Tips for a first-timer

awarren114

Hi everyone! My husband and I are looking to take our kids on our first cruise in November/December (still figuring out work schedules). We are set on the Breeze, so now it's just a matter of finding a time that works.

Anyway! What would be your biggest piece of advice for first time cruisers? I am a notorious over-planner and I've been researching for months (will continue to do so until the day we leave I'm sure :)) I feel like I've learned so much already about the ship and ports, but what would be some general cruising tips I may need to know? I'm not too familiar with the lingo yet. What should I expect as a first timer?

Hi everyone! My husband and I are looking to take our kids on our first cruise in November/December (still figuring out work schedules). We are set on the Breeze, so now it's just a matter of finding a time that works.

Anyway! What would be your biggest piece of advice for first time cruisers? I am a notorious over-planner and I've been researching for months (will continue to do so until the day we leave I'm sure :)) I feel like I've learned so much already about the ship and ports, but what would be some general cruising tips I may need to know? I'm not too familiar with the lingo yet. What should I expect as a first timer?

Welcome to the wonderful world of cruising. :D We loved Breeze. My husband wants to sail her again so badly but the opportunity has not yet come.

One thing I learned is to take half the amount of clothing I had packed for our first cruise. It was just my husband and me and we had five suitcases for a seven day cruise! We spent so much time in our bathing suits so we brought home most of our clothes unworn. Since we are sit by the pool/swim in the ocean people, we now bring just a few days worth of clothes. We re-wear outfits that we've only worn for a few hours at night. (We do pack lots of clean undies, though.) We're down to just two suitcases, even for our 13 days cruise.

When you embark, walk all the way around the Lido buffet before you choose your first lunch. If/when you choose to order a sandwich from the Deli, ask for as much meat as you'd like. What's better than a thick pastrami and corned beef sandwich?!?! Tandoor, located all the way aft (back) on the starboard (right side facing forward, or front) side of the ship is fabulous if you like Indian food. (My favorite.)

Order room service. It is complimentary. A $1 or $2 tip to the person who delivers your food is thoughtful.

Eat lots of chocolate chip cookies! They are so delicious-sweet with a slightly salty aftertaste. Mmmm...

(Hmmm, think I enjoy eating on a cruise? :D)

I'm sure you'll get so much advice. Read it all, relax, and have a great cruise.

I'm sure people will give you some great advice like what to make sure to pack, etc. so I'll give some general advice.

1) Don't over plan activities on the ship. At least for me, one of the best things about the ship is people can do what they want and have a good time. Micromanaging every hour of the day is for work, not cruising.

2) Don't let one thing be so important that if it doesn't meet your expectations, it ruins the trip. For example, if weather is bad and you don't make a port, there are plenty of ways to have fun.

3) Try out new things to do, eat and see. For example, order multiple appetizers, entrees and deserts in the main dining room. Go see a show that you may not see at home.

4) wear sunscreen.

5) Don't expect other passengers to be like you. They won't be. No matter how you are. But to me, that's one of the reasons I like cruising. But if someone is loud or obnoxious, lots of places to go on a ship.

6) get to know the staff, especially your room steward and wait staff. Ask them about where they are from. I've learned a lot about places I'll likely never go. And the staff is almost always genuinely nice.

7) if something is not to your standard, just ask the staff to fix it. I'm surprised when I hear about people who just let things go.

8) explore this ship. All of it. It's fun.

I'm sure there are a billion other, more important things. I've only been on 5 cruises, so it's not like I'm an expert. But I've loved every one of them.

Edited by Hoosierpop

If you are going to do shore excursions, as it is your first time, I would recommend going through Carnival instead of an independent vendor in port. Most will tell you the exact opposite. Is it more expensive, probably. However, if the excursion is late getting back to the ship, they will hold the ship for you. If they cannot, they will fly you to the next stop.

Even though there is soooo much food, pace yourself. I made the mistake of eating everything in sight on my first cruise, and I ended up sick the first night. Took a few days to recover, so I wasn't able to enjoy everything. Guy's Burgers is a must. The Blue Iguana has awesome arepas (I think I spelled this wrong) and breakfast burritos. If the inside is packed for breakfast, keep walking out to the back as there is an omelet station out there. The pizza is good and make a good after hours snack. Sea Day Brunch, get the Mac and Cheese (you will thank me later).

The Ocean Plaza (Promenade Deck) has a create your own salad for lunch. At night, it becomes The Taste Bar and you can taste small bites of items from the specialty restaurants.

Red Frog Pub is a lot of fun. Be the first ones there on your day of sailing, and you will get a free pint! The comedy shows are hit and miss depending on the comedian. Last trip, one guy was so funny that I almost peed myself, and I actually walked out on the other guy.

Don't be afraid to ask questions. Some people are afraid to ask the staff questions because they think they are stupid, but don't feel that way.

I don't have kids, so I cannot make any recommendations.

Wear sunscreen. The sun in the Caribbean is much different than the sun where you are from. Many people make the mistake of not applying and reapplying sunscreen.

The Breeze is an amazing ship -- most definitely my favorite. Going on her again soon, and I can't wait.

Most importantly, sit back, turn your phones, iPhones, iPads, and computers off and RELAX. You are on vacation on probably the best Carnival ship in the fleet.

If you have any specific questions about the ship, I would be more than happy to answer them for you.

Edited by FTLCruiseGal

You can certainly do things ashore without an excursion...but you do need to research your ports! You can't "go blind" and expect to have a great time for little money! By knowing WHAT is in your port, and how to get there, it's easy and cheaper to DIY!

And remember...this is just a vacation...not a marathon! So, do whatever you'd do at any beachy vacation!

Thanks everyone, lots of great tips! This will be the first time out of the country for all of us and the first time to the beach for the kids. We really just want a few days to disconnect from reality and make some great memories. I've done so much research, my head is spinning. Finally narrowed it down to the Breeze, now just trying to narrow down rooms. I really just want it to be a very fun, memorable experience so I'm maybe OVER planning to ensure a good time. Thanks again!