If I prepay my gratuities before the cruise...

LuvTheSea14

I can appreciate that. Give me a chance... You'll find I'm fairly reasonable with a strong dose of misplaced sarcasm and questionable wit... :cool:

When you're done with those tipping threads, go seek out one of the many several-hundred post threads on smoking. Both of these topics are CC NCL Forum 101, and are pretty much required reading if one really wants understand some of attitude displayed around these topics. That said, I understand why someone wouldn't care to understand. It's a mess.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2068189

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2072080

Cheers!

Don't forget the smuggling threads! :eek: :D

I wasn't aware. I tip heavy always have always will. I put myself through college bar tending so I understand 18% is not good enough. I hope we all at least agree on that.

Sorry, can't agree on that. To me 18% is more than enough. I tip nothing more than the mandatory charges.

Don't forget the smuggling threads! :eek: :D

Yeah, those are always fun- especially when they claim to have the UBP and still need to smuggle. It's like 'Wow, how much alcohol does one needs for a week long trip...." :eek:

You said, and I quote, "room steward is paid from the DSC, not the cruise fare."

It's up there ^^^ in black and white. Your statement is incorrect. Don't try to change it now.

Any gratuities paid to my room steward will be based on service provided, not amount paid (or not) for DSC's.

The two are in NO way related.

You do know that 'gratuities' is the service charges on NCL , right? And The DSC - Discretionary / Daily Service Charges pretty much pays the staff that is cover by it right? Matter of fact, check the contract - there are no gratuities / tips in the wording. but says plenty about the service charges. Anything you pay out in cash is pretty much extra aka tips- Your room steward after finding out you remove the DSC can decide if they want to clean / fix your quarter, since technically they're not getting paid now from you.

If you pay him the 2 - 5 daily and have removed the DSC . He has to turn the money into pool for DSC distribution. Therefore he might only get about $1 to keep in the end.

That's if the room steward decides to go in there!:cool: Remember there's 2 sides to every story and room steward can claim they didn't see the payment in the room if the occupants remove the DSC. Who gets the free pass in that situation? The room steward. And that's even with photo or video evidence from the occupants.

Edited by maywell

WOW good morning everybody. Am I safe to assume our cabin steward and waiter get part of the DSC as we never remove this from our account? Then if they are above (often are) they get to keep the cash at the end we give them? IC waiter is generally the same person in the early AM as is the pool bartender most afternoons. As a rule I see these folk's on my last day because when I head to the pool my husbands soda is ready and my early AM coffee is always ready and right when I head to the IC counter. Even though I know with our coffee & soda cards they are tipped, but not with each order. Am I doing OK with how we do tipping. They all work so hard to make our vacation hassle free. I don't want to short change anybody and I'm a tad confused are they tipped or not with the service charge? I liked DSC so I wasn't running around with a stack of cards for everybody not just those who do the little extra for us up front.

WOW good morning everybody. Am I safe to assume our cabin steward and waiter get part of the DSC as we never remove this from our account? Then if they are above (often are) they get to keep the cash at the end we give them? IC waiter is generally the same person in the early AM as is the pool bartender most afternoons. As a rule I see these folk's on my last day because when I head to the pool my husbands soda is ready and my early AM coffee is always ready and right when I head to the IC counter. Even though I know with our coffee & soda cards they are tipped, but not with each order. Am I doing OK with how we do tipping. They all work so hard to make our vacation hassle free. I don't want to short change anybody and I'm a tad confused are they tipped or not with the service charge? I liked DSC so I wasn't running around with a stack of cards for everybody not just those who do the little extra for us up front.

Yes, the complimentary waiters and room stewards are part of the DSC - and yes, that is less cards and money to bring along especially since the buffet is included in the DSC as well.

You do know that 'gratuities' is the service charges on NCL , right? And The DSC - Discretionary / Daily Service Charges pretty much pays the staff that is cover by it right? Matter of fact, check the contract - there are no gratuities / tips in the wording. but says plenty about the service charges.

Once again, you are incorrect. DSC's are NOT gratuities, nor are they the sole source of pay for staff.

"What about Gratuities?

Unlike most other ships in the cruise industry, there is no required or recommended tipping on our ships for service that is generally rendered to all Guests. While you should not feel obligated to offer a gratuity, all of our staff are encouraged to “go the extra mile,” so they are permitted to accept cash gratuities for exceptional or outstanding service if you care to offer them. Also, certain staff positions (e.g., concierge, butler, youth program staff and beverage service) provide service on an individual basis to only some guests and do not benefit from the overall service charge. We encourage those Guests to acknowledge good service from these staff members with appropriate gratuities. Additionally, there is an 18% gratuity and spa service charge added for all spa and salon services, as well as an 18% gratuity and beverage service charge added for all beverage purchases and an 18% gratuity and specialty service charge added to all specialty restaurant dining and entertainment based dining."

"Why is there a service charge?

The reason there's a fixed service charge is an important one: Our Crew (as are the crew from other lines) is encouraged to work together as a team. Staff members including complimentary restaurant staff, stateroom stewards and behind-the-scenes support staff are compensated by a combination of salary and incentive programs that your service charge supports."

This is straight from NCL. "Daily Service Charges" and "gratuities" are two totally different things.

Even with paying full DSC's, unless you are handing cash directly to crew/staff onboard, you are paying $0 in gratuities.

Anything you pay out in cash is pretty much extra aka tips- Your room steward after finding out you remove the DSC can decide if they want to clean / fix your quarter, since technically they're not getting paid now from you.

And this is absolutely ludicrous!!! The job of a room steward, for which he/she is paid, is cleaning rooms. He/she cannot choose not to clean your room. ROFLMAO!!!

I'm a tad confused are they tipped or not with the service charge? I liked DSC so I wasn't running around with a stack of cards for everybody not just those who do the little extra for us up front.

According to NCL, DSC is NOT gratuities.

I applaud NCL for this position as gratuities are not something that should be required. Giving of gratuities is completely up to the giver's discretion, based on service received. (Notice I said "giving" not "paying" - "pay" is earned while "gifts" are freely given.)

In your case, those who "do the little extra" are the one's you'd be tipping in cash.

What about Gratuities?

Unlike most other ships in the cruise industry, there is no required or recommended tipping on our ships for service that is generally rendered to all Guests. While you should not feel obligated to offer a gratuity, all of our staff are encouraged to “go the extra mile,” so they are permitted to accept cash gratuities for exceptional or outstanding service if you care to offer them.

Why is there a service charge?

The reason there's a fixed service charge is an important one: Our Crew (as are the crew from other lines) is encouraged to work together as a team. Staff members including complimentary restaurant staff, stateroom stewards and behind-the-scenes support staff are compensated by a combination of salary and incentive programs that your service charge supports.

Edited by Wendy&Grumpy

Your room steward after finding out you remove the DSC can decide if they want to clean / fix your quarter, since technically they're not getting paid now from you. .

That is a ridiculous statement. They receive base pay and still must perform their duties, regardless of people adjusting their DSC.

Just to play Devil's Advocate here, why then does the promo offer "Free Gratuities"?

Because at one point NCL calls it DSC and at other times calls it gratuities.

I thought the same thing.....why didn't NCL say 'Free DSC'?

Harriet

That statement that was made has to be the most ridiculous statement ever. "if you remove your DSC your room steward doesn't have to clean your room" lmaoooo that's a really moronic statement

Disclaimer. I have never snd would never remove my DSC just stating a dumb response from someone who has me blocked otherwise I would have quoted her and responded directly to her. But I had to really laugh at her statement. Thats amazing she even thinks that never mind type it

Geri

I can appreciate that. Give me a chance... You'll find I'm fairly reasonable with a strong dose of misplaced sarcasm and questionable wit... :cool:

When you're done with those tipping threads, go seek out one of the many several-hundred post threads on smoking. Both of these topics are CC NCL Forum 101, and are pretty much required reading if one really wants understand some of attitude displayed around these topics. That said, I understand why someone wouldn't care to understand. It's a mess.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2068189

Cheers!

That's not really true because most of my best comments went by the wayside

:rolleyes:

You said, and I quote, "room steward is paid from the DSC, not the cruise fare."

It's up there ^^^ in black and white. Your statement is incorrect. Don't try to change it now.

Any gratuities paid to my room steward will be based on service provided, not amount paid (or not) for DSC's.

The two are in NO way related.

No. The fare really doesn't pay the crew which gets paid via the Service Charge.

No. The fare really doesn't pay the crew which gets paid via the Service Charge.

Not another one. :rolleyes:

Please, read entire posts before "correcting" the posters.

Crew is NOT "paid via the Service Charge."

Quotes taken directly from NCL's FAQ's are posted above, and here is the info from the ticket contract as well:

Service Charges: Certain members of Carrier’s crew are compensated by a combination of salary

and incentive programs that are funded in part by the service charge paid by each Guest. The charge ,

which is automatically added to your onboard account and subject to adjustment at your discretion, is

intended to reward service provided in all departments and job categories and is distributed to employees

according to Carrier's evaluation of job performance

...and then you can tell us exactly how you are so knowledgable about how the crew is paid?

If someone states something so factually, I'd like to know where these facts are coming from. I can only interpret public documents released by NCL, and everything I have read

states that the DSC is only part of a staff members compensation. I'm simply asking for the other poster to elaborate. No need to be snippy.

I was not being out of line. That poster seems quite confident the DSC is the only compensation for some staff. Which staff are they referring to, and what documentation can they reference to back that statement up? My comments on policy are based on documentation, I would think the same of others.

Edited by AEckhardt

Sorry, can't agree on that. To me 18% is more than enough. I tip nothing more than the mandatory charges.

That's fine I get that. To each their own. I don't agree but I also have had the experience of serving tourists all season long ( some great and others the most pretentious idiots you'd ever want to meet) making under 3.00/hour (your hourly wage differs from state to state) living off those tips so I have a different perspective.

Edited by Spirit25

Once again, you are incorrect. DSC's are NOT gratuities, nor are they the sole source of pay for staff.

You are correct, the crew also gets a base pay, which has been reported to be $50 to $100 a month. The rest of their income comes from the DSC.

If you look at any of the websites that speak about crew salaries. Those involved in the DSC, always say "depending on gratuities from passengers". If a room steward has 10 cabins (I know they have more) and gets $7 per day in tips based on two per cabin from each cabin, that would equal to $1,960 a month. But then we know, this is not a correct amount, because there are those that will remove or reduce their DSC.

Housekeeping (Room) Steward / Stewardess / Stateroom Attendant (daily cleaning of passenger cabins) - previous experience in this role in a hotel/resort is required. Fair command of English. Salary range: $1800-2200 U.S. per month, depending on gratuities from passengers. Possibilities for promotion to Head Room Steward.

Edited by NLH Arizona