If I prepay my gratuities before the cruise...

LuvTheSea14

Of course...but if you feel the need to tip more, you can just hand cash to whomever you feel deserves it.

If there is a problem, tell someone, so they can fix whatever issue you might have, so you don't have to adjust "down"!

Can I adjust them up or down if we feel that is necessary during the cruise.

Some cruise lines only allow you totally remove the gratuities . Keep in mind any cash you (if lowered or removed gratuities) will be put into a common pool for the staff. If you leave the gratuities , any extra you give stays with that staff member.

Hooray! Another tipping thread!

Wow, that's helpful...

Not everyone lives on these boards full time so they may not be aware that this is a subject that's been discussed before. Why the sarcasm?

Wow he doesn't stop! Isn't this forum designed so that we can all share ask and learn from each other?

Don't pay attention to him he was nasty to me on my last thread.

I want to pay my gratituities ahead of time just so I don't have that bill at the end and then I will use my OBC to tip for drinks and bring extra cash for dinners and my room steward etc.

Edited by Spirit25

Can I adjust them up or down if we feel that is necessary during the cruise.

If you pre-pay, they are paid and no you can't remove them. You where asking about tips last January thought you got the full and complete story then about tipping! Remember the crew works very hard for very little and whether you agree with how the cruiseline pays these people or not, don't take it out on the staff.

Wow, that's helpful...

Not everyone lives on these boards full time so they may not be aware that this is a subject that's been discussed before. Why the sarcasm?

Because tipping threads bring out the worst in NCL forums - its been 2 weeks since one has been started and deleted. Yes, you can adjust your DSC but remember to make note to Guest Services that you're tipping your waiter(s) and especially the room steward in cash if you're lowering it (room steward is paid from the DSC, not the cruise fare)

Because tipping threads bring out the worst in NCL forums - its been 2 weeks since one has been started and deleted. Yes, you can adjust your DSC but remember to make note to Guest Services that you're tipping your waiter(s) and especially the room steward in cash if you're lowering it (room steward is paid from the DSC, not the cruise fare)

I wasn't aware. I tip heavy always have always will. I put myself through college bar tending so I understand 18% is not good enough. I hope we all at least agree on that.

I wasn't aware. I tip heavy always have always will. I put myself through college bar tending so I understand 18% is not good enough. I hope we all at least agree on that.

Yeah, they get pretty bad. Dozens and dozens of pages full of frustrated vitriol and utter discontent.

You think my little one-liners are rude? Heh...please... Go read one of these tipping monster threads and get back to me. :cool:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2183316

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2184555

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2166776

Just pick one... I dare you! :)

Yeah, they get pretty bad. Dozens and dozens of pages full of frustrated vitriol and utter discontent.

You think my little one-liners are rude? Heh...please... Go read one of these tipping monster threads and get back to me. :cool:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2183316

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2184555

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2166776

Just pick one... I dare you! :)

This may be the first time I have found you amusing. Could be the first and only time.... I dunno about you just yet. :rolleyes:

(room steward is paid from the DSC, not the cruise fare)

Incorrect. DSC's are NOT gratuities. Staff is paid from fares and DSC's.

Why is there a service charge?

The reason there's a fixed service charge is an important one: Our Crew (as are the crew from other lines) is encouraged to work together as a team. Staff members including complimentary restaurant staff, stateroom stewards and behind-the-scenes support staff are compensated by a combination of salary and incentive programs that your service charge supports.

What about Gratuities?

Unlike most other ships in the cruise industry, there is no required or recommended tipping on our ships for service that is generally rendered to all Guests. While you should not feel obligated to offer a gratuity, all of our staff are encouraged to “go the extra mile,” so they are permitted to accept cash gratuities for exceptional or outstanding service if you care to offer them. Also, certain staff positions (e.g., concierge, butler, youth program staff and beverage service) provide service on an individual basis to only some guests and do not benefit from the overall service charge. We encourage those Guests to acknowledge good service from these staff members with appropriate gratuities. Additionally, there is an 18% gratuity and spa service charge added for all spa and salon services, as well as an 18% gratuity and beverage service charge added for all beverage purchases and an 18% gratuity and specialty service charge added to all specialty restaurant dining and entertainment based dining.

Edited by Wendy&Grumpy

Based on NCL material (such as Wendy's quoted info) I don't believe any staff member is paid solely by the DSC.

This may be the first time I have found you amusing. Could be the first and only time.... I dunno about you just yet. :rolleyes:

I can appreciate that. Give me a chance... You'll find I'm fairly reasonable with a strong dose of misplaced sarcasm and questionable wit... :cool:

When you're done with those tipping threads, go seek out one of the many several-hundred post threads on smoking. Both of these topics are CC NCL Forum 101, and are pretty much required reading if one really wants understand some of attitude displayed around these topics. That said, I understand why someone wouldn't care to understand. It's a mess.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2068189

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2072080

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2072080

Cheers!

Edited by triptolemus

Incorrect. DSC's are NOT gratuities. Staff is paid from fares and DSC's.

Why is there a service charge?

The reason there's a fixed service charge is an important one: Our Crew (as are the crew from other lines) is encouraged to work together as a team. Staff members including complimentary restaurant staff, stateroom stewards and behind-the-scenes support staff are compensated by a combination of salary and incentive programs that your service charge supports.

What about Gratuities?

Unlike most other ships in the cruise industry, there is no required or recommended tipping on our ships for service that is generally rendered to all Guests. While you should not feel obligated to offer a gratuity, all of our staff are encouraged to “go the extra mile,” so they are permitted to accept cash gratuities for exceptional or outstanding service if you care to offer them. Also, certain staff positions (e.g., concierge, butler, youth program staff and beverage service) provide service on an individual basis to only some guests and do not benefit from the overall service charge. We encourage those Guests to acknowledge good service from these staff members with appropriate gratuities. Additionally, there is an 18% gratuity and spa service charge added for all spa and salon services, as well as an 18% gratuity and beverage service charge added for all beverage purchases and an 18% gratuity and specialty service charge added to all specialty restaurant dining and entertainment based dining.

Their salary and incentive is supported by the DSC aka service charges which I underline from your quote. In simplest terms - they get paid by it. :cool:

Just tip the room steward $2 -5 a day if you're going to lower it or just clean own room. *shrug*

Edited by maywell

Their salary and incentive is supported by the DSC aka service charges which I underline from your quote. In simplest terms - they get paid by it. :cool:

Just tip the room steward $2 -5 a day if you're going to lower it or just clean own room. *shrug*

You said, and I quote, "room steward is paid from the DSC, not the cruise fare."

It's up there ^^^ in black and white. Your statement is incorrect. Don't try to change it now.

Any gratuities paid to my room steward will be based on service provided, not amount paid (or not) for DSC's.

The two are in NO way related.

Okay... but watch what this thread turns into! :)

Perhaps. I've only been frequenting the NCL Boards for the last few months, but IMO I see you contribute your ascerbic two cents worth on many forums without really making any worthwhile contribution. It has the net effect of driving newer members away. To me that flies in the face of the spirit of this venue.

If you pay him the 2 - 5 daily and have removed the DSC . He has to turn the money into pool for DSC distribution. Therefore he might only get about $1 to keep in the end.

Perhaps. I've only been frequenting the NCL Boards for the last few months, but IMO I see you contribute your ascerbic two cents worth on many forums without really making any worthwhile contribution. It has the net effect of driving newer members away. To me that flies in the face of the spirit of this venue.

Thank you for your unsolicited opinion. I appreciate it.

Wow, that's helpful...

Because using the search function will bring up literally hundreds of other thread where this has been discussed to death.