13hr drive for oasis or allure worth it?

Hi I was thinking about making the 13 hour drive from Texas to try the oasis or the allure and was just wondering if it's worth the drive. It will be my wife and 2 kids 8 and 2, we will also do disney or legoland before the cruise as well. This would also be first cruise on royal caribbean previous 2 with carnival. Thanks in advance any information and pointers would be helpful

You sold me with Disney and Legoland factored in.....like a good old family road trip!

But.....someone mentioned the 13 hour trip home after the cruise.....that sounded kind of sucky unless there is a plan in place the opposite way:o

The drive home is always the worst no matter how far. I would do it, but we used to love road trips from N.E. Ohio to New England and Canada and the east coast. Little kids make it more miserable no matter how far you go.

Hi I was thinking about making the 13 hour drive from Texas to try the oasis or the allure and was just wondering if it's worth the drive. It will be my wife and 2 kids 8 and 2, we will also do disney or legoland before the cruise as well. This would also be first cruise on royal caribbean previous 2 with carnival. Thanks in advance any information and pointers would be helpful

If you're planning on visiting Disney, maybe you could get a deal on a Disney cruise out of Port Canaveral to shorten your trip by about 3 hours each way.

WE don't cruise Disney regularly, so not sure if they have combination deals between the Park and the ships.:)

The Allure and Oasis are not to our liking, but we still think you should try them at least once, so an idea already mentioned about the Oasis at Port Canaveral in 2016.:)

We've been doing a 22-25 hour drive to Florida at least once per year every year for the past 10 years. Definitely worth it for us as flights for 4 are around $3000 as we travel at peak times. The drive down and back costs us less than $500. This allows us to travel every year and lately twice a year instead of less often.

If you're planning on visiting Disney, maybe you could get a deal on a Disney cruise out of Port Canaveral to shorten your trip by about 3 hours each way.

WE don't cruise Disney regularly, so not sure if they have combination deals between the Park and the ships.:)

The Allure and Oasis are not to our liking, but we still think you should try them at least once, so an idea already mentioned about the Oasis at Port Canaveral in 2016.:)

Go for the Freedom if she is still in port or a Disney package, PC, is easy access from Disney/Orlando/Universal which for me is a easy no brainer with a shorter drive. Of course I'm old and hate long drives LOL

We live near Port Canaveral and we have traveled to Galveston 3 times by car for the Voyager. Of course we did not pick up the "are we there yet" crowd until Baton Rouge, so it really wasn't too bad. By going to some of the attractions in Central Florida, it sounds like a plan!!

We are making a 17 hour drive to Harmony.... so I'd say yes! (and that's the only place we are going most likely due to $)

We are planning on breaking it into two days though and spending the night in TN (Cabin in the mountains hopefully!)

That being said, there are only two of us.... so not sure how bad it'd be with kids... but my husband LOVES driving.. he does it for a living. He could probably go 13-14 in a day if needed... we drove straight through to NOLA for a cruise once and it was about 12 hours... tiring but we did it!

Edited by beccaseraph7

Hehe, we will be traveling for 19 hours to get to Fort Lauderdale from Norway next february :) + spending the night at the airporthotel in Oslo the night before departure... But thankfully we are not traveling with our kids.

We drive to Florida all the time from Philadelphia (17 hours). Started when my son was 5 and daughter was 7. (4 trips under our belt and 1 more scheduled)

Plan an overnight stay halfway there at a place with a pool and portable DVD player ($30 at Walmart) and you are good to go.

You can afford to go anywhere if you drive.

You got my attention with this as I know it's a 13 hour drive from Lynchburg, VA to FLL. I said how can he make it that fast all the way from Texas? Google says it's a 15 hour drive from Orange Tx to FLL. No way I would do that with a 2 year old. I would just cruise out of Texas or New Orleans. Good luck with whatever you choose.

We dislike flying almost as much as 2 days driving (well, 4 days counting the return). But since you are doing other things in the area and not just driving to the ship, cruising, and driving home...I say go for it!

We can drive to Galveston and love cruising from there, but this holiday we are flying to Florida just so we can experience an Oasis class ship for the first time. We also like the Eastern itinerary much more than the ports we can get to from Galveston.

I've driven (well..ridden) from Chicago to Sarasota far more times than I can count as a kid, without an i-anything, laptop, movies, etc. I say go for it. It's part of get adventure. 13 hours is manageable in a day. I'd much rather get it all done at once rather than spread it over two days.

I have four kids and I didn't take them to disneyworld until the last kid was around 8, so everyone was w/out a stroller and could stand in line, etc. It was the best vacation. For me personally, I wouldn't drive that far and I know planes are expensive. Is Oasis worth it? YES, but I'd wait until it came to P.C., Fort Lauderdale is such a long long highway. We're from Tennessee and drove it. My brother came from Houston and he loved the Oasis. Even as adults, I hate leaving a cruiseship and dreading that long long drive home w/ nothing to look forward to. But, if you're the type of parent that is calm, doesn't get stressed, etc - go for it :)