Soda package vs bringing your own onboard

ellis101

Hi all

I don't post often, but do read a lot but still confused about this topic.

We have booked a cruise with a few of us for next year. The two other staterooms opted for the ubp, but as my other half and our boy don't really drink alcohol or soda/fizzy drinks we opted for OBC.

Now, I do like Pepsi, and I would like the odd alcoholic drink. Can I get the soda package or drinks package just for me or do all our stateroom need to have the package? On the ncl website it says all, but I am sure people have said when at sea I could get it just for me.

The alternative is to bring my own cans/bottles onboard. We are flying in from the UK so will need to find somewhere in Miami to buy the drinks from. Can anyone offer any advice on what type of Pepsi/water I should buy? What size? Cans or bigger bottles? and how many/much I can take on board please?

Thanks for your help :-)

Whatever you can handle in your checked or carry-on luggage - you can bring as many as you like in bottle or can, you can even bring a case(s) of it with a luggage tag(s) on it. The choice is really yours.

Thanks maywell. I'm leaning towards doing this if I can find somewhere in Miami to buy my week long stash!

Or if anyone can confirm I can get soda package just for me that will be infinitely easier!

Hi all

We have booked a cruise with a few of us for next year. The two other staterooms opted for the ubp, but as my other half and our boy don't really drink alcohol or soda/fizzy drinks we opted for OBC.

Now, I do like Pepsi, and I would like the odd alcoholic drink. Can I get the soda package or drinks package just for me or do all our stateroom need to have the package? On the ncl website it says all, but I am sure people have said when at sea I could get it just for me.

The alternative is to bring my own cans/bottles onboard. We are flying in from the UK so will need to find somewhere in Miami to buy the drinks from. Can anyone offer any advice on what type of Pepsi/water I should buy? What size? Cans or bigger bottles? and how many/much I can take on board please?

You can buy individual soda packages when you arrive on board, you don't have to buy it for the whole cabin.

Generally the drink package (UBP) has to be purchased for all passengers in the cabin.

There is no need to try to track down soda prior to boarding.

Excellent news! This would be my preference but I refuse to pay for three people when I will be the only one drinking it. I can then use the OBC to buy my drinks which is what I was hoping I could do!

Cheers

Agree vince! But means less pressure to buy a weeks worth haha

You can purchase sodas at any of the ports. You don't need to take a weeks supply when you board.

Cans fit better in the room refrigerator than the larger bottles.

Edited by swedish weave

I would switch to the UBP. Because you only get $200 OBC (well, depending on what room you're booking?) and the beverage package is for 2 people and valued at around $385 x 2 = $770 + soda package for other 2 passengers - $97. So that's a $867 value (for a 7 day cruise.)

So say you bring your own soda and water for the whole group - let's estimate $40. A cab to take you to a grocery- $20. The fact that you're probably still have about 2 drinks a day (for just you) - $120. Plus you can also get virgin forms of the alcoholic drinks. So for about $180 you'd buy/bring your own. Is a $20 difference between this cost and your OBC really worth the hassle of bringing your own sodas? And having to get them from your room every time you want one? Not at all in my POV.

Switch to UBP.

Edited by Bluefox

I would switch to the UBP. Because you only get $200 OBC (well, depending on what room you're booking?) and the beverage package is for 2 people and valued at around $385 x 2 = $770 + soda package for other 2 passengers - $97. So that's a $867 value (for a 7 day cruise.)

So say you bring your own soda and water for the whole group - let's estimate $40. A cab to take you to a grocery- $20. The fact that you're probably still have about 2 drinks a day (for just you) - $120. Plus you can also get virgin forms of the alcoholic drinks. So for about $180 you'd buy/bring your own. Is a $20 difference between this cost and your OBC really worth the hassle of bringing your own sodas? And having to get them from your room every time you want one? Not at all in my POV.

Switch to UBP.

I hope you are joking !!!!!!!!!! You can buy sodas within a couple of blocks of the dock. A twelve pack of soda is usually under five dollars.

Honestly the ubp is not worth it for us as a 'freebie', my wife and boy will drink the juices /water from the restaurants and I don't really drink enough alcohol per day. The OBC we can use on multiple things across our cruise. The ubp is totally worth it for drinkers.

I think I will go with soda package on board plus take us some cans and water onboard for our room. I can use OBC to buy to the occasional beer and we might go to one speciality restaurant while onboard as well.

I hope you are joking !!!!!!!!!! You can buy sodas within a couple of blocks of the dock. A twelve pack of soda is usually under five dollars.

Right- but I know people who drink bottled water and sodas all day. A 12 pack of liter water of Evian is $45 on board on RCCL. I think that was a conservative number.

Also, it sounds like OP is traveling in Europe. It's more expensive there!

I would switch for the straight up convenience factor. I wouldn't want to be at the pool wishing I had a sprite and have to trek it back to my room to get a cold one of the not-so-cold fridge in our room. Even if you don't drink alcohol, there's just something about being on vacation on a boat and drinking a fruity frozen drink. Even without alcohol. When I was a kid I drank virgin strawberry daiquiris like there were going out of style. At $7-10 a pop- I wouldn't even think about the OBC.

Edited by Bluefox

We do both. :D I'm a pop (soda) freak and there's just times that going up and getting a drink from one of the bars is not convenient and I always have a stash in my room that I brought on with me.

As for buying the soda package, if you wait until you get onboard, they allow you to buy the package then (instead of forcing the entire room to purchase it). :) We do it each time.

I do to like a few drinks on a cruise especially cocktails but the cost of the UBP for me was far too high I would not drink enough to cover the cost (I couldnt get it free)

With the promotion you get to pick one- for FREE. Which means it doesn't matter if you have 1 drink or 50 during your cruise. It's still free.

So $200 towards whatever on board or free drinks the entire cruise. The only charges I ever have had when being on board, is for drinks. So, I'd rather know that I'm covered on that end. I always pay for excursions, tips & reservations beforehand.

Right- but I know people who drink bottled water and sodas all day. A 12 pack of liter water of Evian is $45 on board on RCCL. I think that was a conservative number.

Also, it sounds like OP is traveling in Europe. It's more expensive there!

I would switch for the straight up convenience factor. I wouldn't want to be at the pool wishing I had a sprite and have to trek it back to my room to get a cold one of the not-so-cold fridge in our room. Even if you don't drink alcohol, there's just something about being on vacation on a boat and drinking a fruity frozen drink. Even without alcohol. When I was a kid I drank virgin strawberry daiquiris like there were going out of style. At $7-10 a pop- I wouldn't even think about the OBC.

OP is booked on the Getaway out of Miami to the Caribbean.

The water on the ship is very good and if you take an empty water bottle (or several), you can refill it instead of carrying a lot of water.

We all have different preferences and desires, and some can be very expensive. It sounds like OP is

Edited by swedish weave

With the promotion you get to pick one- for FREE. Which means it doesn't matter if you have 1 drink or 50 during your cruise. It's still free.

So $200 towards whatever on board or free drinks the entire cruise. The only charges I ever have had when being on board, is for drinks. So, I'd rather know that I'm covered on that end. I always pay for excursions, tips & reservations beforehand.

Im in a studio cabin and the promotion wasnt available with these us solos were offered nothing for free !!!!!!!!!!

Hi all

Once onboard just purchase the soft drink package for you. That way you can have a soft drink anywhere on the ship anytime. It will be chilled and you needn't lug anything around for the privilege.

Don't bother with finding Pepsi to bring onboard, you're on vacation, relax.

Edited by Nola26

Hi there. From what people have said you can buy the soda package for individuals when on board and at sea (no state tax when at sea!). For carry on soda it's been advised to check it as luggage with a tag.

For ordering drinks on sofa package, you need the cruise card with sticker on it for each drink ordered. So one card cannot order 2 drinks.

On our last cruise, ordering a soda in the MDR was slow/crap. I started taking one in with me in the end it took so long to get one!

Hope it helps