here. In addition there was a special exhibit of Queen Margaret's various gowns, from Christening through Wedding through current times. This is a temporary exhibit running for another 6 weeks.

We left just in time to drive to the current Queen's Summer Residence and see the Changing of the Guard, and since she was in residence, we got the whole thing with bands playing and soldiers in their tall bear fur hats. The Queen came out twice and waved. We only spent about 15 minutes there and then off to lunch at an old Danish Inn. We had 'typical' Danish buffet and it was pretty good - although pickled herring is probably not going to be one of my favorites, no matter what kind of sauce they pickle it in. The Inn was surrounded by thatched roof cottages, but I don't think most people noticed. We only spent about 45 minutes over lunch, so didn't feel like this was wasted time.

Then we were off to Kronsborg Castle. This is the castle that Shakespeare used as his model for Hamlet. Much older than our first castle. Instead of brick it is all clad in limestone. Inside is more bare, but had some gorgeous old tapestries that I would have liked to spend more time with.

Then a little less than an hour and we were back at the ship. I walked down to the Little Mermaid which was within sight of the ship. Another great day, but of course didn't see much of Copenhagen. Will just have to come back...

Smaller group today. Two busloads - our group was 28 and I think the other was about the same, maybe 30. Our guide was fabulous!

I tool the optional "Castles of Northern Zeeland" today and it was well worth it, but I have to confess I love castles. I struggled with this as I've never been to Copenhagen so experiencing this no doubt fabulous city was something had to give up in order to do this tour. It would be ideal for anyone who's already 'done' Copenhagen.

It's a 7 hour tour, but I wish it had been longer. We started with a one hour bus ride out of town, but it was quite scenic and for once both sides of the bus got something nice to look at as we took the coastal road north. Our first castle was Fredericksborg, built by Danish king Christian VI. This castle was quite ornate and looked a lot like the architecture of Amsterdam, but on a grand scale. We toured inside as well but did not have enough time to see everything or do it true justice. You could easily spend the whole day here. In addition there was a special exhibit of Queen Margaret's various gowns, from Christening through Wedding through current times. This is a temporary exhibit running for another 6 weeks.

We left just in time to drive to the current Queen's Summer Residence and see the Changing of the Guard, and since she was in residence, we got the whole thing with bands playing and soldiers in their tall bear fur hats. The Queen came out twice and waved. We only spent about 15 minutes there and then off to lunch at an old Danish Inn. We had 'typical' Danish buffet and it was pretty good - although pickled herring is probably not going to be one of my favorites, no matter what kind of sauce they pickle it in. The Inn was surrounded by thatched roof cottages, but I don't think most people noticed. We only spent about 45 minutes over lunch, so didn't feel like this was wasted time.

Then we were off to Kronsborg Castle. This is the castle that Shakespeare used as his model for Hamlet. Much older than our first castle. Instead of brick it is all clad in limestone. Inside is more bare, but had some gorgeous old tapestries that I would have liked to spend more time with.

Then a little less than an hour and we were back at the ship. I walked down to the Little Mermaid which was within sight of the ship. Another great day, but of course didn't see much of Copenhagen. Will just have to come back...

Smaller group today. Two busloads - our group was 28 and I think the other was about the same, maybe 30. Our guide was fabulous!

What time did you leave Copenhagen. My original schedule had us leaving at 22:00 and now we are leaving at 18:00. The port of Copenhagen says 22:00 so it is confusing. Thanks.