Missing Tracy Arm small boat excursion - DISAPPOINTED, Any other ideas?

poolwife

Really important to do the research ahead of time and I usually do BUT for our upcoming trip on May 12 on the Celebrity Millennium I didn't. Life has been nutsy crazy this year that I have not given it the attention that I usually do and now we are leaving in just a few weeks.

I initially booked it because the ship is going to Sitka which is my husband's favorite Alaska port and we haven't been there since our first time in 2001. I thought good way to get him back to Alaska one more time.

I wanted a cruise to just enjoy the scenery and not have to get off the ship in 7days so I thought this 10 night itinerary fit the bill.

It also goes to Tracy Arm and I thought great also because we haven't been there and I definitely wanted to take that small boat excursion.

Well, I just recently found out that it isn't offered until the end of May. I was so bummed and majorly disappointed.

So, we will get to go to Sitka and enjoy the scenery on our 10 night cruise but since I won't be able to get my husband back to Alaska for many years, I will definitely have to be a little smarter in picking one that goes to Tracy Arm next time.

Husband is tired of going to Alaska and although he did the Caribbean last year he likes warm weather cruising better. I like to alternate.

So lesson learned - Research it all. Got a good deal on this one booking it off a previous Celebrity cruise last year and lots of OBC so got swayed because it was going to Sitka.

This is the first cruise also that I don't have everything planned for every port.

Have done the white pass train in Skagway and Mendenhall glacier in Juneau and the tram.

Anyone got any good and different excursions that you just loved that we shouldn't miss out on? Please help.

Thank you.

Sherry

Try Adventure Bound Alaska for an excursion in Juneau to Tracy Arm is a small boat. It will take all day but looking at your itinerary, you have all day:

http://www.adventureboundalaska.com

It is the best excursion I have done in Alaska, ever, on all of my cruises there. It is also reasonably priced IMO considering the length of the excursion.

Thank you. I will. I called Allen Marine tours and they don't start Tracy Arm until the end of May.

I have done 2 trips with Adventure Bound to Alaska in mid May. Unfortunately, both times, we did not make it to the glaciers at the end. After saying that, I thoroughly enjoyed both trips and they rank as my favorite excursion and I would go again, hands down.

First time, there were just chunks of huge ice in the water. Due to time (2 of us had to catch a ship) we didn't make it all the way there. The Captain (Steve/owner) made the trip worth while though. He took us directly up to the ice so we could touch it, we stopped for bears, whales, went to waterfalls, etc.. It was a great day.

Second time, - he knew we couldn't make it so he took us to Endicott Arm instead. Again, we stopped for bears, we saw a huge pod of orcas and watched them for 30 minutes, we did get close to Endicott Arm and saw Ford's Terror.

I apparently am incredibly unlucky as I have attempted Tracy Arm 4x and have not yet to see it. I promise you if you go with Adventure Bound and still miss Tracy Arm, you will still have a fabulous day.

I do know Adventure Bound does start earlier than Allen Marine. Hopefully it works out for you.

Edited by Coral

They should change their web site then .... it says May 19 is the start date :

http://allenmarinetours.com/sightseeing/juneau/tours/glacier-fjord/round-trip.html

It is correct.

I was referencing the May 19 start date because the OP commented that the tours don't start until the end of May.

<<< I just recently found out that it isn't offered until the end of May>>>

Other readers might think the tour doesn't start until May 30.

I was referencing the May 19 start date because the OP commented that the tours don't start until the end of May.

<<< I just recently found out that it isn't offered until the end of May>>>

Other readers might think the tour doesn't start until May 30.

Yep- "end" can have many meanings. Your post has cleared that up. :)

I'm not sure how much earlier they start but Adventure Bound is sailing on Friday May 22 because I'm booked with them. Hopefully they start early enough for you to book also. I've done this multiple times and love this excursion.