South Pacific Cruises Dec 2015 from Australia

Hello,

I am currently researching cruises for my boyfriend (20) and I (18) in which we plan to take in December 2015. We wish we could be more flexible with when we can travel however due to study and work commitments, December is the only time we can both travel. We have both never cruised before and this trip will be our first international trip together.

I am pretty overwhelmed with the amount of choice available for cruise liners, and we are looking at the following, based on price and the itinerary:

Princess Cruises (Dawn Princess)- 14 Day Fiji & South Pacific (Sydney- Lifou- Vila- Port Denarau- Suva- Savusavu- Dravuni Island- Noumea- Sydney)

Holland America (ms Noordam)- 12 Day Pacific Treasures (Sydney- Mare- Lifou- Lautoka- Dravuni Island- Noumea- Sydney)

Carnival Cruises (Carnival Legend)- 11 Night Pacific Islands (Sydney- Isle Of Pines- Mystery Island- Vila- Santo- Noumea- Sydney)

P&O Cruises (Pacific Eden)- 9 Night Explore the Loyalty Islands (Sydney- Noumea- Lifou- Mystery Island- Mare- Sydney)

Royal Carribean (Legend of the Seas)- 10 Night South Pacific Cruise (Brisbane- Champagne Bay- Vila- Mystery Island- Noumea- Lifou- Brisbane)

I have done some research on each cruise/ ship, and it seems that Princess & HAL are mainly full of older people- is that true? We are a young couple, and although we aren't so keen on a party or 'boozy' atmosphere, we do want to make sure there lots of activities onboard for us. What would you recommend for us?

Would also love to hear about what ports people loved/ disliked and what are the must- sees.

Any relevant information about any of the above cruises and what may be best suited to us or anything else would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for your reply! I was thinking among the same lines in regards to Carnival and RC.

We don't live in Sydney or Brisbane, however Sydney is closest for us. We will have to fly no matter the cruise.

Hi Ellie,

My partner and I (ages 31 & 32) have travelled both P&O and Royal Caribbean. We are now Royal Caribbean all the way - good mixture in terms of ages, lots of different activities and places for all tastes on the ships, and didn't have that booze cruise feel that P&O had.

No matter what you choose - a cruise is what you make of it!

Thanks for your input DrewAU! I had heard similar things about P&O, so I think I may forgot about that one, along with Princess and HAL which seem to attract a mainly older clientele.

I am now focusing on Carnival and Royal Carribean. The Voyager of the Seas, which I can see you travelled on looks incredible, however at the time of the year and where we want to go, it seems the Legend of the Seas is the only one available. Was there anything on the VOTS that you would recommend in particular? I hope the Legend of the Seas is of the same standard. :)

Thanks for your reply! I was thinking among the same lines in regards to Carnival and RC.

We don't live in Sydney or Brisbane, however Sydney is closest for us. We will have to fly no matter the cruise.

I seem to recall a cruise embarking passengers from Hobart, but it may have been to NZ, not the South Pacific.

What are the dates you are looking at traveling during?

I would go carnival or RCI.

We did Princess in our early 30's and were the youngest on board. Not enough activities suited to out needs.

For a first cruise try a shorter cruise.

Have you thought about going to New Zealand on a cruise during this time?

Explorer & voyager are going there in December.

New Zealand is amazing. I loved cruising there far more than the South Pacific.

We are looking at travelling early- mid December 2015. Thank you for your comments, particularly in relation to age demographics. I was apprehensive with Princess for that reason, so thank you for now making my mind up.

We have thought about New Zealand, but I guess we are eager to explore the South Pacific for the first time, and to swim and snorkel. A compromise that allows us to travel on the Voyager of the Seas may be the 13 Night South Pacific & New Zealand cruise on the 5th of December which travels to Mystery Island, Isle of Pines, Noumea, Bay of Islands and Auckland.

Hi Ellie you will feel like you are sailing with your parents ,find a nice spot to chill as a couple on land would be my advice .The other thing to consider is the weather in the South Pacific in Dec/Jan is not that great ( wet season) and the cruise lines gouge customers over this period as it is school break .

I am 20 and this is what I have found.

Royal Caribbean, tends to be more for the older crowds, and young people who drink. If you don't drink it can be hard to find things to do onboard.

P&O tend to have a wider range of entertainment.

Princess is pretty similar to Royal except the fact that if you are not a drinker you wont feel like you are missing out.

Carnival is more the party atmosphere.

Haven't been on Holland America but I would assume they are for the older market.

Princess in holiday periods have a younger market then Royal Caribbean, but in non holiday periods it will be a much older crowd. It also depends on your cruise destination. For example cruises to NZ usually have a older market. The SP doesn't really have an age market.

I am not a drinker so I tend to prefer Princess and P&O. While I get extremely bored on Royal as they just don't have any activities for me and you can only do the sports stuff so many times.

Hi Ellie

I would say Carnival but in saying that RCI are good as well but with Carnival your will be paying in $Aus on-board and no gratuities compared to RCI and you will only need a flight to Sydney which ever way you go enjoy

Voyager is nearly twice the size of Legend (137,000 vs 69,500 gross tonnes), so there will be a lot more activities overall, and a larger ship will be more stable generally. We haven't done Legend, but would certainly recommend Voyager. It is our experience that a larger ship actually feels less crowded than a smaller one most of the time.

That Sth Pac and NZ trip is the same as what we have booked for November this year, and I think it would be a good combination for a beginner. We have done Sth Pac and NZ several times and love both itineraries.

We have talked to a lot of people about the different lines over the years, and it seems to us that while some people are staunchly loyal to one line, they are all trying their hardest to please the passenger, and they have more similarities than differences overall. South Pacific trips tend to be a bit cheaper for the same time frame than NZ ones, and I don't know if that is due to port fees etc or the distance (fuel etc).

Edited by goodycruising

Ellie, one thing you also have to look at is the number of sea day on each initerary. It's two sea days from Sydney to New Caledonia, one more from there to Fiji - usually a cruise including Fiji will have 6 sea days, to just New Caledonia and Vanuatu there will be 4 sea days. On these days you need to think about what you will do onboard. Look at what each cruise line offers.

Excursions offered by the cruise lines are expensive. Many ports have alternatives. Here are some comments on what we've discovered in New Caledonia at least.

Lifou - Jinek Bay is the snorkelling area. It costs $15pp and, apart from P&O cruises where you buy vouchers onboard, you pay at the bay which is a short walk from the bay where the tenders dock.

Mare - there is nothing much where the tenders dock but there is a lovely lagoon 20 minutes bus ride away. On our RCI cruise you had to buy the bus tickets onboard for US $20pp.

Isle of Pines has snorkelling walking distance from where the tenders dock but on the other side - there is a narrow isthmus at one point which separates two bays. We didn't snorkel that day, just lazed around the lovely sandy beach.

Noumea - you might want to look into a trip to Duck Island which you could organise yourself, or to Amadee Lighthouse as a ship excursion. Or you might just want to explore this interesting town. There is a Hop-on Hop-off bus for $15pp.

Ozkiwijj I think you will find that cruises to New Caledonia and Vanuatu with 4 sea days would be cruises no longer than 8 days .We did these ports this year on a 9 night cruise and it was 6 sea days ,our next cruise which is to Fiji for 12 nights has a total of 6 sea days . You could do a 7 nighter and that would be 3 sea days, so with the shortest cruise the op is looking at (9 days) it would be safe to say there would be at least 5-6 sea days

Ozkiwijj I think you will find that cruises to New Caledonia and Vanuatu with 4 sea days would be cruises no longer than 8 days .We did these ports this year on a 9 night cruise and it was 6 sea days ,our next cruise which is to Fiji for 12 nights has a total of 6 sea days . You could do a 7 nighter and that would be 3 sea days, so with the shortest cruise the op is looking at (9 days) it would be safe to say there would be at least 5-6 sea days

If they took 3 sea days each way to New Caledonia it sounds like they were padding the itinerary by cruising slower.

Our fist cruise was 13 nights, 2 sea days to New Caledonia, 1 sea day to Fiji, 1 sea day back to New Caledonia and 2 sea days back to Sydney, so 6 in total on the itinerary. Our last port stop in Fiji was cancelled so we ended up with an extra sea day and a slower trip back to New Caledonia.

The second cruise was 9 nights - 2 sea days to New Caledonia and 2 back.

Hmmm, must have a look at some current itineraries and see what they say.

If they took 3 sea days each way to New Caledonia it sounds like they were padding the itinerary by cruising slower.

Our fist cruise was 13 nights, 2 sea days to New Caledonia, 1 sea day to Fiji, 1 sea day back to New Caledonia and 2 sea days back to Sydney, so 6 in total on the itinerary. Our last port stop in Fiji was cancelled so we ended up with an extra sea day and a slower trip back to New Caledonia.

The second cruise was 9 nights - 2 sea days to New Caledonia and 2 back.

Hmmm, must have a look at some current itineraries and see what they say.

I suppose it depends on how many ports there is that last one we did was 3 days to Noumea next day Lifou next day Villa then 3 days back to Sydney would have preferred a sea day in between one of the ports but that's how it was

Our next one to Fiji 12 nights there is no more 2 consecutive sea days as I said 6 all up

So it is just a matter how many ports you have or if they have a sea day in between ports

I took a quick survey of some of the cruises currently available. Interesting results.

Sea%20Days%20Table_zpswky6o6sr.jpg

One cruise had 1 sea day between a New Caledonia (NC) port and a Vanuatu port but most didn't. There was always 1 sea day to and from Fiji, or 1 extra if coming directly back to Australia.

Some cruises had 3 sea days ex Sydney to NC, and at least one Brisbane cruise only had 1 sea day to NC.

I love sea days, I'd be happy just sailing around in circles as long as it was warm weather, but I still think they are padding the itinerary when they take 3 sea days from Sydney to NC.

My vote is for the Royal Carribbean Legend of the Seas - for the itinerary. Champagne Bay (beautiful beach), Vila (lots to do), Lifou (best snorkelling - Jinek Bay)

Do RCI or any of the other cruise lines, have a minimum age for booking a cabin?

I'm thinking 21 (?)

Edited by aussielozzie18

Hi Ellie,

My partner and I (ages 31 & 32) have travelled both P&O and Royal Caribbean. We are now Royal Caribbean all the way - good mixture in terms of ages, lots of different activities and places for all tastes on the ships, and didn't have that booze cruise feel that P&O had.

No matter what you choose - a cruise is what you make of it!

Second this!

What about Royal Caribbean Explorer of the Seas on the 16th December 8 night South Pacific cruise? Explorer is the biggest and most modern ship to come to Australia fresh from being refurbished. It has an ice skating rink, surf simulator (flowrider) and is filled with heaps of fun things to do! Would definitely go this one over the Legend of the Seas.

8 night cruises attract a younger demographic crowd as well and longer cruises have an older demographic, so if you're concerned about that this is probably the perfect option for you!

Royal Caribbean or Carnival would be the way to go! But for your age I would go Royal Caribbean Explorer of the Seas it would be the best suited by far, also at that time of year it would be a really lively/festive cruise if you wanted it to be! :D

Do RCI or any of the other cruise lines, have a minimum age for booking a cabin?

I'm thinking 21 (?)

I'm currently awaiting a response from RCI about this, worried that we may not comply (because of me). :( In regards to Carnival I found this:

14. MINIMUM AGE TO TRAVEL

Stateroom Age Requirements:

To ensure there is suitable supervision, there needs to be at least one guest 18 years or older in each stateroom. However, to accommodate families cruising together, children may occupy a separate stateroom to their parent/legal guardian, providing one child is 16 years or over.

Minimum Age to Book:

For cruises departing from an Australian port between 1 November and 7 January, any passenger under 19 years of age on the day they board the cruise, must travel in the same stateroom as a responsible adult 19 years or older. In addition, from 8 January to 31 January, there is a limit on the number of passengers under 19 years of age who can travel unaccompanied. Once the limit is reached, a responsible adult 19 years or older must travel in the same stateroom. We can advise you at the time of booking whether the limit applies to your booking. Carnival Cruise Lines can waive the responsible adult requirement at its discretion. The responsible adult is accountable for passengers under 19 years of age in their stateroom for the duration of the cruise, and the ‘Rights of the Captain’ will be applied to anyone who displays disruptive behaviour.

After reading the above, it seems we will be ok. If anything thinks otherwise, please let me know! Thank you all so much for your comments and recommendations, it has given me lots to think about and I believe that I have now narrowed down our options to RCI and Carnival. I am partially swayed to Carnival for the fact it operates in $AUD, but am keeping open minded.

Edited by Ellie D

RCI is minimum 18 for cruises out of Australia, it's listed in their FAQs in their website.

I'm sure you'd be OK on both RCI and Carnival as one of you is 20, right?

Edited by OzKiwiJJ

Ellie, I don't know what the drinks prices are like on Carnival but they are very high on RCI, and RCI push their drinks packages.

Keep asking questions, someone here will probably know the answer. :)

Edited by OzKiwiJJ

Another thing to be aware of Ellie is the AUS dollar against the US dollar which is what RCI use for example at the current rate spend $100 onboard RCI and it will cost you $128 aus approx. also when you are onboard you pay 18% gratuities on everything you spend onboard ,and if you don't prepay gratuities you will be charged $13 per person per day .

I am not trying to scare you away from RCI, that is who we mainly cruise with but to let you know so you are aware of these cost as I said before which ever way you go enjoy

Interesting chart QzKiwi shows they certainly don't need to take 3 days to get there

Edited by chester32

Another thing to be aware of Ellie is the AUS dollar against the US dollar which is what RCI use for example at the current rate spend $100 onboard RCI and it will cost you $128 aus approx. also when you are onboard you pay 18% gratuities on everything you spend onboard ,and if you don't prepay gratuities you will be charged $13 per person per day .

I am not trying to scare you away from RCI, that is who we mainly cruise with but to let you know so you are aware of these cost as I said before which ever way you go enjoy

Interesting chart QzKiwi shows they certainly don't need to take 3 days to get there

That is a good point.

Also look at the dress code, some of the lines ask a higher level of dress on FORMAL NIGHT but the three discussed here will be more casual, that may effect your decision one way or the other.

I can think of a few reasons for the sea days:

1 it costs less to run at 15 knts than at 22

2 People spend more at sea than in port, if for no other reson than they are on the ship, drinking, gambling and shopping

3 Some passengers actually like sea days :D