The drink situation

IslandLife17

Are beverages included in the cost of cruises? I know this seems like an odd question, but when we took out last cruise (13 years ago:eek: ) I seem to recall things like soda and alcohol not being included. We sailed Royal Caribbean and I don't even remember if we could have brought our own beverages?

We are not huge soda drinkers, but occasionally like to have wine or beer (probably more so while on vacation:D )

I'm trying to factor in all costs so we aren't gobsmacked when its time to leave:)

Water from the faucet, tea, iced tea, coffee, sometimes lemonade are included. Sodas and alcohol cost extra. Most cruise lines allow you to bring on a limited amount of soda or bottled water, and two bottles of wine per cabin if both occupants are 21 or over. EM

The term "gobsmacked" suggests the OP might not be American. Need to know what cruises they're considering to be able to give a definite answer. Not only do cruise lines vary, but every cruise season seems to produce more cut-backs.

Most cruise lines provide, ice water, coffee, tea (iced or hot), some sort of lemonade, or flavored water or fruit punch, milk and juice with breakfast.

Soda and alcohol is extra...unless you're on a "luxury" line...

Read your cruise lines brochure...it will clearly tell you what's included!

Edited by cb at sea

The term "gobsmacked" suggests the OP might not be American. Need to know what cruises they're considering to be able to give a definite answer. Not only do cruise lines vary, but every cruise season seems to produce more cut-backs.

Hehe, I am very much American, just really into British novels:o

We are considering either Disney (and I know we could bring alcohol on board with them) and that most drinks are included. Though there seems to be some weird clause about where drinks are ordered to be included. :confused: And then Carnival. I've heard mention a "soda card" for their ships.

I've been searching through both the Disney site and Carnival but both sites seem a bit unclear about the policy.

Edited by sausfan1

I could be wrong, but I seem to recall pop being included on Disney. Am I wrong? {Canadians call it pop not soda!}

Most cruise lines offer a soda/pop card, which runs a few dollars a day, and gets you unlimited soda per day. But if you are not a huge soda drinker - go without.

Most cruiselines now offer beverage packages (the adult kind). But if you only want one or two drinks per day, you may be better off, just paying as you go, or taking advantage of "Carry on board programs" which allow you to bring on one or two bottles of wine".

We usually just take advantage of the carry-on board programs, but we've had beverage packages included with our booking for our recent cruise and future cruise. With the beverage package, I drank way more than I ever do at home and way more than I would if I didn't have a beverage package. The weight gain proved it. :D

Pop is included on Disney, but only from certain locations: beverage stations at the buffet and on the pool deck, and the dining rooms. If you order pop in a can from a bar, lounge or room service then there is a charge. You can also carry on your own pop if you like.

Hehe, I am very much American, just really into British novels:o

We are considering either Disney (and I know we could bring alcohol on board with them) and that most drinks are included. Though there seems to be some weird clause about where drinks are ordered to be included. :confused: And then Carnival. I've heard mention a "soda card" for their ships.

I've been searching through both the Disney site and Carnival but both sites seem a bit unclear about the policy.

soda, coke products, are included with disney, from the fountian (open 24/7 unless cleaning it/refilling) and in MDR. If you order from the bar, can, or room service you pay. You can bring alocol in your carry on, and water if you want bottled. Or you can buy bottled.

Carnival, extra, you can get the bottomless bubbles (I think it's now called) for endless soda, I think pepsi products? Again, though, if you order from room service, it'll be at a cost.

I'm not sure if carnival allows you bring any soda/water/alochol on board.

soda, coke products, are included with disney, from the fountian (open 24/7 unless cleaning it/refilling) and in MDR. If you order from the bar, can, or room service you pay. You can bring alocol in your carry on, and water if you want bottled. Or you can buy bottled.

Carnival, extra, you can get the bottomless bubbles (I think it's now called) for endless soda, I think pepsi products? Again, though, if you order from room service, it'll be at a cost.

I'm not sure if carnival allows you bring any soda/water/alochol on board.

The Carnival website (FAQs) have this info: Liquor and Beverage Policy

Bringing Alcohol On Board - Embarkation Day:

Guests are prohibited from bringing alcoholic beverages on board. However, at the beginning of the cruise during embarkation day, guests (21 years of age and older) may bring on board one 750 ml bottle of wine or champagne, per person, only in their carry-on luggage. A $15 corkage fee per 750 ml bottle will be charged should you wish to consume this wine in the main dining room or steakhouse. (A corkage fee is a charge exacted at a restaurant for every bottle of liquor served that was not bought on the premises)

On embarkation day, each guest may bring a small quantity of non-alcoholic beverages on board and only in their carry-on luggage. A small quantity is considered a maximum of 12 bottles and/or cans, 20 ounces each or less.

All alcohol/hard liquor/beer (sealed, unopened bottles/cans), wine/champagne over the allowable 1-bottle per guest (sealed, unopened bottles) or excessive quantities of non-alcoholic beverages (over 12 per person, sealed, unopened bottles/cans) will be confiscated and stored for safekeeping until the end of the voyage. The retained item(s) will be available for collection onboard in a designated location on the morning of debarkation. Unsealed liquids that are prohibited will be discarded, as well as any unclaimed items left after the voyage, and no compensation will be given in either case.

The Carnival website (FAQs) have this info: Liquor and Beverage Policy

Bringing Alcohol On Board - Embarkation Day:

Guests are prohibited from bringing alcoholic beverages on board. However' date=' at the beginning of the cruise during embarkation day, guests (21 years of age and older) may bring on board one 750 ml bottle of wine or champagne, per person, only in their carry-on luggage. A $15 corkage fee per 750 ml bottle will be charged should you wish to consume this wine in the main dining room or steakhouse. (A corkage fee is a charge exacted at a restaurant for every bottle of liquor served that was not bought on the premises)

On embarkation day, each guest may bring a small quantity of non-alcoholic beverages on board and only in their carry-on luggage. A small quantity is considered a maximum of 12 bottles and/or cans, 20 ounces each or less.

All alcohol/hard liquor/beer (sealed, unopened bottles/cans), wine/champagne over the allowable 1-bottle per guest (sealed, unopened bottles) or excessive quantities of non-alcoholic beverages (over 12 per person, sealed, unopened bottles/cans) will be confiscated and stored for safekeeping until the end of the voyage. The retained item(s) will be available for collection onboard in a designated location on the morning of debarkation. Unsealed liquids that are prohibited will be discarded, as well as any unclaimed items left after the voyage, and no compensation will be given in either case.

bah, why does it have to be one bottle? not just limit the 750ml? I drink the mini bottles, guess I can still bring two, that'll be cool.