Does Florida require carseat on a taxi?

mkkao924

In short, NO.

While they are required in family vehicles, they are not required on buses or taxis. Statue 316.613:

(6) The child restraint requirements imposed by this section do not apply to a chauffeur-driven taxi, limousine, sedan, van, bus, motor coach, or other passenger vehicle if the operator and the motor vehicle are hired and used for the transportation of persons for compensation.

That statute may get the limo driver off the hook, but I'm not sure it absolves the parents of responsibility.

The laws of physics do apply - and I have the scars to prove it! :(

The airline will check your car seat if you choose not to use it on the flight; I would tip the driver extra $$ for the time spent installing and uninstalling the seat. Bringing your own seat is the only way to ensure that it is sized properly for your child and well maintained.

That statute may get the limo driver off the hook, but I'm not sure it absolves the parents of responsibility.

The laws of physics do apply - and I have the scars to prove it! :(

The airline will check your car seat if you choose not to use it on the flight; I would tip the driver extra $$ for the time spent installing and uninstalling the seat. Bringing your own seat is the only way to ensure that it is sized properly for your child and well maintained.

You are correct John. The rest of that section of the Statute says:

It is the obligation and responsibility of the parent, guardian, or other person responsible for a child’s welfare as defined in s. 39.01 to comply with the requirements of this section.

I had left it out focusing only on the exemption fro taxis to have car seats.