Will Celebrity be boring for us?

Vitamin_Sea

I've been on some Celebrity passenger choirs where we rehearsed most days and performed either in the theatre or in the atrium on the last day/night. That is a whole lot of fun for me. d.

Holy smokes! I have never heard of this kind of activity on a ship! My DD and I are choral nerds and this is right up our alley! Is this common on X? Our summer cruise to Alaska is our 8th cruise but our first on Celebrity. This thread is very helpful. Thanks.

Sent from my LG-D801 using Forums mobile app

DW and I did four Carnival cruises before taking our first Celeb cruise in 2011 (Infinity - Valparaiso to Buenos Aries - add it to your bucket list). I was concerned about the night life and asked on this website about it. "Not to worry" I was told because there would be many South Americans on board (and there were) and they like to party (they do!). So there were both English and Spanish bands and the dance club was always crowded. The shows were excellent too.

Cruise 2 was one year later (Eclipse - 2 weeks Southern Caribbean). Again I was concerned about the night life. Is Celeb as much fun in the Caribbean as it is in South America? Again I was told not to worry, and they were right. The entertainment the first week was somewhat repetitive. I think some act(s) must have cancelled at the last minute. Week 2 was better. The dance club was lively.

Cruise 3 (Silhouette - 1 week Western Caribbean) took place in February. The fun level was as high or higher than any cruise - Carnival or Celeb - that I've been on. The dance floor was always crowded. During the day there was music by the pool. The mainstage entertainment was phenomenal. What stands out were the very good stage productions, two really funny comedians and the most original (and hilarious) ventriloquist act I've ever seen. There was also one night when dancing took place in the main lobby. (Valentine's Day - very romantic)

What you won't get on Celeb, other than the crew/passenger volleyball games, are loud activities by the pool. (I know not everyone agrees, but I'm one of those who calls this a good thing.) There is music.

Based on my experience, most Celeb passengers don't go to bed after the last show but most of the people sailing are 50 something or higher. Assuming that's not a problem, you should be fine.

Thanks... Im 53yo so I was cool with Celebrity but I was more concerned for my daughter who is 18yo

But the more I think about the more comfortable I feel.

She is at the age now that the kids clubs are cutoff on all linesand she doesnt need water slides and stupid hairy chest contests.

I only ask this because we are used to the things on Carnival and enjoy the atmosphere.

We like having live music throughout the day and fun events on the Lido deck.

I get the feeling its very quiet on Celebrity.

If anyone could add helpful advise I would appreciate it

Personally, I'd never do Carnival. Just watching some of pax behavior on shore is enough for us. On Celebrity(especially the longer trips)you'll have plenty of entertainment & live music on the Lido deck. Smoking is restricted quite a bit(as on most lines now)Food(always subject to personal tastes)is generally better than say Carnival/RCCL & most especially NCL(costs are generally higher) so food is generally better. Specialty rest. are pretty good on ANY cruiseline. You will find Celebrity to have a nicer dresscode. Sorry, but shorts & sandles at dinner are not about what fine dining is about. You'll need decent pants(Khakis are fine)nice shoes(or really nice sneakers)decent dress shirt(polo style for smart casual nights)a sport coat or suit for formal nights are fine. If you don't bring a suit/sport coat you may not get into the MDR on formal nights, but it's not about tuxes & ball gowns(though some wear them)Jus dress as you would at a nice shore side rest. (not like Applebees!)You should have a good time. If you really treasure the "party" life of Carnival, you may be somewhat let down. Your choice to try it.

Perhaps, some Carnival/NCL/RCCL guests are not up to code but I dont let a few bad apples spoil anything.

I try and stick to February, late April/early May, or the Fall to avoid the party crowd on the fun ships. Even Celebrity had some problems during Spring Break.

For us it's all about seeing new ports, and each cruise line is a give and take. Looking back at 1980's prices ($900 for a 3 day cruise), I'll gladly enjoy a few perks here and a few perks there, it helps us all to keep cruising more. :)

Thanks... Im 53yo so I was cool with Celebrity but I was more concerned for my daughter who is 18yo

But the more I think about the more comfortable I feel.

She is at the age now that the kids clubs are cutoff on all linesand she doesnt need water slides and stupid hairy chest contests.

Then I am feeling more n more that she will be Okie dokie den! Why?

We took our DD on X the first time at 8, in 1994, and for her 4 th time, for HS Grad gift Dec 2000. 5 diff lines, worked on ship for RCCL, and X is still her favorite line.

EW

I try and stick to February, late April/early May, or the Fall to avoid the party crowd on the fun ships. Even Celebrity had some problems during Spring Break.

For us it's all about seeing new ports, and each cruise line is a give and take. Looking back at 1980's prices ($900 for a 3 day cruise), I'll gladly enjoy a few perks here and a few perks there, it helps us all to keep cruising more. :)

I look for a good value for a vacation. So, usually CCL gives the best bang for the buck. But, I did find my current 7/5 Celeb cruise an incredible deal for a summer cruise plus its a no=fly cruise. Thats even a bigger plus

Perhaps, some Carnival/NCL/RCCL guests are not up to code but I dont let a few bad apples spoil anything.

These were not "Spring Breakers" just really poorly behaved pax from some Carnival ships that docked along with Cunard/Celebrity/Princess/HAL in many of the ports we've been to. Seems a lot of ships follow the same cruise path.

These were not "Spring Breakers" just really poorly behaved pax from some Carnival ships that docked along with Cunard/Celebrity/Princess/HAL in many of the ports we've been to. Seems a lot of ships follow the same cruise path.

Ok... You have made your point, Carnival sucks and should close up.

Thanks very much ... Enjoy your perfect in every way cruise lines

Ok... You have made your point, Carnival sucks and should close up.

Thanks very much ... Enjoy your perfect in every way cruise lines

No, the Carnival line doesn't suck. It's just a lot of pax from their ships who seem to can't wait to get to all the bars at the ports of call can really make the cruiseline look a bit crappy. I DO like to people watch & at times it's really interesting to see how the pax behave when they get off their respective ships. Sorry if it offends you, but take some time & watch pax from each line. Carnival is not where I find to be a sophisticated lot of pax overall. I'd suggest you go to Youtube & type in cruiseship fights. Funny how they all seem to be from Carnival.

I'd suggest you go to Youtube & type in cruiseship fights. Funny how they all seem to be from Carnival.

Well! Crack me up - I just did what you suggested and really cracked up - you are right - all the fights are on Carnival ships - unbelievable!!!!! (& sad!)

Oh no- nobody get´s bored- there are so many options for you. You will be asked twice a day if you want to buy a drink pacage. Three times a day if you want to dine in a Speciality Restaurant. A hundered times if you want take a discounted Spa Treatment- if it all fails- BINGO - always an option! No just kidding!

I am never bored- well I love to read my book wether on deck or in one of the Lounges.

And the Daily is always full of things to do.

Edited by Germancruiser