how to see El Yunque

lbylore

This is one of the few cases in which I would recommend a ship's excursion. Your problem is not so much cost but time. You should count on at least 90 minutes roundtrip and that's assuming nothing goes wrong.

This would give time to visit probably Yokahu Tower, La Coca Falls, and maybe one other spot. If it is your first visit and if you like nature it will likely whet your appetite for more. I first saw El Yunque on a half-day tour and have since spent several days there.

With a 1 PM departure, which I assume means 12:30 on-board time, this leaves you very little leeway for anything going wrong, let alone seeing Old San Juan itself. This is another reason to recommend the ship's excursion, which supposedly will hold the ship for you in the event of a mishap.

I really wish we had more time so disappointed for a 9 night cruise to only have such a limited time!! You really think it's a bad idea for us to rent a car and do it ourselves? Do people do it? We are use to doing our own thing?

I really wish we had more time so disappointed for a 9 night cruise to only have such a limited time!! You really think it's a bad idea for us to rent a car and do it ourselves? Do people do it? We are use to doing our own thing?

I was going to tell you that you could grab a cab, and get a short tour in, but when you say rent a car, I will tell you there is no way to do it. You are tight on time with a cab, but when you add the hour that it will take to rent and return a car, you simply do not have enough time.

I would do a ship excursion. It us about 60 minutes each way from old San Juan. There are no car rental places right there, the closest you would gave to call a shuttle both ways...with that short of a stop, I would simply explore old San Juan and the forts, it is very beautiful there!

As for a cab, from what I have read, they have to have a special pass to get into the rainforest, most do not have that and you are still looking at least at 2 hours travel time barring any issues

Royal Caribbean does offer an excursion to the rainforest which I may consider it will be around $150 for the 3 of us. I'm not sure if it's worth that or not. I was also wondering if there are any buses that will take you there.

Thanks

I faced this dilemma and my ship is in san juan 7a to 2p in November. 3 tour guides told me not to chance it. I was disappointed but am content with seeing the forts that day. To me it isn't worth it knowing that you could miss the ship. And I have an hour more than you. We usually do our own thing and avoid ship excursions but in this case, maybe it may be worth it.

I was just looking into what we can see in Old San Juan. It seems you can walk around there for free or take the free trolley. Wasn't really to excited to see the forts. What else is there that is nice to see and do?

Edited by lbylore

I was just looking into what we can see in Old San Juan. It seems you can walk around there for free or take the free trolley. Wasn't really to excited to see the forts. What else is there that is nice to see and do?

DD and I spent a day in January just walking. OSJ isn't really that big. WE did a quick walk through of the forts, lots of gorgeous views from each one. Then we walked the Paseo Del Morro through the San Juan gate. We wandered in and out of the little shops and found the Parque de las Palomas and fed the pigeons.

My DH and I went through our options as discussed in the thread and we will probably do OSJ. We have never been there before and he didn't want to feel rushed to and back from the forest. I was also wondering what there was to see outside of OSJ that wasn't to far? Thanks