Bamboo Restaurant on the Dawn, how is the food ?

JCMass.

We have been on the Dawn once, we walked by Bamboo several times and there were very few people inside. We love all types of Asian food, we were surprised to see so few people in the restaurant. We thought we might try it this time, how is the food ? I understand it is no longer a specialty restaurant.

We always enjoyed the Bamboo oe Chin Chin or some ships. However, as of last week they have made the Asian restaurants free, which would be great if the menu and food were the same. New menu with fewer choices. Maybe only four or five main courses and all the good desserts are gone. Plus the food was awful. I am not a very picky eTer but neither DH nor I could eat our entrees. I have seriously had better Chinese food in TV dinners. Such a shame because I used to enjoy this restaurant so much.

We have been on the Dawn once, we walked by Bamboo several times and there were very few people inside. We love all types of Asian food, we were surprised to see so few people in the restaurant. We thought we might try it this time, how is the food ? I understand it is no longer a specialty restaurant.

We were on the Dawn In early March and really enjoyed the Bamboo then. Service and food were good, and like you noticed it wasn't very busy. From reading a recent post the menus have scaled down with the removal of the upcharge fee. We are hopeful the food & service will still be good, but will miss the more extensive menu.

We've enjoyed the Asian restaurants on both Jade and Pearl. On both cruises, it was the one specialty restaurant we repeated. I'm not sure why they never got a lot of traffic, but we just counted that as a blessing. Sorry to hear the menu is shrinking with the up charge removal, though. If they've dropped the creme brûlée flight, I'll be very saddened.

Yes, the dropped the crime brûlée flight as well as the pancakes.

I remember that the bbq pork buns and shrimp appetizer are gone, as is the egg drop soup. The portion size is much smaller and strangely enough, when DH and I each ordered the same entree, the waitress said it wasn't necessary as the entrees were sized for two people.

The spring rolls are now egg rolls, which were good, but their new sweet and sour sauce is the thick, cornstarchy tasting kind and served in a very small portion.

We always ate at the Asian restaurant twice on each cruise and are truly saddened by the change, :(

I'd like to see the menus too, but what happened to the sushi bar? Is it still there?

I ate at the sushi bar on Saturday night. I ordered 2 basic rolls and my total was $7.50

Here was my review from our sailing on the Dawn...pre upcharge change and original menu.

Bamboo

Day 5: Again we all went as a family and the food was good. it was nothing special but it was not terrible. The kids ate all of their Sweet and Sour pork, despite having little sweet and sour sauce. Oh there was a big bowl of onions, peppers and pineapple but the actual amount of sauce was small, but they had enough. Had the shredded chicken and spicy beef in orange sauce. Again a good family meal overall. A middle of the road Asian eatery.

Ok, so the a la carte sushi bar is still a la carte... good to know.

Also know that even if eating at Teppenyaki or Bamboo you can order the sushi delivered to your table, no need to be sitting at the bar.

We always enjoyed the Bamboo oe Chin Chin or some ships. However, as of last week they have made the Asian restaurants free, which would be great if the menu and food were the same. New menu with fewer choices. Maybe only four or five main courses and all the good desserts are gone. Plus the food was awful. I am not a very picky eTer but neither DH nor I could eat our entrees. I have seriously had better Chinese food in TV dinners. Such a shame because I used to enjoy this restaurant so much.

That's too bad.

I am going to be on the Dawn soon, and I would have enjoyed this restaurant.

I didn't even need to see your review to know that the food quality would go WAY downhill if it was made free.

I think I'll avoid it.

To be honest, the Asain restaurants on NCL ships, when they were specialty dining were very good, but just off the Pearl and now the Asian is free the qualtiy isn't nearly as good. The choices have been cut way back. Don't get me wrong, we did eat there 2 nights on our 10 day cruise and it was not awful by anymeans, but just nothing like the days of specialty dining.

Dang, which ship were you on? I can't believe we cruised at the same time but on difference ships. Hopefully next time we will be together. Our food was not as bad as yours obviously but yes, it was a disappointment.

We were really disappointed with it a couple of years ago on the Dawn. Just mediocre strip mall take out quality. I know some excellent strip mall take out joints, so I'm not knocking that aspect of it -- it just seemed simultaneously oversalted and not particularly flavorful. The Chinese options in the buffet were better.

Of course that's 3 dishes on one particular evening two years ago - but it was enough that we haven't been back since.

Whatever is new on the free Asian menu is nothing compared to this menu from the old Dawn (2005) that I managed to track down from other source - some of the old items then weren't bad - especially compared to "recent" offerings in the past several years for the fleet's Asian restaurants.

-

Peking Duck fans, you can find it at Ocean Blue, for a cover charge + autogratuity, additional tipping not included.

-

I will settle for Wonton soup, easy enough - used to get that at Blue Lagoon but that's unavailable either, but one can get Chicken Noodles Soup off the Room Service Menu, with a delivery charge. Now, I wondered but most likely - no chopped green onions or scallions with the soup since that's an all American choice. One just need to go with minimal expectations and will then be surprised ...

Another recent review mentioned that you get speedy services, everything ordered will come out all at once - wow, except dessert - so, maybe those in a hurry to see a show can be in & out in 45 minutes, if NCL can fixed the long lines waiting to get in.

-

What to do? What to do? I think we will skip it for the time being. :(

Edited by mking8288

Nita, good to see you on the boards! We were on the Jewel. I just could not believe the change in quality! I will say, it was the first week of the free aspect, so maybe they haven't refined their new menus, but why change. Something as simple as sweet and sour?

Hope yall are doing well.

Georgia

Nita, good to see you on the boards! We were on the Jewel. I just could not believe the change in quality! I will say, it was the first week of the free aspect, so maybe they haven't refined their new menus, but why change. Something as simple as sweet and sour?

Hope yall are doing well.

Georgia

It was the first week and hopefully before we sail next Oct things will improve. I just didn't think it was quite as bad as your experience, but I too was a little disappointed. Hubby will eat anything so he thought the soup was fine, I skipped it and stuck with the appetizers. We did notice the entrees all tasted similar. If it doesn't improve I have a feeling the days of Asian dining on NCL will be days gone by.