My comparison of Princess and an All-Inclusive resort

Dreamer333

Over the Labor Day weekend, I visited the Ocean Blue Beach and Golf Resort, in Punta Cana (Dominican Republic)… It was an all-inclusive resort, rated a 5 out of 6 (rated by Apple Vacations), which I think is comparable to a Princess Cruise.

Price—In this particular case, the AI (all-inclusive) was better priced than Princess... however, I feel that I get more for my money with Princess

Food—Princess wins BY FAR in this category

Service—Another win for Princess

Pools—The AI wins hands down… two HUGE pools (and swim up bars), and tons of deck chairs around the pool

Entertainment—Another hands-down winner for Princess

Alcohol—because it is included in the price, the AI wins

Overall, I had a wonderful time on this all-inclusive vacation… It is a beautiful resort!!!

However, I am still convinced that CRUISING is the BEST way to vacation!!

Well, what a great comparison. We have been contimplating an all inclusive recently (just for something a bit different) as we would love to spend a week in Aruba. Now if someone could just recommend an all inclusive there, it would be great.

Thanks for letting us all know about Punta Cana, we will also keep it in mind.

SO! What is your choice and reccommendation - AI or cruise??

Ron

If you are looking for a very relaxing vacation... laying around the pool, drinking tropical drinks, I would recommend an all-inclusive... I was there for 3-nights, which went TOO fast, so I think 4 or 5 nights would have been better... However, I think that I would have gotten very bored if I stayed for 7-nights.

The other thing that I liked about Punta Cana, was that as an American, I was definitely the minority... The guests were mostly from Cuba, Puerto Rico, and Spain.

Like I said, I really enjoyed being the minority because it really gave me the feel of being in a foreign country! (And I had the opportunity to practice my Spanish).

I guess I would say that I recommend BOTH... I will definitely do another all-inclusive... but I think that cruises will always be my favorite way to vacation.

Now if someone could just recommend an all inclusive there, it would be great.

Unfortunately there are not a whole lot of all-inclusives in Aruba, but from what I've heard, I recommend the Allegro Aruba by Occidental.

I have never been to Aruba (yet!!), but I have heard so many wonderful things about it!! You should definitely go!

We have been on 4 cruises (all Princess, with number 5 coming up!) and 2 all-inlcusives (Cuba and Punta Cana). I find them to be very different vacations. If food is at all important to you, then take the cruise. We stayed at the Superclub Breezes in Cuba, and I had a heckuva time finding something decent to eat. To the point where I ate the same thing for breakfast and lunch every day! In Punta Cana (Barcelo Bavaro Palace), the food was better, but there is still no comparison.

I find there to be a very different activity level on the two vacations. In both Cuba and Punta Cana, the day is spent lounging around. There are excursions that you can book, but the activity level generally isn't there. Dare I say that I actually get a little bored at all-ins!

We like cruising because it is the best of both worlds. We are very active on port days, and like the mix of lounging around and having organized activities if we want them. I admit though, that sometimes after a cruise, I feel like I need a vacation! Completely our fault though!

Well the best holiday of all has to be All-inclusive cruises (including alchohol). Either the very expensive and exclusive Seabourn ships or a far more economical option are Thomson Cruises - an English cruise line. We have cruised all-inclusive with Thomson on 3 cruises and had a great time, and we are booked on the Thomson Spirit for a 2 week Med cruise next year.

I assume that this is just comparing cruising in the Caribbean or a beach resort since Princess goes to many, many other destinations and interesting ports. If that's so, you're right in that cruising is by far the better vacation. I don't do golf, pools, swim-up bars or beaches (other than to snorkle) so an AI would be a complete waste of money for me. It's also NOT ON A SHIP, which for me is the destination. :)

All inclusives are perfect for people who don't want to do formal nights!!

I've done both and really enjoy them both, my preference would probably be a cruise.

For those looking for a nice AI, try the Mayan Riveria on the Caribbean side of Mexico - lots of lovely spots to choose from.

My favorite AI is Sandals(cause it includes diving and doesn't have children).

We went to Sandals St. Lucia 2004 March and then went on a last minute Caribbean on the Grand near the end of April. Since all the schools in our area have spring break in March, we never thought about lots of kids. While trying to relax at the pool one day my husband says, this really makes you appreciate Sandals, doesn't it?

we decided to do an AI in Punta Cana this year instead of a cruise and I am looking forward to comparing the two vacations, as well.

I know my family will much prefer the AI because they flatly refused to cruise this time. They are more of the lay on the beach type, and I like to go and do and see things. To keep the peace we decided to alternate cruising and resort vacations.

As with any vacation, it is what you make of it that counts!

we decided to do an AI in Punta Cana this year instead of a cruise and I am looking forward to comparing the two vacations, as well.

As with any vacation, it is what you make of it that counts!

Which resort in Punta Cana are you staying at?

I agree that it is what you make of it that counts! I was a little disappointed about the food (not the best quality), but I just found some things that I liked, and enjoyed those... after all, I wasn't on the vacation for the food!

We will be staying at the Melia Caribe Tropical in January 2006. Not sure where that is in relation to where you stayed, but if you did happen to see it, I would be interested in what you thought.

I have also heard that the food in the DR isn't the best, but I could care less. I have the same attitude as you when it comes to the food because that is not why I am on vacation. I usually lose weight on a cruise, and will probably lose on this vacation as well!

Did you do any excursions while there? I plan to do as many as I can so that I can see the country beyond the confines of the resort.

I am starting to get excited for this trip, but it is hard to share that excitement because the message boards really aren't that active. No roll-calls or things like that. I guess that is why I still visit CC even though we don't have a cruise planned right now. However, I'm always planning one in my mind!!!

I'm a big A/I afficiondo, and really like the Palace Resorts in Cancun and the Mayan Riviera. The Marriott in Aruba offers an A/I package, and is a really beautiful resort!! I'm also a "lying on the beach, taking it easy" person...with a nice cool drink any time I want one! A great place in Punta Cana is the Paradisus...totally all-inclusive! SCUBA, golf, horse-back riding on the beach, cigars, cigarettes, etc. Of course, I am going on a cruise next week, though!:)

One thing that made me uncomfortable about Punta Cana is that you were essentially resort-locked. In Cuba, we could wander into Varadero with any worries. In Punta Cana, we were told not to leave the resort as it was dangerous. We stayed at a 5* (or a 4.5, depending on who is doing the rating), and they had guards posted at each of the little complexes. They carried with them very large sticks, and it was said they used it to keep the locals off the property. It didn't leave me with a warm fuzzy feeling, that's for sure.

Don't get me wrong, we felt absolutely safe on the resort. But I didn't like the feeling of not being able to go wherever I desire.

Did you do any excursions while there? I plan to do as many as I can so that I can see the country beyond the confines of the resort.

I saw the outside of the Melia, which is supposed to be a very nice hotel, but I didn't get to see any of the inside of it! The one thing that I didn't like was that there was construction ouside of the resort, which kind of brought the "look" of the resort down, but I see that the Melia is rated the same as the Ocean Blue, and the inside of the Ocean Blue was absolutely beautiful... so I'm sure you will be very happy! I've seen photos of the pools at Melia, and they look awesome!

No, unfortunately I didn't get the opportunity to go on any excursions. I laid out the first two days (and got burned)... so on the last day, I stayed in the shade all day!

I would prefer a cruise any day, but that is just my opinion. If you like to drink a lot, you would probably save money at an AI. I've never experienced an AI but our friends and relatives have and they loved it! But from what I heard, it would not be for us! I don't like to be cooped up in several acres and not be able to experience the island because it is too dangerous. The purpose of travel is to expand your horizons and get to know your surroundings. As far as Aruba goes, I don't think I would go there, after the kidnapping of the Hollowell girl. We are seniors and just hop in a cab and like to tour the areas we visit and now will be kind of leary. If someone wanted to do us harm, foreign governments just don't have the savvy of the US, and wouldn't be able to protect us.

I am sort of thinking along the same lines as Vale. Neither Wanda nor I drink alcoholic beverages and I always figured that was a big draw for the A.I. resorts. I don't mean getting sloppy drunk every day but I can imagine a couple of bloody mary's here, a beer or two, before dinner, after dinner....................it has got to add up.

For us as well, there is no comparison, the ship is part of our destination and it is really difficult to get a resort to move.

We laughed because the first folks we met were from San Diego (we went expecting no Americans). Apparently, Americans who visit Cuba either fly from Mexico or Canada. You don't get your passport stamped, so it's like you've never been there...

Yep! Americans can fly to Cuba from Canada, Mexico, and other countries! I was in Jamaica years ago, and the resort I stayed in offered a "24-hour junket" to Havana. It cost about $175.00, and went from 6:00 a.m. one day to 6:00 a.m. the next day. It included r/t airfare to Havana from Montego Bay, a tour of Havana, and an all- nighter at the Copa! Plus..all transportation, food and drinks. We were told NOT to bring our original Passports, but just copies. We were also advised to bring U.S. dollars. It was a great trip! We flew out of MoBay on some "un-named" airline, and were treated like royalty!~ Of course, we only saw the "best" parts of Havana. The people we met were very friendly, and spoke English. I really didn't part with many of my U.S. dollars, either. When we arrived back in Jamaica, I think I slept for about two days! Every time I fly to and from Cancun, the pilot always says "Well, folks..we are passing just north/south/east/west of Cuba, and you can see the coastline" All the passengers head to the nearest window, and you can hear the ""OOhs and Aahs" while they try to take pictures. I'm a proud American, and definitely no "Commie", but I think that it's been a long time since 1962. We lived in Florida when I was a kid in the 50's, and my parents went to Cuba several times, and loved it. Just my thoughts.

Hoping for no flames....!

we stayed at the Allegra Occidental resort in Aruba this past November. My in-laws, however, wanted to go and weren't able to stay there in February?? (they were doing some work on the hotel).

If they are open for business, though, I woudl recommend this all inclusive resort.

Aruba is not as cheap as most AI. The basic price is high, but prices are high all over.

We ate solely at the resort. They had either a buffet or sit down breakfast and lunch - same restaurant, food was excellent. Lunches - we did mostly buffet - were very tasty for buffet food - and we found a fantastic waitress on our second day in Aruba and tried to sit at her table for breakfast and lunch. It was almost like being on a cruise. She remembered our drink preferences and kept us filled and kept clearing plates away so we'd have room for more. We tipped her (not much) that first time and she was one of the few we did tip extra to (tips were included).

Each evening they have a dinner buffet with a show. The show went on at around 9 PM if I remember correctly, so if you ate very early you'd really have to dawdle to see the show. There were also two "specialty" restaurants - one open for lunch and dinner, one only for dinner. The lunch and dinner one had some Caribbean specialties and some American type dishes - excellent for both lunch and dinner, the other was Italian, and, with us being from NY with some of the best Italian food, we found it was highly overrated.

It was completely resort casual everywhere. WE asked the waiter at lunch in the specialty rest. about dress and his answer was "it's Aruba, anything you want". They did ask that you not wear wet bathing suits into the restaurants, though.

We spent our entire vacation going from breakfast to the beach, to lunch, to the beach, to dinner and show, to bed (or a late walk around the property - which is gorgeous). The rooms were a slight disappointment - kind of upscale Atlantic Ocean beach resort rooms - (for instance like the most expensive rooms in Wildwood, NJ; Ocean City, MD; Virginia Beach, VA.) - you know it's a beach resort, in other words, not a 5 star hotel. After the first half hour there, enjoying the beach, who cared...!

I for one am very much enjoying and interested in your varied perspective "comps". Any comments or observations about kids ashore vs. aboard...?

At the resort I was at, the kids program was pretty non-existant!

I saw a little club house and a playground for kids, but I didn't see any kids participating.

There were only a handful of kids while I was there, and they mostly played in the pool.

The kids programs on Princess was definitely MUCH better than the one I witnessed at this particular resort.

DH and I have never done an all-inclusive, and we're not sure that we'd like this type of vacation. But, DH's office manager and her DH go to Cancun every year in mid-January and have stayed at different all-inclusives with multiple visits to some resorts.

Last year, they went to a resort that was "new" to them because the price was right. While they enjoyed their week of fun in the sun, they had many complaints about this particular resort: lots of nickle & diming, poor food quality except in alternative specialty restaurants, certain alcoholic beverages weren't free, charges for activities, etc. In the end, they ended up spending the same or more than they would have at one of the tried-and-true places they'd visited previously!

Here's my question: Are there complaints at all-inclusive resorts like many of us notice on cruiseships? I guess I'm curious about whether it's vacation packages that appear to include everything from accommodations, food, entertainment, activities, etc. that lend themselves to complaints. Also, do you tip at an all-inclusive or is this included in the cost? TIA

Chris

Archived