The dinnertime experiment on the Triumph

Honolulu Blue

On my extended cruise on the Triumph in February, I was apparently in the middle of an experiment. My previous cruises had the MDR dinner times as 6 and 8:15 and I thought this was standard throughout the Carnival fleet, since I hadn't read any reviews that said anything different.

But this cruise was different. Dinners were served at 5:15 and 7:30 every day. The buffet served dinner 5:30-9:00 each night (as opposed to 6:30-9:30 on my other trips). Guy's still served their burgers until 6 and I don't think the deli adjusted their hours. I quizzed Guest Services about this and they said it would continue throughout this cruise (which it did) and the next (the 12-day Colombia/Panama run), but go back to 6 and 8:15 for their regular cruises that followed.

One assumes the reason for the adjusted times is to accommodate the likely composition of the guests and their, um, experience. :) But that's just speculation on my part and not to be taken seriously. For the record, I liked the earlier dining times because I'm used to eating dinner early at home and I'm not even all that experienced. :D

So... I guess I can ask a couple of questions:

1) Has anyone taken a cruise recently (other than the infamous Triumph B2B2B I described above) where the dinner times were adjusted?

and

2) Do you think it's likely that they will try this experiment again on other ships in the Carnival Journeys group?

Thanks as always for reading. You may now go back to the latest FTTF thread.

Intersting post. This is the first I have heard of this, but the trial method has been used recently in several different areas, some of which we have experienced (unlimited internet service and fun hub expansion). Cruising is changing and at a more frequent timeframe then in the past. My guess is that a Journey's cruise (with the higher number of more frequent cruisers - read that as Platinum and Diamond) make for good test beds for these types of things.

What was your take on the different times?

Glad we always go for late seating.

I remember being on one cruise where they adjusted the times, but I don't think the early was that early. Found it - on our 8 day Alaska cruise, Early Seating was 5:30pm and late 7:45pm.

We also had adjusted dining times for our Alaskan cruise last year. I think they were the same as yours: 5:30 and 7:45.

We also had adjusted dining times for our Alaskan cruise last year. I think they were the same as yours: 5:30 and 7:45.

On Alaskan cruises, you can take a shore excursion after dinner since it stays light out. I know we did it and it was strange for it to be light out when we returned to the ship around 11PM. Our dinner time was not adjusted but we had told our maitre'd about our tour the day before and he was able to seat us at early dinner so we could make our tour. The change in dinner times could be due to shore excursions.

MARAPRINCE

Edited by Maraprince

Thanks everyone. I should note that the YTD times were 5:15-9:00, as opposed to the 5:45-9:30 standard.

It's interesting they've done the earlier dining times on at least some sailings in Alaska. That tends to be a more mature group, so perhaps that's why they do it there.

Thanks everyone. I should note that the YTD times were 5:15-9:00, as opposed to the 5:45-9:30 standard.

It's interesting they've done the earlier dining times on at least some sailings in Alaska. That tends to be a more mature group, so perhaps that's why they do it there.

Not really. Alaska sailings have many more people out on excursions from the time the ship docks until it sails. Also, there are after dinner excursions as well. Having earlier dining times interfers less with the after dinner excursions and allows passengers to eat in the MDR instead of overloading the buffets.

MARAPRINCE

I believe that I read somewhere on JH's page a while ago that they were trying some different times for early and late seating because of the show times. He was asking quesions about if you were able to get to the show you wanted or not because of your dinner time. So, it may be been something like that.

I believe that I read somewhere on JH's page a while ago that they were trying some different times for early and late seating because of the show times. He was asking quesions about if you were able to get to the show you wanted or not because of your dinner time. So, it may be been something like that.

This is a more plausible reason.

5:15? That is WAY too early. Why do they continue to fix things that aren't broken? Are they trying to accommodate MTD? Reminds me of the letters they regularly send out for embarkation to arrive late to accommodate FTTF and the VIP members.

Too bad they can't just address what really is their problem: C R O W D C O T R O L.

No other line I sail has issues moving people along, the most successful being Disney

There may be something to this. I reviewed my Fun Times for the show times. Most of the "big" shows had times at 7:30 (for early seating) and 9:30 (for late seating). A couple were one time only at 10. I recall on other cruises having shows that started at 7 (for late seating) and 9 (for early seating). Not all, but some.

I was also on the triumph in Feb with the earlier dining times. I HATED it. 5:15 is way too early for dinner. Missed sail away in almost every port because of it.

I am sailing on the Triumph again in October. I hope they will be back on the old dining schedule.

I was also on the triumph in Feb with the earlier dining times. I HATED it. 5:15 is way too early for dinner. Missed sail away in almost every port because of it.

I am sailing on the Triumph again in October. I hope they will be back on the old dining schedule.

Will you be on the Oct 10th cruise by chance?[emoji171]