What specialty restaurant would you like to see NCL add?

bangzoom6877

How about a fondue place? Like The Melting Pot. I thought the authentic 50's diner was a cool idea :). LOVE the deli idea. As for the fast food places, I personally would prefer they stay on land... I like to cruise and feel like I'm FAR from home and work...not right around the corner :cool::eek:. About the only land based places I could deal with are the coffee shops (Dunkin and Starbucks). With RCCL having snagged Starbucks, I am amazed another line hasn't snagged DD.

Edited by Kenlorz

Not sure about the Mexican restaurant. It seems like decent authentic Mexican can be found everywhere. At one time in the age of Chi Chi's I would have agreed with the Mexican concept. Who's town doesn't have at least a couple Mexican restaurant's there?

I love the German Biergarten concept. The place in Epcot is a good place to pattern it after.

There is a place called Qsine on Celebrity ships which is a neat restaurant that serves little tapas type food.

Maybe a place that serves Indian, Mediterranean, Ethiopian, and Middle Eastern cuisine?

Mexican would be great but not that awful slop they tried to pass off as Mexican Tex/Mex. We have enjoyed just about everything on our ncl cruises but that place was a big YUCK. I would like to see them try it again. I would gladly give it a whirl.

Senior frogs would be a welcome addition for me

*Living Large*

Well Margaritaville is going to be on the Escape. That's pretty cool.

I don't think both a Margaritaville and Senor Frog's is going to be together.

Edited by DreamingBig1

Greek

Fondue

Dunkin donuts

Greek and fondue should be free too!!!! Lol

Dunkin should be same price as on land because the lines will be very long for it anyway so if it were free the lines would just be impossible.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Let's have a little fun! What specialty restaurant(s) would you love NCL to add to their ships? It could be a specific cuisine, or something created by a celebrity chef, or anything else you'd like to see. I'll go first!

Belgian..think pots of mussels, Belgian beer, waffles for dessert!

German...think sauerbraten, various schnitzels, German sausages, apple strudel, German beer

Greek...think moussaka, souvlaki, spinach pie, baklava, Greek wine and Ouzo!

Your turn...what would you like to see? :)

For us the choice we now have is just fine. If there are too many specialty dining rooms added no one will be in the MDRs and the specialty ones won't be full either. If I had to see one more added it would be a seafood one. Many are saying Mexican, when they had a Mexican restaurant on the Star and the Jewel they were pretty unauthetic. Maybe turn O'Sheehans into a real NY deli would be a good idea.

Edited by newmexicoNita

Not sure about the Mexican restaurant. It seems like decent authentic Mexican can be found everywhere. At one time in the age of Chi Chi's I would have agreed with the Mexican concept. Who's town doesn't have at least a couple Mexican restaurant's there?

I love the German Biergarten concept. The place in Epcot is a good place to pattern it after.

There is a place called Qsine on Celebrity ships which is a neat restaurant that serves little tapas type food.

Maybe a place that serves Indian, Mediterranean, Ethiopian, and Middle Eastern cuisine?

The Biergarten in Epcot is our favorite Disney World restaurant! It would be great to have a place just like that, with live music and a German buffet, but a good authentic German a la carte menu would suffice. I would gladly pay to go to a place like that on a cruise ship.

Yes, a real Jewish deli would be nice. Add Knishes to that list of foods too!

I remember Le Bistro back in 2002 the first time DH and I ate there. They had foix gras as an available topping for the filet mignon...it was the first time we ate that and it was amazing! I wish they would bring back some of the old menu items too.

I miss the Mexican too. We ate at Salsas on the Dawn in 2004. It was complimentary back then, as was the Italian restaurant. Salsas had delicious food, and their spicy foods were actually spicy...a pleasant surprise for DH since usually when they indicate spicy on a menu, it's a medium spicy and not a really hot spicy.

I've never eaten in the Asian restaurants on NCL, so I'm not sure if any of them offer Thai dishes, but I'll add Thai to the cuisines I'd like to see. It's not my favorite but DH loves it.

A real treat would be a NY style Kosher deli! Love the matozah ball soup, knishes and deli meats!

I would vote for a fondue place like Melting Pot. We have a few different teppanyaki type places where I live, but the nearest fondue place is like 90 minutes away. We've never been because 1) it's on the more expensive side and 2) we aren't too sure if we would love it enough but I know we'd try it on a cruise, even as an upcharge place.

Tex-Mex would be good too. We love fajitas and fresh tortillas and salsa and chips. Nothing too fancy, but a place that served those would def. hit the spot.

Sorry, but if you went to the melting pot once, you would realize it's not very good. After going once, it was fun, but food wasn't very good. I love chocolate, but marshmallows and dry pound cake dipped in chocolate was disgusting.

Ha! I guess I won't put it on my list of things to do then. We weren't too impressed with the teppanyaki place here either. The food was ok, but not something I'd ever pay that much for again. The experience was fun and if I ever get the UDP with NCL I'm sure I'd be up for trying their versions for the entertainment, if nothing else.

How about a frozen yogurt type place? We enjoy those at home and I'm sure an upcharge (small upcharge!) place like that would do well on cruise ships.

Ha! I guess I won't put it on my list of things to do then. We weren't too impressed with the teppanyaki place here either. The food was ok, but not something I'd ever pay that much for again. The experience was fun and if I ever get the UDP with NCL I'm sure I'd be up for trying their versions for the entertainment, if nothing else.

How about a frozen yogurt type place? We enjoy those at home and I'm sure an upcharge (small upcharge!) place like that would do well on cruise ships.

I would prefer a Haagen Daz that also sells frozen custard style yogurt. Not the watery free stuff from the machines usually on the pool or buffet deck.

Good Mexican would be a great addition. I love the idea of frozen yogurt, like a Red Mango-type place where you can put your own toppings on.

Imagine the madness! This would (maybe) only work if it was for an upcharge, but not much. If they charge a certain price per ounce like the self-serve frozen yogurt places do, it would probably be more controlled.

How about a casual French Brasserie that serves items like quiche Lorraine, Croque Monsieur, and crepes (both savory and sweet)? Maybe utilize Le Bistro at lunchtime for this, so they don't have to add another restaurant, just another meal to an already existing French restaurant.

As a matter of fact, it would be nice to see specialty restaurants have a lunch menu at a reduced price. Maybe each day of the cruise, a different specialty restaurant is open with a special lunch menu. Would look something like this:

Day 1: Cagney's special lunch menu (gourmet burgers, steak sandwiches, regular steaks, etc.)

Day 2: Le Bistro (casual French fare as I described above)

Day 3: Il Moderno (with a churrascaria selection)

Day 5: Teppanyaki

Day 6: La Cucina (gourmet pizzas, hero sandwiches, small pasta dishes)

Day 7: Special multi-course Indian lunch menu, which would take place inside one of the existing specialty restaurants

If they charge a certain price per ounce like the self-serve frozen yogurt places do, it would probably be more controlled.

Agreed! I assumed that there would be an upcharge. Also, they'd probably need to have an age-requirement where kids under a certain age can only purchase if they are with an adult. Otherwise they'd have a giant mess, and kids, at least mine, would have a bowl full of m&m's!

Agreed! I assumed that there would be an upcharge. Also, they'd probably need to have an age-requirement where kids under a certain age can only purchase if they are with an adult. Otherwise they'd have a giant mess, and kids, at least mine, would have a bowl full of m&m's!

Excellent idea! Children under 18 years of age must be accompanied by an adult 21 or over.

As a matter of fact, it would be nice to see specialty restaurants have a lunch menu at a reduced price. Maybe each day of the cruise, a different specialty restaurant is open with a special lunch menu. Would look something like this:

Day 1: Cagney's special lunch menu (gourmet burgers, steak sandwiches, regular steaks, etc.)

Day 2: Le Bistro (casual French fare as I described above)

Day 3: Il Moderno (with a churrascaria selection)

Day 5: Teppanyaki

Day 6: La Cucina (gourmet pizzas, hero sandwiches, small pasta dishes)

Day 7: Special multi-course Indian lunch menu, which would take place inside one of the existing specialty restaurants

I love this idea (except I would switch out the Indian lunch for a Mexican lunch or a lunch that would depict the area we are cruising in; i.e., Caribbean, Mediterranean, Greek, etc.) and would be willing to pay for it...they could have a ULP (Ultimate Lunch Package).

The problem with a speciality resaturant is they take up a lot of space for the amount of hours in use.

An idea might be an extended buffet area with themed sections that can be in use or all 3 meals in a day.

Works quite well for the italian on jewel class as that seating gets used as overflow for breakfast and lunch.

I was thinking that maybe they'd have one size cup to keep it simple and I think a charge of $5 per cup would be fair. Similar to special pricing our local froyo place has. Right now they have a 12 oz cup for $4 on Wed, Thurs. and Fri. There is a huge profit on it all, even the toppings, which is why they're popping up all over the place on land.

Does NCL allow you to block charging privileges on board (or set a daily limit) carnival on individuals/minors like Carnival does?