new to NCL, help me with some info

After 3 RCCL and 3 Princess cruises, we are considering NCL Getaway for our next family vacation (spring 2016). At time of sailing we are a family of 4, with one son, one month shy of 13 y/o and a just turned 11 y/o girl.

Please help us with some questions-

Ocean View Staterooms- are there any connecting/adjoining (with interior door) staterooms? I have poured over the deck plans and have not found any, but just incase there is a hidden gem....

Shorts -- not athletic, but khaki knee length style, are they allowed in any of the dining rooms or restaurants at dinner (remember that preteen boy??)

Kids club- Again from the 12 going on 13 y/o- what are the chances he will be allowed to join into the 13+ kids club?

MDR- what are diners like? Based on passed cruises, we are used to a 3 to 4 course meal. appetizer, salad, main meal and dessert. is this the way meals are served on NCL in the MDR?

Freestyle cruising- from what I read that means no set dinner times or reservations. That sounds great! But is it really that easy to just show up and eat?

Lobster- on our previous cruises, formal night also means lobster night. With NCL not having a designated formal night, is lobster served in the MDR on any night?

Escargot- it may be a non issue come next spring, but on our last cruise, to my surprise, both kids ordered escargot as their appetizer each night. Does NCL offer this?

Waterslides and ropes course- they look amazing, are they? If we are going during spring break, what type of line should we expect?

Thanks to anyone who can help answer any of our questions

great questions! I'm considering NCL for Canada/New England cruise this fall. I've sailed Princess numerous times, but never NCL. Any differences (both good and bad) from Princess line is appreciated.

Also, husband snores SO loudly - any suggestions other than separate cabins?

Thank you!

After 3 RCCL and 3 Princess cruises, we are considering NCL Getaway for our next family vacation (spring 2016). At time of sailing we are a family of 4, with one son, one month shy of 13 y/o and a just turned 11 y/o girl.

Ocean View Staterooms- are there any connecting/adjoining (with interior door) staterooms? I have poured over the deck plans and have not found any, but just incase there is a hidden gem....

Shorts -- not athletic, but khaki knee length style, are they allowed in any of the dining rooms or restaurants at dinner (remember that preteen boy??)

Kids club- Again from the 12 going on 13 y/o- what are the chances he will be allowed to join into the 13+ kids club?

MDR- what are diners like? Based on passed cruises, we are used to a 3 to 4 course meal. appetizer, salad, main meal and dessert. is this the way meals are served on NCL in the MDR?

Freestyle cruising- from what I read that means no set dinner times or reservations. That sounds great! But is it really that easy to just show up and eat?

Lobster- on our previous cruises, formal night also means lobster night. With NCL not having a designated formal night, is lobster served in the MDR on any night?

Escargot- it may be a non issue come next spring, but on our last cruise, to my surprise, both kids ordered escargot as their appetizer each night. Does NCL offer this?

Waterslides and ropes course- they look amazing, are they? If we are going during spring break, what type of line should we expect?

Nice shorts are fine for a 12 yo boy in any restaurant. He won't be allowed in the teen club if he is not yet 13.

Dinner in MDR is whatever you want it to be. Get any or all items on the menu - soups, salads, appetizers, main dishes, desserts.

Yes, you can just show up and eat. At peak times there may be a short wait. We only experienced that once on our first cruise.

I think they have done away with lobster in MDR. I believe escargot (and maybe lobster) is available in Le Bistro (specialty French restaurant).

We are looking forward to all activities on Getaway. Hoping to figure out off peak times to use ropes course, etc.

Connecting OV rooms - yes there are, check deck 5.

Shorts - my understanding is that shorts are allowed in every dining venue except Le Bistro.

Kids Club - disclaimer, I don't have kids, but I have heard that they stick the the age groups and will not waive a child into another group.

Dinner reservations - if you are a little flexible with your timing, yes it's that easy. Prime times may have a wait but you can see if there is a wait on TV screens positioned around the ship.

Lobster - I'm not sure on this one.

Escargot - also not sure about MDR but I believe it is served in Le Bistro.

Water slide and Ropes course - on spring break on a sea day there may be a wait. I suggest going when they first open. For the ropes course make sure your kids are wearing closed toed and closed healed shoes or they will not be allowed on. And for the water slides (specifically the drop ones) make sure they have on no jewelry or anything with grommets.

We sail on May 2. First time on NCL - but have done Disney, Princess and Carnival.

We will have our 10yo and 12.5yo sons with us.

I will have some answers for you soon!

OH - please DO come back and share details. We are going NEXT May and my kids will be comparing it mentally to DCL. I've done both DCL and Princess and had fabulous trips on both. I'd love your 2¢ when you get back.

I thought food on Princess was outstanding. I'm hoping to be as tickled by NCL.

We had a 12 year old and last year she could not move up. It's really for the best. AsFar as snoring how about a 2 bedroom, if cost isn't too much more? Also if you are in a suite or haven, the butler could bring escargot as an appetizer to your room.

Most of your questions have been answered. I can help with these.

Freestyle cruising allows you to "eat when you want." This means there is no early and late seating like on Royal. It also means that at most times you will have a wait to eat. You will show up to the MDR and will be given a pager like a land based restaurant. Sometimes the wait is short, it is longer at peak times. If you eat very early or very late you might be able to get in with minimal wait but on average we have waited 15-20 mins.

Lobster is not served in the MDR on any night. There used to be a seafood night on the buffet that had Lobster on night, but I have not seen this on recent cruises. There is lobster available at the extra fee specialty restaurants.

Escargot is also not served in the MDR, but is available at Le Bistro (for fee specialty restaurant)

Ropes course and slides - They are GREAT. The slides are the best in the cruise industry. The ropes course is very fun. On a spring break cruise I would expect waits. There will be a VERY large number of kids and these are very popular attractions. The waits are much better while in port, so if a port doesn't do much for you then you can pretty much have your run of things on the ship.

6&8

We had a 12 year old and last year she could not move up. It's really for the best. AsFar as snoring how about a 2 bedroom, if cost isn't too much more? Also if you are in a suite or haven, the butler could bring escargot as an appetizer to your room.

As a family of 7 who always gets connecting balconies, the 2 bedroom is WAY more expensive!

Freestyle also means you don't have to sit with other people unless you want to. If you want, just ask the Host(ess) that you'll like to share your table.

If you want to try a specialty restaurant you'll want to make reservations as early as possible on-line. With the current Ultimate Dining Package promo time slots are get filled quickly. Exp: Teppanyaki only has 12 chairs per stove/table, but only 4 seatings a night.

Kids club- Again from the 12 going on 13 y/o- what are the chances he will be allowed to join into the 13+ kids ?

We were on the Jewel last year and my son turned 13 during the cruise. The crew would not budge. My son had to stay with the young kids until the exact day of his birthday. Unbelievable!!! Since it was an off season cruise, and there were not many kids onboard, they merged two of the younger groups for activities, and my tall son (with a size 12 shoe and peach fuzz mustache ) was expected to play hide and seek with 7 year olds. Needless to say, he hated the kids club and never went back. My kids still talk about how the Jewel was the worst cruise ship for kids.

Other cruise line are much more accomodating with requests for moving kids up or down an age group. Especially when requesting to keep family/friends in the same group. My daughter actually moved down a group to be with her cousin on a Carnival cruise. This process keeps parents happy, kids happy, and repeat customers.

Edited by mpcaruth

CPAP Machine!!!!!!!!!!!!! Save his life (from me smothering him). Have him get a sleep study done & you should be all set.

I second that answer. Been using a CPAP for almost 18 years. Contributed to the end of my first marriage, but saved my second one! Best device I've ever used. I'm well rested, have more energy, get to sleep in minutes and don't make a sound!!

Connecting OV rooms - yes there are, check deck 5.

Water slide and Ropes course - on spring break on a sea day there may be a wait. I suggest going when they first open. For the ropes course make sure your kids are wearing closed toed and closed healed shoes or they will not be allowed on. And for the water slides (specifically the drop ones) make sure they have on no jewelry or anything with grommets.

Thank you, I skipped right over deck 5. I have a rule that I must have staterooms above and below me (traveled once with the pool deck above me, never again!)

And great info about the shoes.

• 2 weeks later...