Lighter Fluid allowed on HAL?

Avril

I have a refillable, windproof, waterproof lighter that I use for cruising (I'm a smoker). I'm sailing on the Nieuw Amsterdam in November and am wondering if I could bring a bottle of lighter fluid onboard (in my checked luggage of course) so I can refill it during the cruise if I need to. It's a 13 day cruise so I'ma bit worried about wether it hold enough fuel for that long without having to refill it.

Thanks!! :D

Hi Avril,

I asked HAL for more clarification rather than seeing you just get a "no" answer.

Here's what I got starting with your same question. I blanked out the agent's name as it's not really relevant to the contact:

Chat Transcript

Welcome to Holland America Line. We offer Chat service in English only. Please wait while we contact our next available agent...

You are now speaking with _______!

_______: Hello, how can I help you today?

Customer: I have a refillable, windproof, waterproof lighter that I use for cruising (I'm a smoker). I'm sailing on the Nieuw Amsterdam in November and am wondering if I could bring a bottle of lighter fluid onboard (in my checked luggage of course) so I can refill it during the cruise if I need to. It's a 13 day cruise so I'm a bit worried about whether it hold enough fuel for that long without having to refill it.

_______: I'm sorry, but we do not allow any incendiary-based liquids to be brought onboard the ship (unless in a self-contained holder such as your lighter). You may want to look into getting lighter fluid and topping off when you're in one of the ports of call).

Customer: okay, so either buy and refill in port or just bring a second lighter if I prefer to go that route? (I assume that would be allowed too if I just brought a 2nd one?)

_______: It would, yes.

Customer: okay thank you. I appreciate the clarification. Have a great day

_______: You also.

_______: Thank you for contacting us. It was my pleasure to assist you today, and I hope that I have been able to answer all of your questions. If you have any more questions always feel free to call or chat with us, again my name is _______. Have a wonderful day!

Thank you for using Live Help. You may now close this window.

Your session has ended. You may now close this window.

Edited by InTheWASide

no!!

WOW, no need to be so rude and snarky, it was just a question!!

Hi Avril,

I asked HAL for more clarification rather than seeing you just get a "no" answer.

Here's what I got starting with your same question. I blanked out the agent's name as it's not really relevant to the contact:

Thank you so much!! :D I totally understand for safety reasons (which I do take very seriously), I just thought I'd ask. I think I'll buy another one (and bring both obviously) so I don't need to worry about running out. :)

Edited by Avril

Sorry Mr Smoker... you are out of luck. Even on the aircraft, lighter fluid are not are allowed. And you know you can't take it in your hand baggage.

HAL will not allow... checked or not.

I know you like your Zippos. We all did! Got a whole box of them.... mostly never used! s.s. ROTTERDAM Zippos and lots of other ship. I should put them on Ebay!

Back to your problem. No fluid allowed. No point in taking two or three filled Zippos... by the time you need it the fluid will have evaporated. Just pick three or four Bic lighters. Only best answer.

Just in case.... Zippos are a hazard! The fluid can leak. It is also to accidentally to drop it... the cover opens and can hit the flint and cause it to ignite. A real hazard for sure. No BS.

And... no.... I mean NO... never put your zippo in your pants pocket... especially of you are flying. Happened to me a few times. In mid flight I felt a burning sensation on my leg. Went to the toilet and there on my upper leg... a red, burning rash. It was the fluid and caused the rash. Took a few days to stop the burn.

Oh... another problem.... you cannot buy Bic lighters on board. HAL are not allowed to store them in any space on board. Too many regulations...

On board, the bar tender can give you matches.

Good luck!

Sorry Mr Smoker... you are out of luck. Even on the aircraft, lighter fluid are not are allowed. And you know you can't take it in your hand baggage.

HAL will not allow... checked or not.

I know you like your Zippos. We all did! Got a whole box of them.... mostly never used! s.s. ROTTERDAM Zippos and lots of other ship. I should put them on Ebay!

Back to your problem. No fluid allowed. No point in taking two or three filled Zippos... by the time you need it the fluid will have evaporated. Just pick three or four Bic lighters. Only best answer.

Just in case.... Zippos are a hazard! The fluid can leak. It is also to accidentally to drop it... the cover opens and can hit the flint and cause it to ignite. A real hazard for sure. No BS.

And... no.... I mean NO... never put your zippo in your pants pocket... especially of you are flying. Happened to me a few times. In mid flight I felt a burning sensation on my leg. Went to the toilet and there on my upper leg... a red, burning rash. It was the fluid and caused the rash. Took a few days to stop the burn.

Oh... another problem.... you cannot buy Bic lighters on board. HAL are not allowed to store them in any space on board. Too many regulations...

On board, the bar tender can give you matches.

Good luck!

You can't take lighters thru security.

Go straight to the internet and look up what FAA says about it.

You can take as many lighters in you checked baggage.... IF.... they are EMPTY! And they mean not just EMPTY... they mean never used with fluid before... no fumes etc.

You are allowed ONE lighter on your person. ONE.

Fluid? NO, not allowed checked or non checked.

OK.... that is a new one. Have not used one since the last century.

Still, matches are available from the bar tenders.

I'm sorry, I should be more specific. You can't bring it thru airport security. I've heard people complain. I don't smoke so its not first hand experience.

There's no reason a lighter or two wouldn't be allowed in checked baggage

Actually there is a reason: (check out the FAA guidelines) You can check lighters only if you buy a special FAA-approved airtight container, otherwise only 1 lighter is allowed in carry-on.

https://www.faa.gov/about/office_org/headquarters_offices/ash/ash_programs/hazmat/passenger_info/media/airline_passengers_lighters_faq.pdf

You mean you can't bring a charcoal grill to HMC?:rolleyes: Darn, come on the OP ask a legitimate question, no reason to get snippy.

When I saw the thread title my first thought was barbecue too! And the second thought was about bringing a blender on board....

You can't bring it thru airport security.

Actually, you can. I do it all the time, not a problem. Always have it in plain sight in either my bag or jacket pocket.

OK.... that is a new one. Have not used one since the last century.

Still, matches are available from the bar tenders.

Regarding the last two words in your post - Did you put a space in by accident, or did they add beverage service to the tenders? If it's the latter, we'll really be looking forward to those tender ports. ;)

Would the beverage staff on the tenders be tender bartenders, or bartenders²?

Actually, you can. I do it all the time, not a problem. Always have it in plain sight in either my bag or jacket pocket.

For a long time you couldn't in Canada. I've heard people bitterly complaining. If that's changed I'll take your word for it.

Regarding the last two words in your post - Did you put a space in by accident, or did they add beverage service to the tenders? If it's the latter, we'll really be looking forward to those tender ports. ;)

Would the beverage staff on the tenders be tender bartenders, or bartenders²?

Neither. I was stuttering.;)

Would you like bartenders on the tenders? Even better!:)

For a long time you couldn't in Canada. I've heard people bitterly complaining. If that's changed I'll take your word for it.

I've done it in both Canada and the US (haven't boarded a plane in Europe so I have no idea but I'm assuming it's the same there), no problem. :) Of course, I'm only 30 so maybe this is a relatively recent thing you're able to do, might have been different before I was born or when I was really young.

Oh, slightly off topic (sorry) but just something that came to mind. You can still smoke on your balcony right? You could on my New Years cruise but don't know if it's changed in the 2-3 months since then.

I've done it in both Canada and the US (haven't boarded a plane in Europe so I have no idea but I'm assuming it's the same there), no problem. :) Of course, I'm only 30 so maybe this is a relatively recent thing you're able to do, might have been different before I was born or when I was really young.

Oh, slightly off topic (sorry) but just something that came to mind. You can still smoke on your balcony right? You could on my New Years cruise but don't know if it's changed in the 2-3 months since then.

I'm 54 so I'm not talking about the days when we rode around in stagecoaches. I told you what I've heard. I'm not a smoker so I don't have any personal experience. My experince came from about 5 years ago. I have a friend that smokes so I will ask her if I see her. Many times traveling to the USA is much more difficult than travelling from the USA to Canada.