Platinum Tier Dining Question

welovebermuda

My husband and I will be sailing as platinum level Latitude members for the first time this summer. We are booked in two cabins, each of us with one of our teenage sons and it appears that each of us will receive dinner at Le Bistro for two. I'm assuming this means that each of us will be able to bring one of sons and all four of us will have a complimentary meal? Please correct me if I'm wrong. I'm also wondering if we can pick the night and time we'd like to go, or does NCL offer this perk at a specified night / time only? Finally, is there an option to "trade" for either Moderno (same cover charge) or La Cucina ($15.00 vs the $20 at Le Bistro) if we prefer those menus instead?

Thanks for any info! I'm even more excited about going home with laundry done. With teenagers, this is the ultimate perk! :-)

Welcome to your newer "club" - first, perks & benefits are subject to change with & without notice (sort of my standard disclaimers, CYA or going to get flamed)

General answer is YES to all your questions, your Guest Keycards will be marked with your new Latitude status & even your room stewards will know, as they are setting up your 2 staterooms & putting in the "perks" - hopefully, remained unchanged up to your sailing dates.

You should get 2 coupons for LeBistro dining for 2 people (a guest + member) plus 1 choice of 750ml wine for each member, ours on the Breakaway was good for any day of the week ... it can be used for La Cucina but not for Moderno (last change in rules) nor upgraded for Cagney's by paying the difference - you can make the reservations for free once you are onboard, subject to availability.

Yes, 2 big bags of laundry done for free (suggest: do it by morning of Day 4 to get it back by end of Day 5 or morning of Day 6) and priority tendering if used, and priority disembarkation - if you can't wait to go home at the end, LOL.

On of the last two ships we were on, Moderno was included, but can't remember which one. So I guess each ship sets that policy. It was stated which restaurants on the back of the certificates. Otherwise, use or plan your free meals just as if you were going to pay for them. Only difference is you hand over the certificate instead of signing for a charge. Oh. You should get two bottles of wine, wine that you select from the complimentary wine list they will offer you. You don't have to have it opened if you don't wish. You can take it with you .

Edited by roger001

Thank you both for the great info! One more question re the wine: are we allowed to bring the bottles to the dining room, or is strictly for in the cabins? And now that I'm thinking of it, is there also a priority embarkation for platinum members? I know there is a separate embarkation for haven and suite passengers.

Thank you both for the great info! One more question re the wine: are we allowed to bring the bottles to the dining room, or is strictly for in the cabins? And now that I'm thinking of it, is there also a priority embarkation for platinum members? I know there is a separate embarkation for haven and suite passengers.

For the wine, you will receive a special wine list at Le Bistro when you're there for dinner. You can choose from that list. You can bring back to your cabin anything that's left in the bottle, or you can have them take it and store it. They will give you a chit for it, and the next time you want wine with your meal, you can hand over the chit at any restaurant and they'll track down your bottle(s).

For the wine, you will receive a special wine list at Le Bistro when you're there for dinner. You can choose from that list. You can bring back to your cabin anything that's left in the bottle, or you can have them take it and store it. They will give you a chit for it, and the next time you want wine with your meal, you can hand over the chit at any restaurant and they'll track down your bottle(s).

Thank you; I misunderstood! I thought the wine was in our cabins. So looking forward to this cruise!

I suggest making your restaurant reservations as early in your cruise as possible. With the promos going on, they specialty restaurants get booked up fast. Try to do it the first day for whatever day you choose to dine. You may also be able to book on line before your cruise.

Re - Your other question about the wine. You will get a bottle at the restaurant for each voucher, and will also have a bottle of "bubbly" in the cabin as a platinum perk.

Edited by swedish weave

OP, dependinng on which ship & port you are sailing out of this summer, you do have "priority check-in" although the lines can be just as long especially if you arrive early - that's different than "priority boarding" but still, Platinum members in NY port are usually given low Zone # too.

We arrived last month later than our usual time @ home port, around 11 AM and still manage to clear security in 10 minutes, got directed to use the Haven check-in area in the back as Platinum & got our key cards in 10 minutes, and waited about 20 or 25 minutes before boarding began for most, including Haven/VIP/Suite & Special Needs before our Zone 2 got called. Got to the MDR before noon & among the first to get seated by the window & enjoy lunch served to us - and, (download & pre-install first at home/work - free app) use the activated iConcierge to immediate check for openings & book 2 nights of LeBistro dinner, without calling or standing in line. (This is something everyone can do, of course - but not everyone is aware of & cellular signal inside the terminal & up on the ship's steel hull isn't solid or great)

If you have tender ports - your Platinum status entitled you to Priority Tendering (your welcome packets will have detailed info on when & where to meet, etc.) and at the end of the cruise (Priority Disembarkation - behind the Express Self Walkoff but ahead of most with luggage ready & waiting inside the terminal, sorte by color & quicker exit thru CBP). Photo discount is now 25% for non-packages & non-specials. All these are subjec to change, but it's nice to know you do have it.

send from my Google Nexus 5/7 MD via Tapatalk

Edited by mking8288

Wow! All great info; thanks! We are on the BA to Bermuda. We've never really thought much about Latitudes before, but some of these perks are great! My sons are not listed as latitudes members online, yet they've been on all of the cruises with us that have put us at platinum. I'm assuming when they are 18 they'll both be listed at platinum as well?

Wow! All great info; thanks! We are on the BA to Bermuda. We've never really thought much about Latitudes before, but some of these perks are great! My sons are not listed as latitudes members online, yet they've been on all of the cruises with us that have put us at platinum. I'm assuming when they are 18 they'll both be listed at platinum as well?

Yes, they will be "credited" all their previous cruises when they turn 18.

You should get 2 coupons for LeBistro dining for 2 people (a guest + member) plus 1 choice of 750ml wine for each member, ours on the Breakaway was good for any day of the week ... it can be used for La Cucina but not for Moderno (last change in rules) nor upgraded for Cagney's by paying the difference - you can make the reservations for free once you are onboard, subject to availability.

With everything going on ...I must have missed that Moderno was not an option.....can anyone clarify re: use of coupon (on GEM) either at Le Bistro or Moderno. Thanks..

With everything going on ...I must have missed that Moderno was not an option.....can anyone clarify re: use of coupon (on GEM) either at Le Bistro or Moderno. Thanks..

The Platinum dinner voucher used to be valid in three restaurants, for either Le Bistro, La Cucina (Italian) or the Asian fusion restaurant - never in Moderno. Now that the Asian fusion restaurant is complimentary, they might change it, but as far as I know, that has not happened until now.....???

Edited by TrumpyNor

You will additionally receive a bottle of champagne in each of your staterooms that can be exchanged for a bottle of wine at most bars or with the cruise consultant.

Unfortunately no champagne, but sparkling wine, or so they call it. Definitely a good idea to try to trade it for a bottle of wine, IMO.

My husband and I will be sailing as platinum level Latitude members for the first time this summer. We are booked in two cabins, each of us with one of our teenage sons and it appears that each of us will receive dinner at Le Bistro for two. I'm assuming this means that each of us will be able to bring one of sons and all four of us will have a complimentary meal? Please correct me if I'm wrong. I'm also wondering if we can pick the night and time we'd like to go, or does NCL offer this perk at a specified night / time only? Finally, is there an option to "trade" for either Moderno (same cover charge) or La Cucina ($15.00 vs the $20 at Le Bistro) if we prefer those menus instead?

Thanks for any info! I'm even more excited about going home with laundry done. With teenagers, this is the ultimate perk! :-)

I am sure I am repeating what others have said but yes, you are each entitled to dinner for two and yes, you can choose to use a different restaurant. We usually use Le Bistro and Modernos. and no, there is no set night. We usually make our reservations the day we board or the following morning. That way we get the time we want. BTW, not always will the letter state Modernos is a choice but if you check with the restaurant or guest services they will clarify this with you. On the Pearl it was mentioned, on the Dawn it was not. We always exchange our bubbly which is in our cabin for a bottle of red wine. Any bar will do this for you, some with a smile, some without.

Edited by newmexicoNita

Welcome to your newer "club" - first, perks & benefits are subject to change with & without notice (sort of my standard disclaimers, CYA or going to get flamed)

General answer is YES to all your questions, your Guest Keycards will be marked with your new Latitude status & even your room stewards will know, as they are setting up your 2 staterooms & putting in the "perks" - hopefully, remained unchanged up to your sailing dates.

Yes, 2 big bags of laundry done for free (suggest: do it by morning of Day 4 to get it back by end of Day 5 or morning of Day 6) and priority tendering if used, and priority disembarkation - if you can't wait to go home at the end, LOL.

When was it changed? We just used it for Modernos 2 weeks ago and our daughter did last week?

Two weeks ago on the Jewel, we could use it in Moderno. Since the Asian restaurant is now free, you won't need a ticket there.

The bubbly from the room usually has to be exchanged in one of the MDRs since it is inventoried through room service and northeast. You don't need to eat there, just go to the desk inthe restaurant. There are only two choices. St Catalina Chardonnay or a house red, but don't recall what it is.

There is a little stricter dress code for LeBistro, just be aware. Nothing fancy, just resort casual. The dress code is on the website somewhere.

Enjoy!

When was it changed? We just used it for Modernos 2 weeks ago and our daughter did last week?

That info came from others, including njhorseman - different ships at different times ?, and supposingly from pre-concierge ?? recently for another CC'er - post #131 http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2195296&page=7&highlight=moderno+and+platinum

Our coupons on the BA was fine with Moderno but LeBistro is our usually preference.

The Platinum dinner voucher used to be valid in three restaurants, for either Le Bistro, La Cucina (Italian) or the Asian fusion restaurant - never in Moderno. Now that the Asian fusion restaurant is complimentary, they might change it, but as far as I know, that has not happened until now.....???

We usually use one of ours at LeBistro and one at Moderno each cruise. Not sure why you think it is never able to be used in Moderno. Must just be the ship you were on. We've used it at Moderno on the Dawn, Breakaway and the Gem in the past two years alone. Each voucher says where it can be used.

Not to say this hasn't or won't change too.

Edited by peg013

This was posted on a new thread about the UDP that has a quoted message from the NCL website. Thanks to UPNYguy. I don't think there are any changes to Platinum members, I am not there yet.....

I know many of you have lots of concern about the UDP, so I started a new thread (and threw a post in the other one). This was just put up on the UDP FAQ page...

For Sailings on or after July 3rd, 2015

The Ultimate Dining Package (UDP) is available via pre-sell or onboard purchase on days 1 and 2 of the voyage only. On 3-day sailings the package is only for sale on day 1. No refunds are available if fewer restaurants are visited. The UDP is nontransferable. Reservations are not required for UDP guests, however, tables reserved onboard will be subject to availability for reservations made 24 hours in advance. We encourage you to log in to My NCL to make dining reservations in advance for specific night(s) of your cruise. An 18% gratuity and specialty service charge will be added to the package price. A 25% discount applies to all a la carte and entertainment based dining and select Specialty Restaurants (Not included in the Ultimate Dining Package). These venues include: Sushi, Raw Bar, Food Republic, Hot Rock, Tapas Bar, Noodle Bar, Ocean Blue, Ocean Blue on The Waterfront, The Cellars, The District, Murder Mystery, Cirque Dreams & Dinner, Illusionarium, Supper Club, Wine Lovers, Pajama Jam, Bayamo and Pincho by Jose Garces. The UDP does not include beverages or corresponding gratuity. No kids pricing available for UDP. Excludes all 1 and 2 day sailings. Includes add-ons in Le Bistro such as Fruit de Mer, Lobster and Cote De Boeuf. Does not apply to special occasion/holiday menus (New Year’s, Christmas, etc.). Latitudes Platinum Guests will receive a $20 discount on the UDP (as they receive 1 complimentary dinner in Le Bistro). $10 per each additional main course will be charged in Le Bistro & Cagney’s. Chef’s Table, Jazz Brunch, Carlo’s Bake Shop items, Ice Cream Bar, Pizza 24/7 and Gelato are not part of the package.

This looks like they are prepping for the BA+ ships, and are stipulating what restaurants are going to be included (and excluded) from the UDP *before* the Escape sails. I do not foresee any issues with Cagney's, as the almost 140 page thread implied. While we can only wait and see, this is what is up now. It looks like ample notice.

Edited by gwsster

Unfortunately no champagne, but sparkling wine, or so they call it. Definitely a good idea to try to trade it for a bottle of wine, IMO.

Actually, it's champagne.......just not by name. And rather than swap it, we keep it until the last night. Then we sit out on the balcony and using some OJ I secure from the morning buffet, have some fine mimosas, while watching the ocean slip past and us reflecting on another fine cruise. Mimosas (orange juice added to the bubbly) makes any quality bubbly taste fine. Here's a cut and paste about champagne vs sparking wine.

What's the difference between Champagne and Sparking Wine? The easy and short answer: A sparkling wine should only be called Champagne if it comes from the region of Champagne, France. Period.

Some California producers still attach the word Champagne to their products, but when you think about this it’s odd: if somebody in France produced a wine called “Napa Valley Merlot” it wouldn’t make any sense, would it? Well, a “Champagne” produced just north of San Francisco is just as guilty.

In other words, all Champagne is sparkling wine, but not all sparkling wine is Champagne. (And not all producers are created equally … we have a love affair with our Grower-Producers in particular.)

• 4 weeks later...
That info came from others, including njhorseman - different ships at different times ?, and supposingly from pre-concierge ?? recently for another CC'er - post #131 http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2195296&page=7&highlight=moderno+and+platinum

Our coupons on the BA was fine with Moderno but LeBistro is our usually preference.

I was the poster who was told by pre concierge that I would not be able to use a platinum dinner voucher at Moderno on the Star. They were adamant that the $20 cover charge would apply to the reservation I asked them to make. The update is, they were wrong. The dinner voucher clearly stated it could be used for Le Bistro, Moderno or La Cucina. We used it for Moderno, but our 3rd try of Moderno was still not a charm. On the Star, it is a small venue now on 13. We waited 30 minutes for a table. Then, an hour later, we had only been served one piece of meat. We had filled up on the salad bar and just left with our bottle of wine.

The laundry voucher said 2 bags per Platinum member, but I suspect it was a left over voucher from the 2 week transatlantic before our 9 day cruise. We used 1 bag each with no problem at all.